• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coil-Overs

I think this is the right forum... I am looking to lower my 91 NSX

I am going to go with coil-overs but I am told they really make the ride rough.

Can anyone give my an idea of the coil-overs they are running (brand) and what the ride is like with a 1 - 1.5" drop?

I am looking at Tein's, D2 or Ksport

Thanks

Re: Coil-0vers

I have had Tein RA and currently Tein Superstreets. Tein RA probably best used in the tracks. Less comfortable than stock. Tein Superstreets on the other hand is more comfortable than stock depending on how much you adjust the damper setting.

Very true, I have Tein RA and they are a firm coilover setup. RA stands for race and I'd agree thats probably what they're best for.

I thought the RA's had a better ride quality than the Flex. D2 isn't a well known company and the support might be questionable as well. Stick with companies that are well represented and well known. JIC FLT-A2, HKS Hypermax III, K-Sport, or KW Variant 3 would be better choices.

I thought the RA's had a better ride quality than the Flex. D2 isn't a well known company and the support might be questionable as well. Stick with companies that are well represented and well known. JIC FLT-A2, HKS Hypermax III, K-Sport, or KW Variant 3 would be better choices.
Those brands are in a different pricing level. (fair bit higher)

I've heard a few things about D2 they seem to be al right stuff for the price.
K-Sport is good too.

Tein is well known too better than D2 or K-Sport.

Although if your budget allows it JIC, HKS, KW are the one's to get.
But for a lower budget and just for lowering the others will do.

I don't believe its worth it to 'cheap out' on a <$1,500 coilover. In that case I would say its better to stay with stock or go with Bilsteins or Konis with lowering springs.

INVEST in your suspension, its the 1 thing you have to live with and feel every second you're in your car -that affects, safety, performance, ride quality, comfort, etc...

cheap out is generally not a great idea.
although if your just looking for the drop and want something more than just springs and shocks.
But not really going to race it or want major improvement, i think it's acceptable just make sure your not going to want more any time soon.

I am not really trying to go "cheap" I am trying trying to think about where I want to put my money and not waste it. I am never going to race this car. I drive agressive but I am also in Omaha, so about 5 months of the year it is in the garage.

Main goal is to lower the car and obviously put something on there that will enhance the ride. so I was going to go with Bilstein shocks and lowering springs but it seems that you can easily spend a grand doing that. Well if I am going to spend a grand, I can get Tein's for $1300.00. however I have always been told that coil-overs are pretty harsh so I am trying to find the best of both worlds.

There is a guy on here that is selling D2's (custom for the NSX). Retailer out of Virginia. he says they will be custom made and delivered in a couple of weeks. Although D2 is not as big as Tein, why would support be of concern?

I am not really trying to go "cheap" I am trying trying to think about where I want to put my money and not waste it. I am never going to race this car. I drive agressive but I am also in Omaha, so about 5 months of the year it is in the garage.

Main goal is to lower the car and obviously put something on there that will enhance the ride. so I was going to go with Bilstein shocks and lowering springs but it seems that you can easily spend a grand doing that. Well if I am going to spend a grand, I can get Tein's for $1300.00. however I have always been told that coil-overs are pretty harsh so I am trying to find the best of both worlds.

There is a guy on here that is selling D2's (custom for the NSX). Retailer out of Virginia. he says they will be custom made and delivered in a couple of weeks. Although D2 is not as big as Tein, why would support be of concern?

Although some consider D2 cheaping out, I wouldn't say that is true. What I would tell you is the more inexpensive coilovers tend to have a harsher ride and ussually do fine on the track as far as bang for buck.

where I think you woulnd't be wasting your money is on a nicer set of either JRZ's/moton's/KW's because you will be doing so much more street duty. track conditions are ussually better than street.. atleast here in california. for the long term I still feel the 3 I mentioned are the way to go for daily grinds and still being comfy if ride height adjustability is needed.

I personally have Koni's with H&R's and they are great I just want more adjustability for when I start tracking it and for that reason alone I will be upgrading soon. I tend to be from Mike C's group of thinking pay once cry once. spend the money once and be done with it and you will never be left wanting something more and spending 2-3 times in search of better.

Its custom spring rate to accommodate your preference and D2 is serviceable in USA because they are rebuildable incase you hit a very big pot hole several times and blow out your shocks. They are based in NC.

The two most comfortable coilovers I've rode on the NSX are the HKS Hypermax and Tein Superstreet. I always go for well known brands for proven reliability and safety. It's on my daily driven car for more than 3 years now.

I have had the following coilovers on my NSX:

1) Comptech Pro
2) JRZ's
3) Tein RE's
4) KW V3

- The Comptech Pro is perfect if you don't mind the 1000lb(F) and 600lb(R) spring rate. The handling was tight, but too harsh for me. Retail @ $3,500.00

- The JRZ's was a vast improvement over the Comptech Pro's in terms of ride quality. I was able to lower my NSX to the height I preferred without the ride becoming more harsh. Retail @ $4,500.00

- Upon a friends suggestion, I tried the Tein RE's and they were good, but I encountered to much metal to metal noise. I was told if I had used the OEM hats, that might have eliminated the noise. Or its possible, there was an installation issue. Retail @ $2,000.00 give or take a couple of hundred dollars.

