• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer "Confimation"

I was at the Acura dealer today to buy a new TL and spoke with them about the new NSX. They said they got a briefing today saying the new NSX would be out in 2005 with a 380 HP/NA 3.5L V6. They really don't have many other details. They said the price is still undecided (they are hearing two possible numbers, one lower than the current and one higher).

It will be interesting. I will ping the dealer about the car when I get information on delivery of my TL and keep everyone posted.

Well, if that info is right, the HSC should compete well against a base model corvette. Too bad it will be 2x the price.

NetViper said:
Well, if that info is right, the HSC should compete well against a base model corvette. Too bad it will be 2x the price.

Not necessarily. The dealer implied the reason for the indecision with the price is to decide what market they want to compete in. If they want to compete with vipers & vettes, the price will be lower than the current car (maybe 70K). If they want to compete in the market with the GT, 360, Gallardo it will be more like 120+. They are recongnizing the fact that the current NSX is in a class by itself (this is actually part of why I bought one).

red_MM_nsx said:
Not necessarily. The dealer implied the reason for the indecision with the price is to decide what market they want to compete in. If they want to compete with vipers & vettes, the price will be lower than the current car (maybe 70K). If they want to compete in the market with the GT, 360, Gallardo it will be more like 120+. They are recongnizing the fact that the current NSX is in a class by itself (this is actually part of why I bought one).

I hope you are wrong. Droping price would devalue the present car.

Another question would be, if they change the price, will the car be different based on price or are they just charging more for a car they could sell for less?

Sloopy said:
I hope you are wrong. Droping price would devalue the present car.

Actually, if you haven't noticed, this seems to be the trend now for Japanese sports cars. All the new ones have been "value" oriented compared to the car they replaced.

The 350Z, for example, is way cheaper than the 300ZX TT that it replaced. Some might even argue the RX8 vs the old RX7, but with rumors of a new RX7, this might not be the case (unless the new RX7 will sell in the mid 20s).

I wouldn't be surprised if they continue this way of thinking with the NSX.

Since Honda is now using a Turbo in the JGTC, I think it is VERY possible they will use a turbo in the next NSX. They will have a couple of years of practice with it racing. It would be awesome.

My hope: HSC, 2800 lbs, 500 HP 3.8L Turbo. same price.

Honda has done a production Turbo car. So it's not a stretch, but I think it's unlikely....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16890

It seems to be a popular opinion worldwide, that the use of a turbo on a sportscar is "cheating". It's a proven quick and cheap way to get power, but it doesn't seem to be the first choice for any car manufacturer looking for "supercar" acceptance by the world press (or near supercar status, as is the case with our beloved 1st gen nsx).

As for the new nsx, 3.5 liter, normally aspirated, i-Vtec is my vote, as long as the engineers can beat! the 110 hp/liter mark (S2000) to get 385-400hp. I think reaching 400hp, normally aspirated, in a 2800 lb car is close to the Honda benchmark for this car, imo of course. What do you think? See my poll and vote on it.

DONYMO said:
...and you still wouldn't buy it! :p

Only cause I cannot afford it! Just as I cannot afford a 2004 NSX. But in 5 years, it is a different story.

New NSX

WOW. If they introduce the new car with 380 hp, reduced weight, etcetera--I think they have a winner. I would pony up the money!

The only other similar priced competitor is the Porsche C4S or upgraded C2. And if any of you have looked, the C4S goes for about $95k+ depending on whether you want a high end Bose Stereo, interior pieces etcetera. When I purchased my 01 NSX-T, I looked at Porsche. I would have purchased a Porsche Turbo, or a GT 2 or GT 3, but it would have cost me another $30 to $50K. I just did not want to spend the money.

I have owned at least 7 corvettes in the past growing up as a kid. Even the new corvette as fast as it will be is still a common car that will sell in the 25,000 to 50,000 units per year. It will still use off the shelf common components and seem inexpensive. It will probably still have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty as well. Even the Viper is a frame and old tecnology engine that happens to really grunt. I prefer a mechanical watch to the highly accurate quartz watch period! You will not be able to sell me a quartz watch no matter what it does for more than $100. But I would pay $3000 + for a mechanical chronograph. Having said that...

I think it is natural for people to want the most for their marque. The NSX Prime is one of the most fiercly dedicated car groups I have encountered. Never the less, Honda has to sell cars as new before others can buy them used. Honda has to look at its designated market segment--determine what the market wants and then build a car for that nicht. They cannot build the car for us enthusiasts unless we can afford to pruchase it. If you want fast you can add a Forced Induction to your current car.

Their competition is the exotic car, not and I say this again not a corvette. Please folks, if it was about going faster, than there are alot of cars out there that can do that. The more money the car costs the more exclusive it becomes. Obviously, there needs to be something that compels a person to want a car. The typical corvette owner is not of the NSX or Porsche market segment. I don't mean to imply anything in terms of one segment being "better" as people or the like. So don't start flaming me for that. As a marketter the facts are the facts. The current Z06 is affordable by most of the current NSX owners as a new car. They are currently being sold at discount for about $45k ish. I mean there are some civics out there that can really storm-but I won't buy one. :) That is my 2 cents.

They said they got a briefing today saying the new NSX would be out in 2005 with a 380 HP/NA 3.5L V6.

While I hope this is somewhat true, I'm not sure if I believe the dealer on this one. The dealers usually know as much as us about cars before they're released. They didn't even know the hp rating of the TL until the ride and drive right before it hit the showroom floor. Why would they release vital figures of the HSC this far in advance?

It's funny. I have a friend that works at Sierra Acura in So Cal and he tells me Honda does not tell them anything until they are about to launch the car.

When Honda officially set a debut date for the TSX, he only had a few weeks to learn all the TSX specs, which included a trip to Willow Springs to test drive the car.

Honda Headquarters is 15 mins away from me. I'm sure the dealers around me would know more if there is more to tell. Which IMHO there isn't.

so when is this sucker coming out? 2005 or 2006?

You'll probably want to call your local dealer on that one.....hehehe

While you're at it. Call your local Chevrolet dealership as they probably have just as much info on it as an Acura dealership would right now.

Yeah...dealers really do not know anything. When we had a deposit on the S2000 when it came out the dealer did not know ANYTHING!! I actually took them more information from the Internet then they had on the car...it was sad. Honda is a VERY secret oriented company.

Back