• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering an NSX...But used to Muscle Cars

Hey guys,

My name is Chris and I live in New York City. I've been a car enthusiast my whole life and recently owned a 2010 Shelby GT500. Car had a lot of rear-end issues and because Ford was slow in fixing, I won a lemon law suit and got a full refund. That being said, I'm looking for a new car to fill the void. Cars I'm considering right now:

2013 GT500 (650 bhp, wow)
2012 Camaro ZL1
2008 Dodge Viper
2013 Subaru BRZ (think this light weight car could be a blast)
NSX

I've always loved and respected the NSX. It's amazing how the Japanese have never really repeated the formula found in the NSX after all these years. Needless to say, it's reached cult classic status. However, one thing that I'm worried about is bang for the buck. I know the NSX is light and exotic looking, but 280bhp, even in a light performance car, just isn't that impressive anymore. Yet prices remain high. So I know there has to be something special about this car that's keeping the prices stable. What is it?

I know, I know, I need to drive one...But after owning a Viper, Shelby, and Z06 vette, will the NSX really impress me with its performance? Or will it be more the feel of the car?

I'm looking for a white Type R clone...yes, I see that one on eBay for 118K. Insane. Nobody would pay that much for an NSX that's not a true Type R. 80K,maybe.

Also, what year NSX is the best to buy? Thanks guys...

people who are drawn to the nsx do so because of the feel/engineering/driver centric design/looks/reliability/balance.If you need 500rwhp then there are many FI options available.Best thing for you to do is peruse the site read the wiki..ect.

But after owning a Viper, Shelby, and Z06 vette, will the NSX really impress me with its performance?

No.

It's very clear from your list of cars owned what floats your boat.

You will feel some aspects are very nice but I think it will leave you disappointed.
The Viper, Z06, Camaro are fast and the NSX is just quick.
If you had come from other sports cars like a Miata , RX7, Porsche and the like then you would be impressed for what the car delivers.
I think you'll enjoy driving it but not owning it. It won't have the power or sensation you are used to experiencing when you punch the pedal.
JMHO

Last edited:
people who are drawn to the nsx do so because of the feel/engineering/driver centric design/looks/reliability/balance.If you need 500rwhp then there are many FI options available.Best thing for you to do is peruse the site read the wiki..ect.

Agreed.

You are clearly use to a big hp car and may like that, but the overall look/feel/feeling you'll get from owning and driving an NSX is entirely different. It's much much more refined than any of the car's you have mentioned owning. I once considered selling my NSX and purchasing a procharged 2003 Z06 that made 800hp+ from my father. I drove the vette quite a few times, the car was amazing and the fastest car I have driven on the street, but am glad I did not sell the NSX and if I had to do it all over again I would keep the NSX as I did.

Apples to Oranges. NSX is a much more "exotic" car from looks to handling to feeling. With some FI you will get a similiar feel power wise in a much lighter, mid engine exotic sports car.

My .02c

Thanks guys. I am not as tied to horsepower as it sounds. Truth be told, the cars I have loved the most were more "quick" than powerful. I've had a miata, s2000 and sti. All more fun day in and day out than the muscle. How is the nsx steering feel? In the s2000 it was terribly numb.

Thanks guys. I am not as tied to horsepower as it sounds. Truth be told, the cars I have loved the most were more "quick" than powerful. I've had a miata, s2000 and sti. All more fun day in and day out than the muscle. How is the nsx steering feel? In the s2000 it was terribly numb.

Steering is very sensitive, the car is very nimble and on it's feet.

I'd suggest 2002-2005 for the best package as far as looks and performance. If a bit over your price range, go with 97-01 for 6 speed, 3.2L and of course Targa which started in 95'.

I'd suggest 2002-2005 for the best package as far as looks and performance. If a bit over your price range, go with 97-01 for 6 speed, 3.2L ...........

IS there a difference in performance , beside the look, between 2002-2005 and 1997-2001? Please tell me.

As suggested by docjohn, spend some time with the Wiki and reading owner's posts. There is a lot to appreciate about the NSX.

To your question about steering... addictive, light, agile, firm, fun

...perhaps a strange choice of words but I have never driven a car that responds so effectively as the NSX, it is truly a fun car to drive and own.

If you want 500+hp, that can be tuned in as well if you have the cash for built engines with forced injection, there are some fine options.

