• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clutch

clutch(updated)

My clutch pedal seems to be sticking when I release it.When I gradually take pressure of the pedal nothing happens until I have almost no pressure left then it suddenly comes up.And it only does this for the first 3/4 inch after that it releases good.

I know it's an after market clutch but don't know what kind.Does this sound like a clutch issue or just the pedal sticking.

Last edited:
Can you shift it into any gear with the car off and the clutch pedal pressed all the way in?

If not, then it might be your master/slave cylinder for the clutch. When this goes bad, the pedal will sit on the floor or feel mushy with little resistance. The clutch is probably fine. Check the fluid under the hood (the small reservoir next to the brake fluid) if its low or gone then you should replace both the master and slave cylinders and flush the system. This can run anywhere from $350-$500 in labor and about $200 in parts if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

this is typical of air in the clutch system of a shot master cylinder.

its not a clutch issue.

i would first bleed the clutch system. if this does not resolve the issue, a replacement is in order.

happy motoring

Rob:smile:

I just bought the car and the previous owner gave me a receipt from the dealer showing that they have replaced the master cylinder 4000 miles ago.I also just notice that it says on the work order that it was for the same reason that they changed it.

Anyway I will try bleeding and see what happens.

Where do I find the helper spring.

Where do I find the helper spring.

On the pedal shaft , unlikly to be that though , easy to check though . Can only be that or air in the system , or a bad master cylinder/slave cylinder , connections etc . When you do bleed it make sure you bubble the bleed screw output into fresh oil with a hose as per the manual .

make sure get some speedbleeder while you at it.

It's one of the best parts I ever used, and you could bleed your clutch and brakes by yourself.

Hey guys.Been busy last couple of weeks but I finally got around to bleeding the clutch.I went for a small test drive and the clutch feels awesome.

Thanks for all your help

Re: clutch (Updated)

Went out again and after driving for a little bit it started doing it again.Seems when I leave home it"s fine for the first 20 minutes and then it starts acting up again.I'm bring it to the shop this afternoon to try to bleed it again.Is there something else we should look for.

Check your fluid level. Sounds like it is leaking for sure. Recheck master AND slave for leaking. Also check the flex line going into the slave on the transmission. Did they change the master only? If so, time to check the slave:).

HTH,
LarryB

Re: clutch (Updated)

Went out again and after driving for a little bit it started doing it again.Seems when I leave home it"s fine for the first 20 minutes and then it starts acting up again.I'm bring it to the shop this afternoon to try to bleed it again.Is there something else we should look for.

Replace both the master and slave cylinders then bleed the system. :wink:

Bleeded the clutch again and check for leaks.Found no leaks.Still have the problem.

I guess the only thing left is change the slave cylinder.Were is the best place to buy one?The dealer?And how much.

The guy that help me bleed the clutch is a mechanic but has never worked on a NSX.When we were bleeding I was in the car and he was under the car.While bleeding the fork somehow came undone.He was able to put it back in place and he said that it felt like it snap back on the bearing.After witch the clutch worked better than ever before but only lasted 1 day.Do I have an issue here.Is there something else supposed to hold the fork or does it just snap on the bearing.

Bleeded the clutch again and check for leaks.Found no leaks.Still have the problem.

I guess the only thing left is change the slave cylinder.Were is the best place to buy one?The dealer?And how much.

The guy that help me bleed the clutch is a mechanic but has never worked on a NSX.When we were bleeding I was in the car and he was under the car.While bleeding the fork somehow came undone.He was able to put it back in place and he said that it felt like it snap back on the bearing.After witch the clutch worked better than ever before but only lasted 1 day.Do I have an issue here.Is there something else supposed to hold the fork or does it just snap on the bearing.

So you only replaced the master cylinder? If so DOH! You should always replace both at the same time... The particles from the bad slave cylinder could 'infect' the master cylinder causing it to fail prematurely. Have them both replaced. You won't always get a visible leak. Check behind the carpet under the clutch pedal. Thats where mine was leaking and I had no idea or signs of leakage. Also, it doesn't have to be leaking to fail. The rubber seals inside the cylinders can also deteriorate and cause internal leaks.

So yea replace BOTH and bleed it with NEW fluid...

The previous owners is the one that replaced it.

The previous owners is the one that replaced it.

Ok then yea you never know what kind of quality of work was done before... Its not too expensive to replace both... should be about ~$450 w/ parts and labor from the dealer.. GL and let us know how it goes.

Even though the master cylinder was changed at the dealer 4000 miles ago you think I should change it again.

Even though the master cylinder was changed at the dealer 4000 miles ago you think I should change it again.

I would say yes... 4k miles is not bad but you dont want to be in this same situation again right? :)

I am starting to experience the same problem. I recent put in a brand new clutch, and I am noticing the engagement starting to get lower and lower. The clutch pedal sticks when the car is cold. It gets better when its warmed up.

Putting in a new clutch means new fluid right? I have no idea when the master and slave cylinders were replaced, so I'm gonna replace those for sure.

Edit: is there a need to replace any hoses?

Last edited:
I finally got around to change the slave cylinder and so far it seems to work good .

I spoke to soon.It only lasted a few days.At least it is no longer sticking when I release the pedal.But it goes hard when I push it in.

Before I bring it into the dealer and get the trans removed to check it out further is there anything else I could check.And if I bring it in how many hours of labor to remove and re install the trans

I spoke to soon.It only lasted a few days.At least it is no longer sticking when I release the pedal.But it goes hard when I push it in.

Before I bring it into the dealer and get the trans removed to check it out further is there anything else I could check.And if I bring it in how many hours of labor to remove and re install the trans

When the spave is changed, there is a small o-ring in the clutch hose that should be changed. This may be the source of your leak. As Larry suggested, you may want to look at the hose itself.

If the master was changed recently, and is not leaking (it's easy to verify visually) I would not waste money replacing it again.

regards,
-- Chris

There is not leaks what so ever.Fluid doesn't go down and everything is dry under the car

check under the drivers side footwell carpet....you might find residue there. The amounts are not that large that puddling will occur:)

the connecting hose/s is/are a common problem.

Back