Color change from black to white without paint

3M shiny white tape. This is not my car, but I have used same tape on my window trim from chrome to black. Most people usually make comments such as "that looks good painted". If I tell them it is not paitned, they are usually pretty amazed. I also put wax over it.

Not only it protect your paint, keeping it new, hold up pretty well, and cost effective.

Before:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm starting to see more and more cars with sticker wraps here in Vegas. Although most of them usually have some crazy designs, funky logos and wild print jobs. If done well you can barely tell the car is wrapped, even up close.

I saw a post on Fchat about someone who wrapped their red F430 in flat black wrap. It defiantly looked interesting.

Prob makes sense on a F430 if you wanna try a new look without messing with the "prestige" paintjob. I don't see how it protects the paint long term though. I'd do this on a F-car too if I were to race it and then remove it after few runs. I had a 3M clearbra once and the paint was faded under it on the hood. I hope this was done just as a pruduct promo because putting that on a new 3 is pretty ridiculous. That finished look reminds me of a Rustoleum Job.

I guess if you know how to apply this stuff you could go do some bank heists.

edit: just read through the OP in the bimmer forum and saw some of the comments... tsk, tsk... some guy talking about wrapping his roof in carbon fiber tape! I remember an uproar of "ricer" comments on honda-tech when some guy was asking where to get the CF vinyl for his car...

I had my company fleet Xbs wrapped in the 3M product. Looks good from a distance, but you can still see the differences between paint and plastic.
Excellent product, but I would still go with paint. Nothing looks better than the deep wet look.

I have seen a Civic done in red wrapping...looks good from afar, but when your up close you can tell something is amist. Not much reflection(if you know what I mean) Good way to find out if your going to like a color before getting it painted. But I don't think its cheap.

this reminds me of that bruce willis movie "the jackal" where he paints his van white, then washes it off with a high-pressure hose. The sticker-paint scheme would be great for criminals -- rob a bank in a white car, come home and return it to black. (or maybe i've watched too many movies)

amazing... defintely lots of patience to do it right...

That looks like hefty tape too... wonder how much weight that stuff adds?

that is awesome,

It would be a fun joke to play on someone while they are shopping, changing the color of their car. Punked or whatever the show was on MTV.

The print shop on the other side of the ally does this treatment for all the local TV & radio stations and the like. The process is not fast, either on or off. It's a real skill. I have also seen several cars that looked like hash after the wrap was removed, but they may have looked just as bad before it was put on.

The ball park figure they told me when I got curious was about $2700 for an SUV sized vehicle, including the printwork, if you needed it.

They did a big ass RV coach once. Three guys and two days. I was afraid to ask the cost.

I saw this on the discovery channel I think it was. They wrapped a new Lotus in this stuff, and had the british flag printed on it. Came out perfect.

I never thought about it as a substitue for simply changing color. That's genius.

can you imagine doing this and getting like a bug or dirt or something stuck in there?? you'd have to start all over! :mad:

I saw this on the discovery channel I think it was. They wrapped a new Lotus in this stuff, and had the british flag printed on it. Came out perfect.

I never thought about it as a substitue for simply changing color. That's genius.
The discount air carrier Ryan air (the ones with the GBP20 fares from London/Stansted to most popular places in Europe) used to shrinkwrap their airliners in thin plastic that was printed with < whatever they could sell > advertising.

Seems that weight and longevity @ speed were not issues for a commercial jetliner. Probably not an issue for lighter, slower cars.

Back