• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crystal Cove and aftermath. . . =(

***UPDATE - May 5,2006
Insurance decided to call the car a TOTAL LOSS. Turns out that the car was in a previous accident by one of the previous owners (I'm owner #4). Looks like the shop didn't know how to weld aluminum properly and all the welds the did, broke. Basically the main frame rails were rewelded and split. In order to replace them, the whole dash has to come out and the cost would be about $30,000 to repair (KBB value is only $25k). The insurance felt that it was a significant liability if I were to get into another accident with this damage and therefore decided to call it a total loss.
acc1.jpg
acc2.jpg

acc3.jpg
acc4.jpg

acc5.jpg
acc6.jpg

acc7.jpg

The aftermath. . . :frown:
img_2237.jpg
img_2238.jpg

img_2239.jpg

Was going down PCH, driving slow because there had been numerous cops up and down the street. Came up to Newport Drive and decided thought that route might be a little more fun. So I switched lanes, took the corner at a good speed (probably around 40) and hit a patch of runoff water from the sprinklers (it was still about 8:00am) and the back began to come around. I guess I was so confused as to what was happening the thought of trying to correct never crossed my mind, I just slammed on the brakes. Anyhow I decided to do some landscaping and at the same time rework my bumper. . . luckily no one was hurt and no one else was involved.

End result was 4 bent rims, cracked bumper, messed up alignment, a ticket for "unsafe turn", and shattered ego, and whatever the Acura dealership finds wrong underneath. Not one of my best days.

Anyway, take care and drive safe.

Last edited:
scorp965 said:
What time is this event again *yawn*

Are your wheels multipiece, and easily fixed, or are you in for a large repair bill? What kind of suspension damage did you sustain, if you are aware of any yet?

Don't know about the suspension yet. . its drivable. Wheels are 2piece welded. More info here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67768

Ouch !!! Sorry to see that happen to your clean ride.... they gave you a ticket for hitting a puddle of water !?!?!? that is crazy, it doesn't even sound like you were speeding ! :confused: I hope everything works out as far as repairs goes..... good luck :smile:

Hopefully your insurance company will take care the bills.

Good luck

count your blessings...

You're very lucky... for one, you didn't get hurt as well as anyone else. Two, another foot or two to the left, plausible to assume that you'd have more front-end damage from the concrete boundary wall. Also, if your side scraped along that wall instead, there would be 5-figures worth of cosmetic damage!

Having gone through a similar experience, I think you'll have to replace your wheels and front bumper cover for starters. Your hood, fenders seem to be a-ok in terms of integrity, position, and fitment. If a suspension component (lower/upper arm, knuckle, pivot, etc'...) was damaged/broken, you'd be aware of it by now. However, something might be slightly bent, but I'm gonna say more than likely not. The NSX is a badass, it's remarkable how solid the components of this car are, as well as the overall structure.

If the wheels could be fixed... it's possible this incident might end up being $1500 when it very easily could've been $15,000!?! :eek:

So... you like the '02-'05 front?!? :biggrin: (insurance will give you some 'love', minus the pesky deductable)

A ticket?????:confused: If anything, the city should cut you a check for doing some hedge work for them!!:biggrin::tongue: :biggrin:

Adrian,

Sorry to hear what happened to your NSX. I'm just glad that nobody got hurt including yourself. Your car is the one the nicest red nsx I've seen specially with the unique rear valence.

The exact same thing happened to me last nov 2005 - I was really surprised that my rear wheel suddenly loose its traction after doing an agressive lane change at a slightly curving road. The road was dry and my tires are brand new. I was runnin 19/18's - and don't know why it happened? I read that one reason would be the suspension wasnt able to handle the much larger/heavier wheels/tires. I have eibach pro springs on stock shocks.

I HAVE READ SIMILAR ACCIDENTS ON NSX'S WITH LARGER AFTERMARKET WHEEL SET UP. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL DRIVING YOUR NSX AGGRESSIVELY IF YOUR SUSPENSION/SPRINGS/SHOCKS ARE NOT PROPERLY TUNED FOR AFTERMARKET WHEELS/TIRES. I CAN NAME ATLEAT 5 OTHER PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT EXPERIENCED A SIMILAR ACCIDENT.

