• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DayTime Running Lights (DRLs) for US imported Cars

s4play, relax man, edit your post or delete it.
This makes you look bad.
You must have been having a bad day.
Trev

Our lights are NOT the same as the HELLA in any way, please do not post false info...that's like saying the AMG and M3 cars are the same! :mad:

It's not like he took your idea and used the same company you did, added a bracket for easy mounting and started profiting off everyone. :rolleyes:

All he did was bring up another company that provides a similar light source.

Bumping this back to the top again...

Has anyone considered using the turn dignals for DRLs? Parking lights are not permitted but turn signals appear to be valid as long as they flash off when the signal is engaged during the day and operate normally at night.

Cheers,
Ian

Bumping this back to the top again...

Has anyone considered using the turn dignals for DRLs? Parking lights are not permitted but turn signals appear to be valid as long as they flash off when the signal is engaged during the day and operate normally at night.

Cheers,
Ian
Ian,
My Toyota Tacoma uses park lamps as DRLs from the factory, so I am confused by your comment. (Is this an Ontario regulation?)
I have done about 8 Alberta cars and one car from Manitoba with no issue. I have also helped out a couple of guys from Quebec.
My car passed out of province inspection with the park lamps lit.

I am not sure how it would look with the amber lamps on all the time.

Last edited:
I had thought that this section of TSD 108 stated that parking lights cannot be used as DRLs but I may have read it wrong. I might as well give the parking lamp DRL mod a shot anyway.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tsd-1080rev5_e-1231.htm

S5.5.11 [Replaced by subsections 108(44) to (65) of the MVSR.]

(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) and to be automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any "on" position, and as otherwise determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, provided that each such lamp...

Last edited:
anyone know the part # for the cdn drl? what are these worth?

From the Wiki (not sure how current this info is):

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Lights

How Can I Install Fog or Driving Lights?
[BP] I called an Acura dealer in Ontario (416-620-1987) today to ask about the driving light mounting bracket. The mounting brackets are not in stock at the Acura Parts Warehouse. They would take 4 weeks to get. If anyone is interested in the parts they are:
PT# 33920SLOCO1 $7.05 Canadian RT Mounting Bracket
PT# 33970SLOCO1 $7.05 Canadian LT Mounting Bracket
By the way, they are made of plastic.
If anyone is interested in the whole lighting kit, here are the part numbers:
PT# 33900SLOCO1 $410.00 Candian RT Driving Light and hardware
PT# 33950SLOCO1 $410.00 Candian LT side

Cheers,
Ian

This is a nice way of converting the parking lights into DRLs.

IMG_2479.jpg

BTW, the mounts for the Canadian DRLs are metal not plastic. But, since they are no longer available, it's a moot point.

Last edited:
This is a nice way of converting the parking lights into DRLs.

BTW, the mounts for the Canadian DRLs are metal not plastic. But, since they are no longer available, it's a moot point.

thanks! :)

We have two versions now - one that implements the turn signal as seen above or one that deletes the turn signal so we can do a total of 5 high power LED's with great separation. The light is on par with Porsche / BMW quality.

Offering a 2 day turn-around service if needed for expedite, please ask.

rick

No, US cars are not wired for DRL.

Bram

You don't really need to have a "pre-wired" car - we sell a full wiring harness for the DRL system that can be retrofitted on ANY NSX in under an hour with the proper tools and knowledge.

The NSX has the correct output terminal and our plug/play harness makes things simple.

Read more here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149179

sample:
NA1LEVEL2LED_1.jpg

So for importing a car into Ontario...
Can I, or can't I just use the parking lights for DRL's as explained in the first post?
Someone mentioned that parking lights can't be used? Is that true?

So for importing a car into Ontario...
Can I, or can't I just use the parking lights for DRL's as explained in the first post?
Someone mentioned that parking lights can't be used? Is that true?

From my understanding from our Canadian clients, you need Daytime running lights that are clearly marked with label for DRL usage. In other words the LED's must be specifically made for this type of purpose.

We just did this for a customer and shipping another set to a Canada NSX owner later this month. It allows for independent LED light on each side to be shut off when your blinkers are activated (Just like OEM Audi) and when your headlights are turned on, these lights will dim automatically.

c7df769e.jpg

photo.jpg

AF196DE7-A0C7-4576-BBBE-BBDDF7D4088F-1529-00000169B5831F78.jpg

Can anyone from Ontario chime in if you've passed inspections with the DRL method in the first post? I'd rather not spend 200 bucks on some LED's that I'd take off after the inspection.

Where are you located?

The NSX Club of Canada have a set of Canadian DRL lights that can be loan to members to help pass this inspection. This is a member benefit, and we can help with the installation too.

Bram

Last edited:
Actually the US cars are prewired at the front of the car but I wasn't able to trace where the wires went and couldn't confirm if the wires terminated in the car. I ended up just using the connectors that were pre-wired and running my own wiring.

Which means there should be connectors that you can use to connect to the OEM fogs (canadian DRL or euro fogs) to complete a harness. I have euro fogs but I believe the connector is the same.

Back