• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Data request...please post your transmission serial number & year

All

After asking around at NSXPO and learning there is no real database for transmission serial numbers, I was hoping to just crowd-source my answer from you all. I am trying to see what transmission serial numbers were assigned/attached to which model year cars. For now, I want to focus on the 5 speed manuals. This is not snap ring-related (or damage, warranty, etc.) - it is just a data capture.

If you would not mind, please post your model year and then serial number below. I will post mine (I need to run out and actually look at it again to be sure.)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I think we all know the SR8 prefix serial numbers were from the replacement case transmissions.

for the nsx-noobies like me, how can i easily find the serial number? do i have to crawl under the car to find it?

It is on top of your transmission. Shine a light down from the forward side of the airbox and look from the rear side of airbox, down onto the top of the transmission. There is a white sticker on there. It should start with J4A4.

You can find the information in the workshop manual, parts system, etc.

Please note that the following info is for US, Canada 5MT models only and not for JDM, European, etc.

Also, the definition of the 'year model' is different depending on the market.

J4A4-1000001 - ; 91
J4A4-2000001 - ; 92, 93
J4A4-3000001 - ; 94
SR8M-6100001 - ; 95, 96

J4A4 was manufactured at Wako plant.
SR8M was from Suzuka.

Kaz

Last edited:
Hi Kaz,

Interesting data. I see the snap-ring transmission range is J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978. Based on your data above that would tell me all snap-ring transmissioms would be in the 1991 model year. I was under the impression that snap-ring transmissions were originally in later year 1991's and early 1992 US models. You mentioned about "Model Year". In this case does the "model year" for the trans represent when it was build, or which model year car it was built with?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
LarryB

Thank you, Kaz-kzukNA1:
I have workshop manuals. I guess I need to break one out and compare with your notes. Thank you for posting this information.
I guess this makes sense since I was able to dust a 1994 coupe out of the corners in my 1995 (better gearing) at Road America.

Kaz - kzukNA1: I just went and looked at my manuals... 1991, 1995 and 1997 and holy-moly you are spot on. There is a wealth of info in there including engine serial number starting points. For those of you that were wondering about keeping your old motors...there is now some reference to what serial number ought to be in there!

1991 MT001269
J4A4-1001412
date of mfr 11/90

Hi Kaz,

Interesting data. I see the snap-ring transmission range is J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978. Based on your data above that would tell me all snap-ring transmissioms would be in the 1991 model year. I was under the impression that snap-ring transmissions were originally in later year 1991's and early 1992 US models. You mentioned about "Model Year". In this case does the "model year" for the trans represent when it was build, or which model year car it was built with?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
LarryB
Hi, Larry.

I always use VIN instead of 'Year model' because quite often, I found out that the information from the owners were wrong.
Even the car registration document in UK was showing the wrong info from time to time if the car was imported from another market.
However, with the Acura models, I believe it has a sticker showing the manufactured month/year info at the door opening so better than other markets.

I never liked the idea of 'Year model' because there are so many differences depending on the market region, the timing of manufacturing VS registered date, etc.
In Japan, you won't even recognise the 'Year model' because the Japanese calendar (at the moment, it's 'Heisei' era. It's based on the number of years the emperor has been in rule.) is mainly used for its market instead of A.D..
My NSX is 94 model (based on VIN code NA1-120type) but in Japan, it's normally called as H6 model.....

Another example.....
For those with the Type-R knowledge, people knows that the final production year for NA1 Type-R was 1995 so there is no 96 model.
Strictly speaking, the final date for placing the order was 20/Sep/95.
I know one owner who has Type-R 95 spec (based on VIN code) but only registered in 96 due to the time it took for manufacturing.
Do you call it 95 or 96 model???
I call it NA1-130type based on the VIN system used in Japan.

Also, unless you are the original owner of the car, the year model information that you got from the previous owner is not necessarily correct.

Any way, J4A4 gbox was used outside of Japan and never used there. With JDM, it started with J4A3 spec (shorter gear ratio).

Out of these, the J4A4-100xx series were on the 91 spec VIN code for Acura and Honda branded European, etc market (model code such as KE, KF, KG, KQ, KU, KX) models.
Therefore, it is possible that although the VIN shows it as 91 spec, it could be sold/registered in 92.
For the snap ring region, best to go by the gbox # for the above reason.

With 92 spec VIN code using J4A4 spec gbox, all of them (non-JDM) moved onto J4A4-200xx series.

In 93, many markets started using J4A3-, J4E3-, etc spec but some markets stayed with J4A4 spec.

Please note that there are many mistakes in the workshop manual as well as in the parts system (Recently, being caught by this with the spec of VTEC spool valve filter.....).

Kaz

Last edited:
Model Year: 1991
5 Speed Transmission Serial Number: S4SP-1000034

Consider that one an outlier for your data...
Hi, [MENTION=31645]Lude_2_NSX[/MENTION].
Very likely to be your original gbox (J4A4-100xx) was within the snap ring range.

As J4A4 gbox was not used on JDM, I don't know exactly how the markings were done to show the TSB repair for snap ring range gbox when there were two different methods used.