Please read some related topics below:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62882

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60746

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62773

Please let me know if you need some parts for your front bumper - I may have some parts available.

Regards
Henry

Last edited:
A ticket??? If this would happen to me I would be facing some jail-time then. I'd call that policeman some very ugly names. That policeman would now what I think of him. First this isn't your fault, second even if he thinks it was your fault, aren't you punished enough by what happened?? Crazy country that USA!!!

40 seems awfully slow on a stretch like the pic you showed. I don't know what that speed limit sign says but it doesn't look like 40 mph. Spinning out at 40 at 8 AM seems very unusual. Should there be water tracks from cars going through the same sprinklers as you did? Unless it's extremely hot there the road way looks pretty dry.

Danny, RED SR 71
REPEAL V.C. 22351
:smile: :biggrin: :wink: :eek:

Last edited:
Hapa88 said:
And the aftermath. . . :frown:
img_2237.jpg
img_2238.jpg

img_2239.jpg

Was going down PCH, driving slow because there had been numerous cops up and down the street. Came up to Newport Drive and decided thought that route might be a little more fun. So I switched lanes, took the corner at a good speed (probably around 40) and hit a patch of runoff water from the sprinklers (it was still about 8:00am) and the back began to come around. I guess I was so confused as to what was happening the thought of trying to correct never crossed my mind, I just slammed on the brakes. Anyhow I decided to do some landscaping and at the same time rework my bumper. . . luckily no one was hurt and no one else was involved.

End result was 4 bent rims, cracked bumper, messed up alignment, a ticket for "unsafe turn", and shattered ego, and whatever the Acura dealership finds wrong underneath. Not one of my best days.

Anyway, take care and drive safe.

Where exactly is that turn that sent you into the sidewalk and the wall (@ 40mph :confused: ) Is it where the 4runner is? The speed limit sign seems to say 60. mph. A little runoff water???

good to see you're owning up to your mistake. i'm tired of people who try to point the finger and find an excuse to sue. i remember one guy who wrapped his nsx around a pole and decided to take advantage of his job as an accident scene investigator and sue the city. I can't seem to find the thread.
glad you're safe.

So sorry to hear! Hope the damage wasn't too extensive and only cosmetic.

What was the reason or justification for the ticket? Cause you were driving a sports car and anytime a sports car spun out is because of unsafe driving? I hope the cop had better reason...,

Speed limit sign does say 60.

If you look at the 2nd picture, you can kind of make out the water on the road. This was about 20 minutes after the accident so alot had evaporated, but most of it was where the shaded areas are. There wasn't alot, just a thin layer of water, enough to make it slippery.

I came around the same corner that SUV is coming around, fishtailed the back which pointed me right toward the curb and the wall. And that was it.

I talked to the tow truck guy and he said that's common place for people to loose it. He pulled out a M3 the week or two before and a couple of Ferraris before that at the same turn. Good to know I'm not the only dumbass. :redface:

Damm!!! .......Sorry to hear about your and I can understand you not knowing what to do at that point because when things start to happen they happen pretty fast. Glad your ok and the car did not sustain any major damage.

I have never met Hapa 88.

I feel very sorry for your misfortune, but am glad that you are ok. You have a lot of character for posting pictures and telling us what went wrong and your story may help prevent one of us from a similar incident. A lessor person could have quietly fixed his car and not said a word.

I also feel sorry for the couple of people above who appear to be questioning your recap of what happened. Why would you kick someone when they are down and I wish people were not so quick to post opinions when they know nothing.

The reality is your story is 100% true. How do i know? A dear friend of mine yesterday made the same drive in Matt Piercey's NSX (the silverston 02 in your picture above). He commented to me about the wet condition of that turn. BTW he knew to slow down because he had previously slid in that same corner in his s2000. AND had seen a bmw m3 crash in exactly the same place about a year ago -- again wet off camber section of road.

This is a tricky piece of road that seems to catch a lot of people off guard. So you are in no way a dumbass.... you just did not know.

It does seem a little harsh that you received a ticket as surly the police also now that this is a section of road where accidents are ocurring.

please let the socal community know if you need any help

Thanks

sorry to hear about that!!! I feel your pain...my car is at the dealership right now being fixed after I smacked a curb in the rain awhile back:frown:
$7300 in suspension damage:eek:(not including rim fix) Good thing Geico was great about it and I already have a check to pay for it once it is done(waiting for part:mad: ) Luckily it's just your car and not yourself or others...

