• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DBW ITB's

Does anyone make a DBW ITB kit?

I know several offer ITB's but the SOS kit and Toda are cable, i rather have DBW as it retains more factory features.

Also adding to this, does anyone make a intake box or filter kit as a option?

Thanks

What features do you lose with a cable throttle? The only thing I can think of is TCS, even the OEM cruise control will work with ITBs. (albeit not that well without modification of the CC box in the front bay) There are plenty of benefits to DBW though so if you can get it working, that would be incredible.

That said, there's no off the shelf DBW ITB kits for NSX. To be fair though, not ITB kit is really "off the shelf" you'll need to do a lot of custom work to get any of the options running well.

However, piecing together the DBW hardware should not be that much more difficult than installing a cable setup.

Jenvey sells a DBW actuator specifically meant for this purpose: https://store.jenvey.co.uk/electronic-actuator-eta2

BMW also has DBW actuators for several of their V8 ///M engines such as the S62 and S65 that you might be able to adapt.

The AS motorsport kit uses Jenvey ball joints in the linkage so fabricating a mounting bracket for the actuator and hooking it up would be about all that's needed to turn that into a DBW setup. I believe the Hayward, SoS, and Mita kits use Jenvey throttles as well. Not sure about Toda.

Tuning is where the real pain is. You'd have to get a DBW-capable standalone ECU, probably add more wires to control the actuator (or repurpose the 6 pin TCS connector in the engine bay if you have a 91-94 car) and tune it from the ground up. Carl Hernandez would be good to talk to about this as I know he likes to run DBW with his Emtron ECU setups but most current generation standalones should support DBW capability. Make sure you find someone who can tune it (if you aren't doing it yourself), and go over your plans with them BEFORE you buy anything, as there are very few DBW aftermarket ITB setups and probably not many people that have experience tuning them.

Last edited:
Does anyone make a DBW ITB kit?

I know several offer ITB's but the SOS kit and Toda are cable, i rather have DBW as it retains more factory features.

Also adding to this, does anyone make a intake box or filter kit as a option?

Thanks
I think I owe you a reply somewhere. Your SN looks familiar. Anyway...

There are no DBW ITBs currently available that i'm aware of. I helped HQ Engineering retrofit a DBW actuator on a modified ASM/SOS ITB kit. ASM is prototyping a setup now but who knows on future availability.

No off the shelf intake plenum or filter options available either. Mine is a setup retrofited to the ASM ITBs.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help. As, @MotorMouth93 eluded to... ITBs are awesome. They're intricate, precise, and mechanically busy and complicated, but if I knew nothing about engines and if I didn't have the patience to learn... i'd really have to have access to a good tuner/mechanic that will set it up and regularly maintain it for me. Otherwise, as car nerds get exited about solving problems that come up with ITBs, the casual enthusiast will likely get frustrated. I'm not sure where on this spectrum you are :D

Even factory ITB setups require occassionaly resync'ing and linkage maintenance. They're like mechanical watches.

With that said, both @MotorMouth93 and I have gotten our ITB setups running pretty darn well. For the most part, mine operates like a stock engine. I still have some minor issues to work out but that's really a function of my available time to tinker with it but on any given day I can fire up the car and go for a kickass drive. (Well... that was before this wknd....). If you decide to go down this path please post on here! We'd love to help.

I *almost* developed a DBW system on the ASM ITBs but my current ECU doesn't support DBW as well as i'd like so i'm sticking with cable throttle for the time being. DBW with ITBs opens up so many possibilities! It may actually simplify a lot of things like idle control, cold start, AC compensation, and such.

Back