• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corvette C7 leaks

That so called exclusivity is kind of tricky. Say a new vette buyer wants this vette and it costs $60k. A typical used NSX is in the $30k range because that is the sweet spot where demand for a sports car rests. It may not be true for everyone but I bet that's typically the max most people get to spend on a fun car that is a luxury to have. So even though there are fewer NSXs produced out there than will be new vettes, the subgroup of people able to buy a new vette is actually smaller and may earn more than the typical NSX buyer. One could argue it is more exclusive because it takes more buying power to get it. All those buyers of the new vette could have just about any choice of
NSX but NOT the other way around. Jus' sayin- exclusive doesn't mean low production numbers in this case. Low production numbers make a car seem more exclusive but a used NSX is not too terribly expensive if you want one. Yes there are vettes everywhere but there is more demand for them than NSXs. Being a low demand item (when new) didn't mean the NSX was exclusive, it was just a matter of taste and most buyers bought something else. Basically Turbo you are right long term as its numbers will drive its price down and the NSXs will stay higher, but short term it's a different story as this car will be a hot ticket when it's released.

Last edited:
The exclusivity argument is a tough one. I see merit on both sides. As a daily driver, I don't care that much if my car is an Accord, BMW or Merc, all of which I used as a DD at one time or another. There are a million of them on the road, they each get from point A to point B in slightly different ways, but each really just boils down to an appliance. Even when you get into special editions like M5s and AMG variants, they are still not "sportscars" (excluding the sportscar models specifically).

But when you start looking at an extra car or big boy toys, I tend, and I think a lot of others do too, to look at that car a little differently. Having something that moves you in a way no other car can is important. Part of that is looks, the way the interior works with you and of course the way it drives.

Part of that is also exclusivity. Its ok if some others have the same toy you do, but if everyone has it? It kind of loses the allure pretty fast. It may be a top performing vehicle, it may have the best driving dynamics in the world, but if its common, those traits become common too.

There is a reason why Ferraris are so coveted. Its mostly because they are ultra rare, or in other words, exclusive. They have made a lot of shitty cars. Even many of their good cars suck because of maintenance. But I still want a 308 GTB/GTS.

I guess my rambling just really boils down to this: There is a limit at which a buyer puts upon themselves, consciously or un, in which they will put up with a combination of elements that makes them want or not want a car. Corvettes are dime a dozen, their outward design hasn't looked good in decades to me, their interior is worse. But that has changed over the years, steadily improving. It has now come to the point that I would seriously consider one. For me, that combination of elements has now achieved a quality that overpowers the common aspect of the car. I also know that I want to experience as many top end vehicles as possible in ownership. This is the first Corvette I am willing to say that yeah, I want to know what the whole ownership experience is about, knowing full well that sometime in the future I may move on to something else. But if this car is what we all think it is, I will be able to eventually say I drove one of the top performing vehicles of it's time. And that is no small thing.

486256_10151363887396760_501872229_n.jpg

Last edited:
Plastic body, front engine, rear drive, assembly line made, yada-yada-yada. Nice to look at, will depreciate badly and probably have several recalls. Negative mindset, yes, but truthful. Buyer beware. My $.02.

I see the interior improved, but they still dropped the ball on it... That steering wheel is horrendous. What were they thinking?

Snobbery aside, I think the mass production aspect of the car is one of the best parts about the corvette. It means that you can almost *always* find a great used vette that is great value for the money. The depreciation is part of the "cheap thrills" aspect of the car, because new these cars are not exactly cheap. The c6 had a MSRP just under $60k and a z06 is just under $100k. You have to be a real enthusiast to pay those prices though, because all you need to do is just wait a few years and watch the prices come tumbling down.

Production numbers don't tell the full story on collection values either. Some of the late 60s vettes are pulling $150k+ in value now - that's ferrari territory. Of course, they are pristine examples, but that's where the rarity comes in. With a mass production car like the vette, they get thumped and abused, driven and used. Only a handful survive the ages to be pristine collector cars, in contrast to ferraris who live a life of luxury and many of them make it to collector status.

I am sure the c7 will be a nice car. I have beef with the name, but I am excited to see them come out with a new car because that means prices on c6s will start dropping ;)

Yes, caustic put it well. I don't care about being exclusive all the time. I mean I daily drive an element. The ugly one with the plastic gray fenders. I like the car. I eve like disappearing into the crowd and not worrying about it. But when your sports car is your "special car", part of the allure, not all but part, certainly is the fact that not everyone is driving the same thing. It makes it more unique and special.

- - - Updated - - -

I see the interior improved, but they still dropped the ball on it... That steering wheel is horrendous. What were they thinking?

Totally agree... The most hideous part of the car

Never thought I'd see the day...

Growing up I lusted after Japanese sports cars Supras, RX7 etc.

America had nothing for me. Nothin but crap car after crap car.

Now many years later I have more respect for GM then Honda ...

my Z06 changed the way I thought about Corvettes.

I think they nailed the C7. Best part about the rear is that it is infuriating the old guys on the Corvette forum

thats how I now the Vette has arrived.