The price of entry into a 91-94 is relatively cheap if you want to try one for awhile and see what you think, it will hold its value if you treat it well. If you want one in the NA2 97-05 range be prepared to jump when you find what you want as there was much less production in later years, thus more rare, thus prices are what they are (per the Wiki)

You could always wait a few years and get an NSX 2.0 :biggrin:

You have serious car A.D.D. lol. It sounds like you have a good chunk of change to spend, and if you can afford it get both. Every now and again you'll get the itch to go real fast and the NSX just isn't going to cut it. A 2008 Viper still hovers around 70K in price. so....

33K for an earlier NSX
33K for a Gen II Viper (or other muscle car + a power adder)

Both are fully depreciated, and probably on the verge of rebounding, so it's not like you are entirely throwing your money away as you would on a newer car.

If you are into steering feel, then the early non power steering NSXs are the ticket. The manual steering is the most "feel" you will ever experience. The downside is that at parking lot speed it is very heavy. But it is full of feel of the road. The other thing that perhaps you will be struck by is the mid engine placement makes the NSX steer in a way that is almost telepathic. That is you think about where you want to go and you are there. The heavy front engine cars just do not change direction in the same way as a lightweight mid engine NSX.

You have serious car A.D.D. lol. It sounds like you have a good chunk of change to spend, and if you can afford it get both. Every now and again you'll get the itch to go real fast and the NSX just isn't going to cut it. A 2008 Viper still hovers around 70K in price. so....

33K for an earlier NSX

Both are fully depreciated, and probably on the verge of rebounding, so it's not like you are entirely throwing your money away as you would on a newer car.

Good post.

I have a 97 NSX and a 00 Viper GTS. The NSX is a scalpel; the Viper an axe. Both cut, but differently. Love the Viper, have driven it on many trips, have owned it almost 6 years.

Have had a bunch of muscle cars. To me, there are different 'itches' to scratch, and the NSX doesn't do the tire-burning raw screaming power itch well.

Yet it delivers the precise, tight, comfortable and without drama performance that makes you say, "did I really just downshift to 3rd, hold 50 mph in a 270 degree radius on-ramp and am already doing 90 again?" In the Viper, you'd lose several organs and at least two tires.

There's a confidence in driving the NSX for which we can thank several years of pre-production engineering. Go drive one. Sit in a seat built for real humans. Look at the dash. Look over the nonexistent front end. Shift with your wrist instead of your entire upper body. Watch 8 grand come up sooner than you thought. Tap the brakes and see what level, balanced braking competency is all about.

If the drive doesn't do it for you, cross it off the list. If it does, welcome! We'll understand either way.

You have some nice choices in cars... if I had deeper pockets and more garage space or a lift the 2013 GT500 Mustang or Camaro ZL1 would be fun additons to the stable.

I have a 21 year old NSX and I'm happy with it. There are times I miss the torque of a high hp car. But I enjoy the overall performance, the exotic look and that you don't see them very often (at least not where I live).

I know two other NSX owners in the area (haven't seen them on the road, unless we have met up) and I heard of another last summer and saw a 2002+ twice last summer.

A supercharged NSX sounds like an option if you decided you wanted more power. But the NSX was designed more as a Formula 1 type car over drag strip. The handling and sound of the engine, especially in VTEC is incredibly fun for me.

Keep us posted on what you end up with...

33K for an earlier NSX

Both are fully depreciated, and probably on the verge of rebounding, so it's not like you re entirely throwing your money away as you would on a newer car.

It would make more sense for him to just get a 97+ and slap a turbo or sc on it. Plus it would be cheaper than 66k & he wouldnt have to deal with that horrible Viper interior.

You will probably not be satisfied with an NSX of any year or hp. They are not the same as a V8/V10 of any kind. The torque just isn't there, and that's what you will miss. I was in a new BMW 335d the other day and I could not believe the neck snapping torque and speed of the car. With a $200 boost/fuel controller the car had close to 600ft/lbs of torque and almost 500hp and it drove nice and tight. It would blow away any NA NSX and probably give a boosted NSX a good run for the money.

Try to get a ride or test drive in an NSX and see if you can live with the low hp/tq. I'd say if you did get an NA NSX that you'd probably be bored of it in 6mo's. I rarely drive my NSX, but when I do I love it because it's easy to drive and in 2nd gear I can break every posted speed limit.