- I was fortunate enough to be one of the first to have the KW V3 installed and I have to say KW hit a home run. They met my requirements from a ride perspective (very compliant) aesthetically, I was able to lower the NSX to where I wanted it too and the price point was much better than the Comptech Pro's and JRZ's. Plus we also have Billy Johnson to answer any questions you or we may have. In fact, Billy has a thread that talks to a base line setting for the KW's, which can be your starting point. BTW, OUM hats were used for my installation. Retail @ $2,599.99

I also have the KW V3's on my BMW 540IT and they work just as well as they do on my NSX.

If you can you should take a ride with NSX's that have the coil overs you are considering, then take a ride with an NSX that has a set of KW's installed and I guarantee that you will want to save the extra dollars to buy the KW's.

The prices I listed is an approximate retail price. If you do search on NSXPrime there are group buys posted.

Just to let you know my opinion is coming from a Senior Citizen perspective.

Good Luck.

Mike

Last edited:

I care about real world performance on some of our bumpy, NON-RACETRACK roadways. I recommend going with the softer springs like oem or Zanardi and putting them on the lower perch of Bilstein shocks. You can then compliment them with stiffer swaybars like the adjustable Dali Street/Track set.

Softer springs give a better ride over rougher conditions and the adjustable stiffer sways will help with body roll and fine tune it's over/under steer characteristics.

With aftermarket coilovers, I've noticed they are absolute handling monsters when roads are extremely smooth. But when the roads start getting bumpy and rough, I find that the stiff coilovers start to cause the wheels to skip and cause the front end to push or the rear end swings out.

Last edited:
I have had the following coilovers on my NSX:

1) Comptech Pro
2) JRZ's
3) Tein RE's
4) KW V3
Good writeup! :)

I care about real world performance on some of our bumpy, NON-RACETRACK roadways. I recommend going with the softer springs like oem or Zanardi and putting them on the lower perch of Bilstein shocks. You can then compliment them with stiffer swaybars like the adjustable Dali Street/Track set.

Softer springs give a better ride over rougher conditions and the adjustable stiffer sways will help with body roll and fine tune it's over/under steer characteristics.

With aftermarket coilovers, I've noticed they are absolute handling monsters when roads are extremely smooth. But when the roads start getting bumpy and rough, I find that the stiff coilovers start to cause the wheels to skip and cause the front end to push or the rear end swings out.
If you are going to spend $800-1,300 on a suspension, I still think a Koni/Eibach lowering spring setup (or Bilstein/Swift) would be better than a cheap coilover. Cheap coilovers are often under-sprung, have poor damping characteristics, and not much suspension travel (compression or droop/rebound) which makes for a very upsetting ride.

Cheap coilovers rely on stiff springs to overcome their poor dampers to reduce body roll and 'increase performance'. With a lack of compression and rebound travel, and the stiff springs with poor dampers, they WILL 'skip' over bumps, be very upsetting and give a harsh ride. This poor damper/stiff spring combination/lack of travel causes the car to push/understeer than snap into oversteer which is provoked over bumps.

Bottoming out or hitting the droop limit in cheap coilovers (as well as the poor damping characteristics) play a HUGE role in ride quality and handling performance.

Like stock, a Koni/Bilstein Eibach/Swift setup has much more compression and rebound/droop travel than most cheap coilovers. This keeps the tires on the ground and makes for a more compliant and predictable ride.

Good coilovers like JRZ/Moton/KW (Variant 3 and 3-way motorsports)/Penske all have a lot more droop travel and higher quality dampers than cheap coilovers. There is a reason why a high-sprung JRZ/Moton/KW rides better than an equally stiff or even softer cheap coilover. The double and triple-adjustable characteristics are very useful in fine-tuning the handling and comfort of the car on the street or track compared to cheap coilovers which go from under-damped and 'springy' to kidney-punching stiff and not compliant.

Suspension is a very complex and involved component. Plus it affects your ride quality and performance every second you're in the car.

INVEST in a good suspension. If you cant go with the likes of a good coilover, I would probably say its better to go with a good shock/spring combo then pay for the name 'coilover' and live with the compromises of a cheap setup.

Funny thing, my Girlfriend was riding in my KW V3-equipped NSX and said it rode better than my M3 on Koni/H&R lowering springs and especially more than my Tein equipped MR2 Turbo, "comparable to her stock suspension 3-series BMW on stock suspension". Granted they are different platforms, take it for what its worth.

Billy

Last edited:
I have the ARK coilovers on my NSX and I can't say much about how they compare to others since they came with the car, but I do know that I like them a lot more than the Tein coilovers that are on my TL.

25941_10150098434290710_313808180709_11412395_3743032_n.jpg

25941_10150098434310710_313808180709_11412396_4937376_n.jpg

25941_10150098434345710_313808180709_11412397_6797111_n.jpg

25941_10150098434370710_313808180709_11412398_5836173_n.jpg

Just installed these D2's for an RSX. 36 way adjustable. It rides good almost like stock. Firm but not harsh.

Back