MC

1996 NSX-T
2008 Corvette Z06
2010 Cadillac Escalade

This

Not sure about the looks yet, have to wait to see it in the "flesh" so to speak. But you can be sure it will be a serious performance car. I was able to drive a slightly modified Z06 a few months ago, it had about 650 HP and that car was one of the best handling, hardest running cars I have had the pleasure of driving. It was a serious monster and was street legal and got about 27 MPG! Say what you will but the C-6 Corvette is a very nice car for the money. I hope the C-7 follows closely in its footsteps. And no I am not looking to buy one. My '71 914-6 restoration is moving along nicely and my '10 997 C4S coupe is fun too.

The more I look at it, and the shops with different wheels and such, the more I really dig it. Where the C6 looked bulbous and cartoon-y (to me) the C7 is razor sharp.

I've never disliked Corvettes- I even liked the C4 when it was out, and this one is no different. I am curious if they will do Z06 & ZR1 variants, and what those will look like.

After looking at the NSX Concept interior reveal, it really goes to show, Chevy still doesn't know how to make an interior.

But the Corvette will be here this year, the NSX is still two years away. /cry

2014-corvette-c7-stingray-looks-great-in-blue_1.jpg

Last edited:
The C7 still has the cheap GM interior. I know it's much better than the C6's plastic interior, but when you compare it next to the NSX...suddenly the C7's interior looks outdated.

Acura-NSX-Concept-Interior-03.JPG

33_2014_chevrolet_corvette_reveal.jpg

Both interiors look nice, but there are two little things that make the C7 a little more appealing: The pedal on the left and the shift knob in the middle. I know the newest and best thing on the market is computer controlled clutch systems, like the Ferrari, but someting inside me wants my sportscar to have a manual tranny. Even if it's .2 seconds slower to 60mph.

The C7 still has the cheap GM interior. I know it's much better than the C6's plastic interior, but when you compare it next to the NSX...suddenly the C7's interior looks outdated.

This is true.

However-

When you compare the 60k pricetag of the Base C7 to the 130,000 pricetag of the NSX...

How would the new NSX interior make the C7 look out dated?

That sounds like saying Kiwis makes oranges out dated when it was first introduced to the states.

It's a different design approaches.

If anything the new NSX interior looks dated and a rip-off from the LFA.

Shame on Honda for "originality".

2012-Lexus-LFA-Interior-3-1920x1440.jpg

Last edited:
Both interiors look nice, but there are two little things that make the C7 a little more appealing: The pedal on the left and the shift knob in the middle. I know the newest and best thing on the market is computer controlled clutch systems, like the Ferrari, but someting inside me wants my sportscar to have a manual tranny. Even if it's .2 seconds slower to 60mph.

/This

I felt the same way until I drove a F458 on the track. The paddle shifters were remarkable - and fun!

kudos to batmans.... I was thinking the same thing....honda stole the LFA interior.

Also the NSX and LFA probably isn't as fast/fun/etc as the vette since it doesn't have an "Oh Shit Handle" for the passenger on the center console next to that shifter

- - - Updated - - -

They did, but it still looks great. I doubt it's the final version. We'll see next year.

I'm pretty confident it's the final version since it continues much lines of the existing Acuras yet isn't that edgy....

kudos to batmans.... I was thinking the same thing....honda stole the LFA interior.

So? At least they didn't steal the Chevy Malibu interior. I mean if you're gonna steal.... Go for the gold baby. And they have outdone the LFA even IMO. Who knows maybe the nsx will be a good LFA. lol

How many of you have sat in a LFA and Aventador?

I have and have a few words:

1. claustrophobic
2. cramped
3. crowded

And I bet this NSX interior is no different. it won't have that airy feeling that you get in the '91-'05 NSX. And that is pretty impressive considering that sports/exotic/supercars are not usually known for that.

The pedal on the left and the shift knob in the middle. I know the newest and best thing on the market is computer controlled clutch systems, like the Ferrari, but someting inside me wants my sportscar to have a manual tranny. Even if it's .2 seconds slower to 60mph.

Amen!

Bears repeating.

How many of you have sat in a LFA and Aventador?

I have and have a few words:

1. claustrophobic
2. cramped
3. crowded

And I bet this NSX interior is no different. it won't have that airy feeling that you get in the '91-'05 NSX. And that is pretty impressive considering that sports/exotic/supercars are not usually known for that.

This is exactly what I thought when looking at the new NSX interior. I do think it looks great, but I don't like that high rise that divides the driver and passenger. It will make the interior feel claustrophobic, where the original NSX felt open and roomy while still feeling like a serious driver's cockpit. Very difficult to pull off.

This is true.

However-

When you compare the 60k pricetag of the Base C7 to the 130,000 pricetag of the NSX...

As far as the Vette vs NSX 2.0, $60k v $130k interior comparison, I think it is a copout. How is it possible that an Audi TT can have a better looking interior than the new Vette? Hell, how can a lowly Audi A4 have a better interior than the Vette? The Vette's interior is an improvement, but can still be leaps and bounds better. I'm hoping it's just the pics, and has to be seen in the flesh.

Both interiors look nice, but there are two little things that make the C7 a little more appealing: The pedal on the left and the shift knob in the middle.

Big win there for the Vette. No doubt.

Last edited:
Back