• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom T-shirt printing

I wanted buy a dream theater shirt for my son for christmas. The band does not sell a single product in his size so I designed my own and was going to have a shirt made.

Just got a call that my order was cancelled because the band logo is copyrighted.

Any other ideas?

This may sound too obvious, but I would ask around my network of friends until I found someone who prints shirts. If they are a close enough friend or small enough of a producer, they might be willing to do it. I have a close friend who does small scale printing and asked him to do basically the same exact thing you're asking for and he said, ".....maybe."

They won't all say yes, but you'll have better luck than asking large-production companies that aren't willing to risk it compared to your hypothetical friend who works out of his garage.

Advice #2: I have ran into shirt producers on ebay that apparently "own" the copyright--or however it works--and are willing to print their copyrighted images on basically anything you want. You could ask if they would be able to get a blank shirt in your desired fitment. This is not very often the case, but I have seen it a couple of times.

Sorry not of much help, good luck.

P.S. Although I'm not a fan of DT, I did get to see them open up a show for Iron Maiden in 2010. Great show, and ran into a couple people that actually went for DT and not Maiden.DSC00738.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks much. I did ask a friend who has a t-shirt business but he only does screen printing which doesn't lend itself to doing 1 offs.

Nice seats for that show btw :). I'm a big maiden fan too. Even bruce 's solo stuff. But Hugh wins as far as NSX prime maiden fans. He's overboard Loco for IM.

Not trying to screw anybody on the copyright. I want to give them my $$ but they don't sell jack in kid sizes. Mike portnoy in the past has even given some advice on printing your own DT stuff because as a band they have zero control over what is printed and the pricing. Anyway in the end I found a solution I'm happy with.

Back