• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Condensation in Trunk?!?!

I know all of our trunks get unusually hot with the NSX being a mid-engine vehicle, but does anyone else have their trunk get so hot that there's CONDENSATION?!?!

It's like a rainforest in my trunk. It got so hot that for whatever reason, it was damp and when I lifted the trunk, there were actually beads of water and water drops in some cases hanging from inside the trunk.

Has anyone had a similar experience and is there something wrong with my car?

Thanks,
Andrew

The water isnt in there because of the temperature differences, its probably leaking due to a poor seal on the rear lid, or a leaking taillight.

We had a local meet here in S. Orange County, CA a few weeks back and three of us were talking about this same thing.

One had condensation in the right tail lamp, the other had it only in the left tail lamp, and the final had it only in the center lamp. Each of us has had some condensation in the trunk.

I've gotten it once or twice when I was being a bit too liberal with the Meguiars Quik Detailer but not since.

I'd suggest you check your seals and check your tail lamps and if everything looks alright... not worry too much. It seems that quite a few of us experience this from time to time.

(BTW - none of the three of us reference earlier has problems when we wash the car, only when it's really hot)

I only have condensation if:

1. I put anything damp inside the trunk,
2. The area surrounding the trunk (around the trunk rim) is left wet.

I can be sure say that water is leaking into the trunk through the tail light. I'll be surprised if your trunk is that wet, and you not getting any condensation form inside the tail light. Since you are in TX, it will be a quick fix for you.

First thing first, check all the bolts and nuts of the tail light, while you at it, take all the wet things out and clean up the "gutter" namely, the area all around and underneath the trunk seal; then keep the trunk opened and let dry, It should go away rather quick. (that's why it's a quick fix in TX, try that in the winter in Seattle :rolleyes: ;) ).

Now if you already tightened the nuts and condensation still occur, most likely you are having some old or bad tail light gasket. Personally, I see the "bad" gasket still in very good shape, but for whatever reason, dirts, debris got trapped in it and/or someone else took the light out before (90% of the time that people had problem with the lights) and fail to tight it good.

Expensive fix: get some new oem gasket. (What I did, but I wouldn't if I'll need to do it again.)
Cheap and proven fix: go get some weather strips from your local hardware store, and make your own gasket, On top of the existing ones. It's proven that will fix the leaky condensed lights. My buddy's car condensation was so bad that, there's actually 'ponds' at the tool box areas and the water already kill his cd changer. Take me a good couple hours for clean up and install. 2-3 days later he had a dry trunk and dry tail lights, no more problem.

hope this help.

I had condensation in my trunk similar to yours. After I drilled some holes in my tail lights to let them drain, I no longer have this issue. As a side benefit, my tail lights don't have condensation either now.

HTH

ajchang said:
I know all of our trunks get unusually hot with the NSX being a mid-engine vehicle, but does anyone else have their trunk get so hot that there's CONDENSATION?!?!

It's like a rainforest in my trunk. It got so hot that for whatever reason, it was damp and when I lifted the trunk, there were actually beads of water and water drops in some cases hanging from inside the trunk.

Has anyone had a similar experience and is there something wrong with my car?

Thanks,
Andrew
simple solution. open trunk in hot sun. let it bake awhile. it will be fixed until you put something wet in the trunk again. bathing suit?

Fix this immediately!!

If the condensation is left there for too long, mold will start to grow in the trunk. Once that starts, the cleanup is a huge pain. The person who had my car previously let it sit too long, and the interior of the trunk was all moldy.

The carpets can't be shampooed, and have to be replaced if too moldy ($800 at discounted prices), and after thoroughly cleaning the surfaces of the trunk, it will have to air out for 2-3 weeks, and spend at least 4-6 days in the sun with the trunk open to burn off the remaining mold. A big pain to say the least.

The root cause on my car was that the trunk adjustment bumpers were set too high, so the lid wasn't sealing properly when closed, and the taillights had warped and were leaking. I was able to adjust the bump stops, but I had to replace the taillights and gaskets.

Here is a quik fix. Go to your local autobody store like pepboys etc, and get some 3m Weatherstrip adhesive take your tailights off and apply around them and then rebolt on. Done no more problem... take out uphostry and clean.

I too experience occassional trunk condensation as you described (I am one of three Orange County cars referenced earlier). My right taillight gets moisture, but not on a regular basis.

Twice in the past year I have complete water build up on the underside of the trunk. Both times this occured on hot days and aggressive driving. Like others, I open the trunk, dry the underside and leave the lid open for the afternoon.

Sounds like the cheap fix is weatherstrip. Will give it a try and post results.

Back