The gbox no. label is on the CL housing so if the trans case was replaced but the main/counter parts inside were re-used and kept the original CL housing, the gbox no. label would stayed the same unless replacement was included in the warranty repair kit.
If it was included, it would be very likely to be the S4SP- one.

However, normally at Honda, for this type of repair, the operator would be asked to mark the serial no. label, VIN plate under the hood/bonnet or at specific place on the car with some sort of specific markings (like dot or paint marking at specific place) for every TSB repair carried out.

Otherwise, even after the repair was carried out, the gbox no. still stayed within the snap ring range that no one could tell from outside whether the repair was already done or not.

At the time of this issue, the dealers were requested not to open the gbox if the snap ring was already broken at the time of inspection so this will force them to return the gbox together with the CL housing.
Thus, for this method (replacing the entire gbox including the main/counter parts plus the CL housing), the new gbox is very likely to be the S4SP-100xx series because by the time the first TSB was released, the gbox was already into the J4A4-200 series.

Either way, it's good sign that your gbox had new trans case or entire gbox replaced for the snap ring range.

Kaz

Hi, @Lude_2_NSX.
Very likely to be your original gbox (J4A4-100xx) was within the snap ring range.

As J4A4 gbox was not used on JDM, I don't know exactly how the markings were done to show the TSB repair for snap ring range gbox when there were two different methods used.

The gbox no. label is on the CL housing so if the trans case was replaced but the main/counter parts inside were re-used and kept the original CL housing, the gbox no. label would stayed the same unless replacement was included in the warranty repair kit.
If it was included, it would be very likely to be the S4SP- one.

However, normally at Honda, for this type of repair, the operator would be asked to mark the serial no. label, VIN plate under the hood/bonnet or at specific place on the car with some sort of specific markings (like dot or paint marking at specific place) for every TSB repair carried out.

Otherwise, even after the repair was carried out, the gbox no. still stayed within the snap ring range that no one could tell from outside whether the repair was already done or not.

At the time of this issue, the dealers were requested not to open the gbox if the snap ring was already broken at the time of inspection so this will force them to return the gbox together with the CL housing.
Thus, for this method (replacing the entire gbox including the main/counter parts plus the CL housing), the new gbox is very likely to be the S4SP-100xx series because by the time the first TSB was released, the gbox was already into the J4A4-200 series.

Either way, it's good sign that your gbox had new trans case or entire gbox replaced for the snap ring range.

Kaz

This was my theory, but I could not find any evidence supporting it. Looking around prime and elsewhere there only seems to be one other documented gbox with the S4SP prefix. Documentation wasn't as prevalent in the early 90's, so we may never know...

Very old thread here, sorry to bring it up again.
I am in New Zealand and got a used transmission in late 2007 which I have had in my project car since 2008, and its a S4SP-100085. B-Series, 5 speed. I think its 4.4:1 final drive, but other than that I have no information on it as I have been hunting for some years to find what it is exactly.
Based on replies on here, is it another gearbox which was repaired due to some snap ring issue? What would the original transmission have been?

What I dont understand though is the NSX appears to be a V6 engine, while mine is a Honda B16A2 engine, front wheel drive. So a bit confused if this is even the same sort of gearbox at all.

IT_IMG_0370.jpg

Largely irrelevant picture but one I found in my archive which shows the gearbox sticker.

Thanks

Last edited:
The B series transmission is completely different so I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. It sits on the passenger/right side since the B series engine (along with the other 90s Honda 4 cylinder motors) spins counterclockwise instead of clockwise like most other engines, and the C series transmission sits on the driver/left side, so the transmission layout is mirrored. The C30 transmission is also much larger and stronger.

The S4S transmission is a B16 transmission which just means it has the shortest gear ratios available out of all the B series transmissions. To see if it has an LSD you'll need to remove an axle and look in the hole.

Last edited:
The B series transmission is completely different so I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. It sits on the passenger/right side since the B series engine (along with the other 90s Honda 4 cylinder motors) spins counterclockwise instead of clockwise like most other engines, and the C series transmission sits on the driver/left side, so the transmission layout is mirrored. The C30 transmission is also much larger and stronger.
Hi - yes, aware they are different now. Was more replying to the S4SP- thing, and stating I had a S4SP too.
I really am wondering if the S4SP is some sort of 'special' badge not just limited to NSX, but other transmissions too that have had work done via warranty repair or recall or something, by Honda.

Nice to see another S4SP posting here. I've still never had a definitive answer as to why, @Kaz-kzukNA1 has provided the most comprehensive explanation to date. Here's a picture of my 91:
Trans_Number.JPG

Like Kaz said, since it's not in the range, I am "assuming" there's nothing to worry about regarding snap ring range...

Hi, mine '92 NSX serial number is J4A4-1004709 and unfortunately is included in the range (J4A4-1003542 a J4A4-1005978).Does anyone know what the Honda shop is going to do now to fix this problem? I just contacted them but I did not yet get a reply... I am a bit concerned.... Thanks

Back