• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC sound clip?

Hello all, this is my first post here. I was just wondering if anybody has a sound clip recorded from inside of a CTSC car as it accelerates.

See, my dad's been hankering for more power in his '99 NSX and he's been considering the CTSC kit. But he wouldn't install it (or any FI setup, for that matter) if that means ruining the engine sound. He LOVES the sound of his NSX when it's in the upper rev range. Since he's not very Internet-savvy, I thought I'd do the research for him. So if anybody has a clip, please send me a link!

Thanks!

Pulp Racing has some great footage(comptech supercharged NSX) and in car video here. It is about 68 megabytes.

Disclaimer: This video is big. You will need a high speed Internet connection to view it. Or just click on the page, wait about 45 minutes, and then the video should be downloaded by then. It down loads in a few minutes(or less!) over cable modems. Enjoy!
John

ANYTIME said:
Pulp Racing has some great footage(comptech supercharged NSX) and in car video here. It is about 68 megabytes.

Disclaimer: This video is big. You will need a high speed Internet connection to view it. Or just click on the page, wait about 45 minutes, and then the video should be downloaded by then. It down loads in a few minutes(or less!) over cable modems. Enjoy!
John

Thanks John! And thank god for cable modems! :D

You can definetly hear the SC whine on a comptech SC, but it sounds good... You still hear the engine, and I would imagine you can still hear a louder exhaust... though I don't recall hearing the comptech exhaust on the SC i drove...

I have the comptech installed on my 3.2 engine and I would say at any rpm above idle it improves the sound of the engine.

At Idle though there is a slight rattle that comes from the supercharger that doesn't sound the greatest, but the extra power was worth it in my book.

Deltron - Ive got the new blower and at idle, it is barely audible with my Cantrel AIS and my Taitec JGTC Parallel exhaust.

At full throttle the sound out of the vent is intoxicating though! The whine is awesome, but is NEVER annoying or grinding or anything like that.

Stop teasing me!!! I wanna hear it!!!

BioBanker said:
Deltron - Ive got the new blower and at idle, it is barely audible with my Cantrel AIS and my Taitec JGTC Parallel exhaust.

At full throttle the sound out of the vent is intoxicating though! The whine is awesome, but is NEVER annoying or grinding or anything like that.

Deltron Zero said:
Stop teasing me!!! I wanna hear it!!!

Biobanker is the king of tease man! Its because of his descriptions I have a Cantrell AIS and a CTSC for a car I have not even received yet. Now he's got me buying Toda and other crap I can't afford. He is the last guy you want to talk to when you want to know how good something is.... listen to him... "intoxicating".... "awesome".... "never annoying".... he'll make you buy it all!!!! :eek:

wow... who owns that NSX? you can definitely hear the SC... I love it.

dad's_nsx said:
See, my dad's been hankering for more power in his '99 NSX and he's been considering the CTSC kit. But he wouldn't install it (or any FI setup, for that matter) if that means ruining the engine sound. He LOVES the sound of his NSX when it's in the upper rev range.
The sound will change. I didn't realize how much until several months ago when I drove a friend's stock NSX (mine has whipple CTSC). The stock NSX is possiblly the best-sounding V6 ever produced...the exhaust and induction pair up to create a beautiful sound.

The supercharger completely changes the induction sound, introducing it it's own spinning/wining sound (lovely in it's own right) and (given it's location between throttle body and intake manifold) pretty much blocks the stock induction sound (except for that gasping sound created by air rushing past the throttle).

I'm not sure if/how much the SC changes the exhaust note itself, but putting on aftermarket headers/exhaust with the SC (very common to combine these) will obviously change the exhaust note (and thus also change the overall sound).

They're both good sounds and I can't say either is better worse (it's subjective). I would have your dad drive several supercharged NSXs with different exhausts (shouldn't be difficult to pull off in the LA area...or have him attend NSXPO). He may find a combo that sounds great to him...or he may find that he likes the stock sound more than increased power.

This thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69254 has a good video showing the sound of the NSX with CTSC. 2nd video, make sure you watch long enough to hear what it sounds like when not accelerating (the wine of the supercharger isn't all the time, just when accelerating hard).

Actually after listening a few times the SC whine seems like it would get annoying... I don't know.. I prefer the sound of air going in and exhaust coming out than some whine but I will have to see. All of a sudden I am worried I may not like that SC noise... at least the car will be a lot faster and hopefully that will make up for it.

Hmm. Maybe it's more quiet with the engine cover on. I wonder if it's on in that clip.

TURBO2GO said:
Actually after listening a few times the SC whine seems like it would get annoying... I don't know.. I prefer the sound of air going in and exhaust coming out than some whine but I will have to see. All of a sudden I am worried I may not like that SC noise... at least the car will be a lot faster and hopefully that will make up for it.

TURBO2GO said:

It might be important to note that I have my engine cover off, which definitely lets more whine be heard. And the whine is more a function of throttle position not so much just RPM. Oh, and with the windows down it's also more exhausty sounding. I think SC whine is prolly an aquired taste, just like beer. :biggrin:

TURBO2GO said:
Actually after listening a few times the SC whine seems like it would get annoying...
I've never heard from a CTSC owner or a passenger in my car who was annoyed by the whine (especially since it's only there under heavy acceleration, not when crusing/decelerating). I can't say the same (that people aren't annoyed) for exhaust notes (some exhausts are very loud or can drone at RPMs).

what exactly causes the whine? How is it that it is there under hard acceleration but no so under more normal driving? I am unclear about this.

TURBO2GO said:
what exactly causes the whine? How is it that it is there under hard acceleration but no so under more normal driving? I am unclear about this.

"Some types of twin-screw superchargers sit above the engine like the Roots supercharger. They also make a lot of noise. The compressed air exiting the discharge outlet creates a whine or whistle that must be subdued with noise suppression techniques."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger4.htm

My car sounded better to me before the CTSC. It was a really great sound and the CTSC totally changed it, especially when in V-tech. It has lost the intake scream and has been replaced by a whine that sounds like when they hit warp speed in Star Trek.
The car is much faster this way and I hide my suffering with a big grin.

Re: Star Trek sound clip?

Does anyone have a sound clip of the warp speed sound in Star Trek? I forgot how that went. :wink:

pbassjo said:
My car sounded better to me before the CTSC. It was a really great sound and the CTSC totally changed it, especially when in V-tech. It has lost the intake scream and has been replaced by a whine that sounds like when they hit warp speed in Star Trek.
The car is much faster this way and I hide my suffering with a big grin.

Re: Star Trek sound clip?

Deltron Zero said:
Does anyone have a sound clip of the warp speed sound in Star Trek? I forgot how that went.

Dude are you bored?

Back