• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant Leak Suggestions

Went for the first drive of the year today and when I got back and opened the hood to plug the battery tender in I noticed coolant smell. Wasn't actively leaking but did leak on the drive and noticed that it was coming from the large hose on the left (if you're facing the car) where the hose connects to the aluminum hose that runs under the car. My hoses were replaced 2 years ago. Not sure if I should add another clamp or replace the hose or if sealant is used when installing them that may have unsealed itself. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Make sure the clamp is on the hose in an area where the pipe is inside the hose. (I've seen that mistake before!). Also, when removing the old hose someone could have nicked/scratched the pipe.
Try either moving the clamp or a second clamp. If that doesn't work, remove the hose, clean the pipe surface with kitchen type plastic "steel wool" (don't use actual steel wool as fragments left behind can cause corrosion), coat the inside of the hose with silicon grease and re-attach the hose. Silicon grease keeps the rubber soft and helps fills in tiny scratches.
Then, be sure to follow the shop manual procedure for bleeding the system. Otherwise, air bubbles in the unique NSX cooling system configuration can cause overheating.
That's my WAG for today!

Last edited:
Back