• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

collection

So my wife has been getting calls from a collection agency ("AAAA"), in regards to something, I guess a bill, or possibly getting sued. She keeps missing the calls, but inevidably, she'll end up picking up - and then what?

I can't think of what it could be, except for one thing a couple of years back for a few hundred dollars....... in California. It could be that, or it could be something like forgetting to pay a utility bill for a house I previously owned, which I wouldn't object to paying back. Also, I have received a number of certified mail "misses" at my old house which currently has a tenant. I don't know what it is, but I figure if I don't get something that someone wants to send me certified mail, they'll call me, unless I'm being sued or subpoeana.

My credit score is really good and I don't want to screw it up, but I'm also afraid it could be something really big, like maybe it's now more than a thousand dollars b/c of stupid interest and fees, or someone is suing me and I don't know about it. I checked my credit score a few weeks ago, and it was over 800..

Any recommendation on what to do? I know if I pick up, they will say "made contact" and have more legal authority. As I siad, the weird thing is that they call my wife, and not my phone number, and also a *new* number that she didn't have when what I suspect might have been it.

What does it require to hit your credit for that to happen? Don't they need to establish contact? Oh, one more thing, my father and I have the same name, however, if it were him, it would more likely go to his address, but you never know.

Last edited:
There are Statute of Limitations on Debts.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitations.shtml

Even if you did owe money it could be past the time they have to collect. Collection agencies are scum.

Good Luck
i suppose that's largely dependent on the side you sit on. (note i am not related to or in the collection business.)

are some (a majority?) debt collector's tactics mean-spirited, ruthless, illegal, etc? yup, i'm betting there's an awful lot of bad things that happen to good people as part of the debt collection process these days.

having said that, i bet from a provider's prospective, they're a last-resort means of collecting debt for services rendered / products delivered, etc.

Back