Good luck.

BTW, sounds to me the city my be liable for unsafe driving conditions if this has happened numerous times...worth looking into anyway....talk to tow truck dude about it...

Based upon the pictures submitted, I don't see water in the shadows or anywhere else. I don't know what speed either SUV took the corner at. If plenty of SUV's and mini-vans crashed into that same concrete wall..... other than the couple of high end performance cars and couple of Ferrari's mentioned, then all you guys down there should SUE the pants off those responsible for putting in sprinklers that make the road such a accident hazard. The plants should be watered manually or only at mid-day when the sun is hottest and the water will dry out after a few vehicles ride over it.At the very least a "Slippery when Wet" sign. I don't live in that area so I can only comment on the evidence submitted. You obviously know the area and it's nuances. It just seems strange to me that all the high end cars end up in the bushes going "well under" the posted 60 mph limit. Can you post the data on all the other mortal cars that have eaten concrete on that stretch? If you know that stretch is that dangerous someone is gonna get killed. Do something to make that turn safer for ALL drivers. Let's not BS here, all of us know that a sign that says 60 MPH, driving an NSX or Ferrari at 8AM doesn't give your foot a hard on? I wasn't born recently nor served on Rodney King or OJ Simpson juries. Why do we own the F******* car in the first place? To show and not perform? Wider rims and tires? Superchargers? Suspension threads? Sway bar questions? Oh yes, all those are not performance enhancers. They are for show. My BAD. I'm a dumbass, just like Adrian.

Danny RED SR 71
REPEAL V.C. 22351
:smile: :biggrin: :wink: :eek:

Last edited:
A) as stated by happa, there is no puddle for you to see in the picture. the road had an area that was damp due to the sprinklers. (have you ever seen asphalt that was discolored slighly due to being damp)
B) it seems like a lot of high performance rear wheel drive cars have had problems with this piece of road. When the road is slippery wouldn't you expect this? Does your nsx do as wheel in the snow as a front wheel drive accord?

I just don't understand your tone, this poor guy made a mistake and admitted as much and you seem to want to debate his recap of the story.

Their is no debate because i agree with your last sentence in your last post the one starting with I"m... and ending in dumbass.

img_2238_2.jpg

I adjusted the gamma to better show the water. You can see most of the water accumlating along the lines where less cars go over it. The picture was taken 20 minutes after the accident so the grounds were definitely dryer.

All you need is a little water to get the wheels loose, once they're loose it doesn't matter what the ground is - you're going to slide.

I agree that there should have been a slippery when wet sign. Though there might have been one and I didn't see it. I don't know. I'll have to revisit the area.

I'm debating about fighting the ticket or not. It's not a priority for me, getting the car back to how it was is all I'm thinking about.

Anyway, I appreciate the understanding on some of y'alls part.

jagtiger said:
The exact same thing happened to me last nov 2005 - I was really surprised that my rear wheel suddenly loose its traction after doing an agressive lane change at a slightly curving road. The road was dry and my tires are brand new. I was runnin 19/18's - and don't know why it happened? I read that one reason would be the suspension wasnt able to handle the much larger/heavier wheels/tires. I have eibach pro springs on stock shocks.

I HAVE READ SIMILAR ACCIDENTS ON NSX'S WITH LARGER AFTERMARKET WHEEL SET UP. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL DRIVING YOUR NSX AGGRESSIVELY IF YOUR SUSPENSION/SPRINGS/SHOCKS ARE NOT PROPERLY TUNED FOR AFTERMARKET WHEELS/TIRES. I CAN NAME ATLEAT 5 OTHER PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT EXPERIENCED A SIMILAR ACCIDENT.

Thanks for your concern. I have stock springs on Bilstein shocks and hadn't had a problem before. I've been on numerous canyon runs and have taken the car around corners at much faster speeds no problem with the same setup (then again the pavement was dry). I'm taking this as a sign to take at the car to the track and learn the limits and how to correct these sorts of things, so I can better react if a similar situation comes up.

Back