• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Damned rattling noise from behind the dash

Hi,

Ive got this non-stop rattling noise coming from under the dash. It sounds more like a small loose screw knocking against something metal. The sound occurs mainly while cornering. Changing the amount of loading during a turn seems to provoke the clicking sound.

Its probably not from within the dash since it still rattled after I had pulled out the panels under the drivers side, panels under the passenger side, the glove box, central console, radio, vents, heater controls, etc... all of it and it still rattles.

Ive lubricated the joint between the defroster vents and the dash itself.

Ive pulled out the spare, the spare mounting bracket and still no joy. Ive removed and remounted the battery and battery box.

Ive checked underneath in the central tunnel area and all the pipes are fixed in place. The positive battery cable is the only thing loose in there, but it doesnt seem to make the same type of noise.

Ive even given the local dealer a go at it and they came up emptyhanded.

Anyone out there have any experiences with loose stuff? Ive wasted 4 weekends now and I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Hi Joe,

I had a rattle that eluded me for months.

To cut a long story short, it turned out to be the red plastic lens on the emergency flasher switch mounted on the column stalk. It was just a little loose and only vibrated on certain road surfaces.

The only other rattle that has ever come to light (no pun intended) was produced by the windscreen mounted rearview mirror. The rattle was caused by the anti-glare mechanism
... a mechanical switch that tilts the mirror down to reduce glare from the lights of following cars. If it occurs I just re-adjust the mirror for a temporary cure.

Hope this is of some use.

Bob in New Zealand.

Originally posted by Bob from New Zealand:
Hi Joe,
be the red plastic lens on the emergency flasher switch mounted on the column stalk. windscreen mounted rearview mirror. The rattle was caused by the anti-glare mechanism
Bob in New Zealand.

Hi Bob,

Well, its not the emergency flasher switch lense. Ive got the rear view mirror rattle as well, but that sounds different.

The rattle seems to come from inside the central tunnel area or just beyond the front firewall. It sounds like someone had hung a nut from a piece of string and let it swing back and forth against the front firewall.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I don't have an answer, but if it's any consolation, I'm getting the same noise
frown.gif

-Bob ('94 #496)

Originally posted by flaminio:
I don't have an answer, but if it's any consolation, I'm getting the same noise
frown.gif

-Bob ('94 #496)

DOH!!! Well, I'll let you know what it is when I find it.

I get a noise fitting your description, and it always turns out to be the wing nut on the spare tire. But you said you checked and this isn't it, so I guess yours has a different cause.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I get a noise fitting your description, and it always turns out to be the wing nut on the spare tire. But you said you checked and this isn't it, so I guess yours has a different cause.

Hi,

That was one of the first things I checked. That was also the first thing the dealer checked.

Ive noticed that the battery box handles occassionally rattle against the 2 bolts holding it down. Putting some 1/8" or 1/4" rubber hose over the bolts seems to quiet that down a bit. Fastening foam insulation over the handles works as well. This didnt solve my problem, but the car is quieter when hitting potholes.

Back