• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Cooling issue on LoveFab NSX

I took my LoveFab NSX to the Le Mans/France circuit yesterday.
Last time on this track, I had managed 1'57" laps but had been limited in my efforts due to raising water temperature problems:mad:
Not to worry, next time I'll use a racing radiator I thought to myself:cool:
I got the best one (?) available i.e. a Driving Ambition from SoS.
Back to the track and up to 80% of the load, the temperature doesn't move.
A couple of turns later, I start running with the different Porsches and...up goes the gauge!!!
This time, I wasn't even using my slicks but the Toyo R 888s that I came with.
Now what's the issue?
1) the water pump was changed with the cam belt less than 10000 kms ago.
2) the engine has never been opened and the car has only 85000 kms.
3) the radiator has been installed by a pro who was aware of my previous problems
4) the car has been converted to NSX-R bodywork
5) the cool air path to the radiator is partially blocked by the IC radiator
6) I rode back home for 450 kms without any issue
7) there is no water leak
I'll post a video later on where you can see the gauge climbing slowly but surely.
Very disappointing after having invested heavily to do the things right!

Do you have an oil cooler?

I would think that the DA radiator would be sufficient even w/o an oil cooler but there are two ways to cool the engine - oil and water. You might want to invest in a oil temp gauge to see what is going on.

Hmmmm....I have the sesame rad with a LF turbo system. NEVER saw a cooling issue. Of course, there are many other variables here. Like Jim said, time to start monitoring everything.

Hmmmm....I have the sesame rad with a LF turbo system. NEVER saw a cooling issue. Of course, there are many other variables here. Like Jim said, time to start monitoring everything.
I'd be interested in seeing the size of your IC cooler.
Mine is huge and must be blocking one third of the air going to the main radiator...
Do you race the car on a track?
Until you do that everything is fine!

Last edited:
For all who using old plastic AEM cooling expansion tank- better to change it to aluminum, since a crack in it causes my engine burn out. The cooling fluid went out abt 1/2 gallon when I was tracking my NSX. It was one year ago. But discovered the reason just recently.

I'd be interested in seeing the size of your IC cooler.
Mine is huge and must be blocking one third of the air going to the main radiator...
Do you race the car on a track?
Until you do that everything is fine!

fustrating at best...give Shad a call ,he can give you the next steps.

Did you remove the plastic radiator shroud? - its an important piece for the cooling system

the combo of

1) a heat exchanger restriction

2) add a dual pass (harder for the water to travel one full rotation)

3) additional heat with a turbo add

seems likely the combo could raise temps on load like it is

For all who using old plastic AEM cooling expansion tank- better to change it to aluminum, since a crack in it causes my engine burn out. The cooling fluid went out abt 1/2 gallon when I was tracking my NSX. It was one year ago. But discovered the reason just recently.

Yea, that is a great idea.....until you watch your friend's SOS aluminum coolant tank crack at the track and he loses his engine. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what product to trust anymore.

Yea, that is a great idea.....until you watch your friend's SOS aluminum coolant tank crack at the track and he loses his engine. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what product to trust anymore.

a round aluminum tank eliminates all problems mentioned

I also have DA radiator with a LF system, exchanger in the front is pretty big, but no heat issues. No track but very aggressive driving in 100+ temps without alot of high speeds, just high RPM, low speeds, and AC on. Also with a 3.5 L motor. NSX-R hood but with the radiator deflector to direct heat out of the vent. I could see the heat coming out when I stopped.

I guess you should make sure that all of the air has been vented appropriately. Add water wetter as this could help. Make sure that there is not a small head gasket problem.

Ross, I have one of your custom tanks, red with STMPO lettering but it isn't round.:confused: On the other hand, the panels seem to be so thick tht there is absolutely no flex and I suppose that if it built like a tank,:biggrin: shape doesn't really matter.

I forgot to add that the guy who installed my radiator installed a grille in front of it to protect it from stones.
As far as I remember my previous system had no grille?
It seemed pretty unharmfull to me but maybe not?
Of course, I didn't think of pulling it off at the track:redface:
Any input?

Pictures of the grill?

If you have the overheating problem again, try removing it and see if it fixes it. Depending on the placement and the mesh density, it could severely reduce the amount of airflow.

What radiator fan/shroud setup do you have?

I forgot to add that the guy who installed my radiator installed a grille in front of it to protect it from stones.
As far as I remember my previous system had no grille?
It seemed pretty unharmfull to me but maybe not?
Of course, I didn't think of pulling it off at the track:redface:
Any input?

there is mixed results with the dali shield and tracking...if yours is a local one off,then it could be the factor...pics would help.

Ross, I have one of your custom tanks, red with STMPO lettering but it isn't round.:confused: On the other hand, the panels seem to be so thick tht there is absolutely no flex and I suppose that if it built like a tank,:biggrin: shape doesn't really matter.

only the top and bottom of your tank are thick... its just built well...

I was advising on an expansion tank in replacement of the plastic aem tank though :)

You have a rare item there.... that coolant tank :)

Pictures of the grill?

If you have the overheating problem again, try removing it and see if it fixes it. Depending on the placement and the mesh density, it could severely reduce the amount of airflow.

What radiator fan/shroud setup do you have?
Hi Billy,
Here are some pictures.
I regret not pulling the grille off while at the track as it's almost impossible to reproduce the load conditions on an open road if you want to keep your license:wink:
You can also see how big the IC radiator is...
I hadn't noticed that the radiator shroud doesn't cover the totallity of the Driving Ambition radiator!
6b6a2398.jpg

abc0568f.jpg

b2fbadb1.jpg

b858114b.jpg

I'd pull off that grill, and if possible, create something to complete the fan shroud.

air is a funny fluid...what looks like it has plenty of space in the lattice may in fact cause such turbulance at the surface to cause a high pressure area ahead of the radiator thus decreasing cooling.

air is a funny fluid...what looks like it has plenty of space in the lattice may in fact cause such turbulance at the surface to cause a high pressure area ahead of the radiator thus decreasing cooling.
I agree 100%, air can behave in strange ways!
In any case after a 1 hour effort and a few blood stains, I managed to get the grill out without dismantling the whole front end:cool:
Here are pictures of the grill, the front end without the grill and the damage that occurs when you ride with no grill.
I suppose you can't always win:smile:
e6b4a6e8.jpg

7998bc38.jpg

2ba7b9e2.jpg

We've had similar problems due to the pressure drop behind the heat exchanger. We are working a fan kit to address this.

-- Chris
Chris, put me on the waiting list for this device!
Rgds
John

That is definitely true but Juice did not have issues with the same setup on the track despite a very warm day and long sessions (30 minutes)

Looking at the top of your radiator, I also have the Downforce shroud which completely seals the top of the radiator to the front bumper. Only issue is that you have to remove the shroud to fill the washer tank.

Back