Where in NYC are you located? I grew up in Howard Beach and am around often. Since another member here helped me out when I was considering my purchase, I almost feel compelled to help you out if youre serious we can meet up and go over the car in person.

You will probably not be satisfied with an NSX of any year or hp. They are not the same as a V8/V10 of any kind. The torque just isn't there, and that's what you will miss. I was in a new BMW 335d the other day and I could not believe the neck snapping torque and speed of the car. With a $200 boost/fuel controller the car had close to 600ft/lbs of torque and almost 500hp and it drove nice and tight. It would blow away any NA NSX and probably give a boosted NSX a good run for the money.

Try to get a ride or test drive in an NSX and see if you can live with the low hp/tq. I'd say if you did get an NA NSX that you'd probably be bored of it in 6mo's. I rarely drive my NSX, but when I do I love it because it's easy to drive and in 2nd gear I can break every posted speed limit.
$200 will not get you to 500 hp. Stock it comes 265hp & 425ft/lbs of torque, $200 might get you 60+ hp and 100 ft/lbs of torque.
http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_JBD_diesel_performance_chip.html

I wish I could spend $260 on the Nsx & get that much added power :(

Last edited:
Pretty sure you would not be happy with a stock NSX, but if you could find a 97 NSX and put on a Lovefab kit, I think you would really enjoy the car.

wow! great line of cars! :biggrin:
i have to agree with the others saying you have to try it, but if it's brutal, explosive, tire-shredding power you want, then stay with the musclecars!
but imo if you are looking to take your driving experiences further then burning rubber, you really need to concider the NSX!
i have driven all sorts of serious both in muscle and exotic sections of it all. i love them all in one way or another. if it's the power, sound, looks or whatever. but after having the NSX, it really is the best there is for me.
it is simply the best overall-machine when it comes to performance, handling, looks, build-quality, and reability. i'm on my 3'rd NSX now. all 3.0 coupe's with manual steering, and the feel in the NSX is simply awesome!!
i have NEVER driven anything that can compare to the feeling i get in these cars! Please PLEASE try to find someone who can give you a tour and testdrive, i really believe you'll be satisfied! and if the power seems to be the issue in the end, it's allways possible to add a little more, like a SC. :biggrin: Good luck!

Hey guys,

My name is Chris and I live in New York City. I've been a car enthusiast my whole life and recently owned a 2010 Shelby GT500. Car had a lot of rear-end issues and because Ford was slow in fixing, I won a lemon law suit and got a full refund. That being said, I'm looking for a new car to fill the void. Cars I'm considering right now:

2013 GT500 (650 bhp, wow)
2012 Camaro ZL1
2008 Dodge Viper
2013 Subaru BRZ (think this light weight car could be a blast)
NSX

I've always loved and respected the NSX. It's amazing how the Japanese have never really repeated the formula found in the NSX after all these years. Needless to say, it's reached cult classic status. However, one thing that I'm worried about is bang for the buck. I know the NSX is light and exotic looking, but 280bhp, even in a light performance car, just isn't that impressive anymore. Yet prices remain high. So I know there has to be something special about this car that's keeping the prices stable. What is it?

I know, I know, I need to drive one...But after owning a Viper, Shelby, and Z06 vette, will the NSX really impress me with its performance? Or will it be more the feel of the car?

I'm looking for a white Type R clone...yes, I see that one on eBay for 118K. Insane. Nobody would pay that much for an NSX that's not a true Type R. 80K,maybe.

Also, what year NSX is the best to buy? Thanks guys...

I have a Muscle car too (Blown GTO).... and an NSX that will hurt many muscle cars (engine getting forged internals to handle the extra power that the Kenne Bell 2.1 is making and will be making).

Love both since both are different. even how they deliver the power down to the location of the engine.

chain saw verses scalpel. Both will cut.

NSX is going to feel anemic in NA form. But you have FI options these days that will rock ur socks off.

that is the ONLY thing really missing from the NSX. The rest like exotic looks, handling, etc. are already there.

Where in NYC are you located? I grew up in Howard Beach and am around often. Since another member here helped me out when I was considering my purchase, I almost feel compelled to help you out if youre serious we can meet up and go over the car in person.

I live smack dab in the middle of Manhattan (36st and LExington). When the weather gets nicer, I would love a ride.

Back