• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Come on Acura, MORE POWER!!!

Well I, for one, WOULD have considered getting a new NSX for $75-80K, but I bought a 2nd hand '95 for $34.5K because it was a much better deal. Frankly, I have only bought one NEW car in the past 15 years, and it was, in my judgement, a mistake. I bought a NEW E55 2 years ago, because I mistakenly thought that it wasn't much more than a low mileage used one would cost. Nowadays, I could get the same car with under 20K miles on it, for $25K (or 1/3) less than my new one cost.

Whether my next car is a Benz, a Bimmer, a Lexus, a Toyota, a next gen NSX, a Porsche, or a Ferrari, it will be bought 2nd hand, because that's where the value is.

I also do the same. And this will work until people will buy new cars for us... then more and more people will buy used and the used car prices will go up in direction of teh new ones. This will make people think again between buying new or used... and the cycle will repeat.

I read an analysis (relative to the Swiss market, but should be valid in the US too) were most used car were valued 15% too low.
The expensive ones were in the 20% range (excluding Ferraris that are the one that keeps the value better, overall).

So, for example, a 60k$ bought 2000 BMW-M3 sells now for 40k$. The real value "should" be 20% more... also 48k$.

40k vs 60k makes a clear winner the used. The 48k vs 60k would make the customer think twice...

Gheba,

That's a good point on the new/used cycle. If every person on earth adopted the "only buy used" philosophy, however, the evolution of motorcars would obviously stop tomorrow.

New car sales are all that matters to a car manufacturer, so Honda needs to give people who ARE going to buy a new car a reason to buy the NSX; so far they haven't.

If you were never going to buy a new car anyway, then it's moot.

Back