• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coupe or Targa for tall people

I'm still looking to purchase my first NSX. However, I'm 6'4" and have only sat in/driven a coupe. In reading some of these strings I've learned that the targa has a little less headroom with the top on. Stands to reason that headroom shouldn't be a problem with the top off (I'd only be driving it in nice weather anyhow!!). BUT....in looking at some pictures, it appears that with the seat all the way back, the headrest is still behind the targa opening, meaning my head would still be touching the ceiling.

Any advice from anyone with this problem? (There are no dealerships nearby to sit in a targa).

Thank you

I am tall as well but not quite 6'4". I had no problems in my coupe but have had problems with most cars in the past. I am currently looking to buy a S class Benz because of this annoyance. I took a test drive in one a few weeks ago and it was like heaven when my knees DID NOT touch the dash board.

rover1 said:
Any advice from anyone with this problem? (There are no dealerships nearby to sit in a targa).
Post in the Northwest regional forum on NSXprime, looking for someone with an NSX-T in the Seattle area. I'm sure someone will be happy to get together with you to let you sit in his car.

Also, consider the Dali seat cushion modification that will give you an extra two inches of headroom.

Last edited:
I'm 6'4" and fit fine, even w/ the roof on. Although I haven't had the pleasure of trying to fit w/ a helmet yet.

They are not the same, but neither is shorter or taller.

The targa panel and reinforcement is shaped differently, so it all depends on how far back the seat AND the seatback are positioned. It also depends heavily on how you are shaped regarding inseam versus torso length. Plus, once you have been in the seat more than 15 minutes, you get a little cushion sag and subsequent increase in headroom:D

I'm 6'00" and with a helmet on my head is jammed against the roof in either coupe or targa. Some folks recline the seat as far as possible to alleviate the problem.

I'm 6'6" with a T and I fit fine with the roof on. I must say there is very little space left MAYBE eighth of an inch. Like others have posted recline the seat back or the seat cushion mod. Sit in one and you'll know for sure whether you can live with it or not. There are PRIME members in the Seattle area.

Back