• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Death of the NSX *****

Well, I just put down the March issue of Car & Driver....

It looks like we can officially say goodbye. The planned *new NSX looks horrible.

Magazine says it was designed by a kid just 2 years out of college.

Shakes head.........what a pitty.

ASC is just a concept vehicle ,but yes the next Honda flagship sportscar will be a FR not MR. It's not the next NSX the NSX died when they cancelled it. This something different:wink: Wait till the Tokyo autoshow to see what a more finalized version will look like.

March 07 Car and Driver

p. 54
"Dubbed matter-of-factly the Advanced Sports Car, this imaginative embodiement of Acura's design direction is a thinly disguised look at the next Acura sprots car. Instead of competing with the exotic mid-engined Europeans, the new NSX will go head-to-head with more upscale GT's like the Aston Martin DB9."

p.55
"John Ikeda, principal designer at Acura, says that because the new sports car is aimed at high-level competitors, the challenge was to express Acura's so-called advanced philosophy in physical form comparable to the best in the industry."

p.57
"The show car wears 255/40R-19 fronts and 295/35r-20 rears on custom billet-machined, polished aluminum wheels....
The v-10 engine is rumored to displace 5.0 liters and make at least 450 horsepower...
What's also likely is a big price. Acura won't speculate on it, but we expect six figures, which, coincidentally, is what Lexus talks about for its upcoming LF-A coupe."

-----------------
I personally think it is a shame that on the NSX's premier website, more people seem excited about the upcoming Audi R8 that what we are seeing may be the new NSX. To me, that is the biggest sign that Acura/Honda is making a mistake.

Attachments

• 021607_21491.jpg
    021607_21491.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 021607_21492.jpg
    021607_21492.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 021607_21493.jpg
    021607_21493.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 021607_21501.jpg
    021607_21501.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I just checked out said car and driver while I was at chapters today. It seems that you're right. The concept looks quite nice, but It really doesn't seem to carry the essence of the NSX. Out of the lexus, the GTR, and the ASC, it seemed only the GTR was going to offer a manual tranny, which seems dissapointing. It also mentioned they expected the NSX successor to be between 100 and 150k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this significantly more than the NSX was going for?

Spot the diff...

Which one of these images does not belong:

A
bigshoe.jpg

B
clownshoe01.jpg

C
122520061917108245.jpg

D
clownshoes.jpg

E
istockphoto_907825_watermelon.jpg

Re: Spot the diff...

Which one of these images does not belong:

A
bigshoe.jpg

B
clownshoe01.jpg

C
122520061917108245.jpg

D
clownshoes.jpg

E
istockphoto_907825_watermelon.jpg

C. Much to nice to even be considered with those other things:biggrin:

So I was eager to pick up the new eddition of Car and Driver when I saw the new NSX successor on the cover, I flipped to the article right away in the store and my jaw dropped. I closed the mag and left without purchase. What is Acura thinking? I know the time comes for a new idea, new design, new concepts to hang with all the new fast cars coming out, the new Audi, the GT-R etc....but christ! I think Acura is going the wrong way. This isnt even a sports car persay anymore, its just a luxery car. They are even talking about making it a 4 seater. Sigh.......I guess when you just get used to something that is so perfect change is a hard thing to grasp. and you are right....the NSX did die when they stopped production. I couldnt even stand to look at the title on the mag...." The next NSX?" No way.

What happened to the HSC??? I was more easy on the eyes than this NSX wannabe. I don't think that this deserves the title of NSX sucessor

I agree with Nukem. What the hell happened to the HSC? That was a GORGEOUS CAR!!! I saw a pic of that and it immediatly made it to the background on my home computer. And now this? It looks horrible.
If people want to call it Acura's new super car, or whatever.... well that's fine, but leave the "NSX" name out of the conversation completly. One has absolutly NOTHING to do with the other. :mad:

If people want to call it Acura's new super car, or whatever.... well that's fine, but leave the "NSX" name out of the conversation completly. One has absolutly NOTHING to do with the other. :mad:

While i ABSOLUTLY agree with you - you cant comprae the ASS to the NSX - people naturally will because it's going to be Honda's new flagship car.

:( :( :( :( :( :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

I'm gonna cry if they release this BS! ....... There should be some sort of mass negative response from this ugly beast! We have to show honda that no one is going to buy it....

Last straw!
That is one SMOKING butt ugly piece of turd!
Really, which end is the front?? The rear looks like the front of the Camaro concept car.
Steve

Attachments

• 7a40e7foto3g8vp.jpg
    7a40e7foto3g8vp.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 83
My opinion on the NSX successor is very simple.

The New NSX should be a mid-engined exotic sportscar !!
Not a front engined GT car.

I can understand that Honda would like to sell many more of the new model but to me a front engined GT-car would just be like another sedan-derivative.
I've seen pictures of the concept Accord coupe and this NSX-sucessor basically looks just the same.
Of course, some will like it, but would it stand out on a parking lot ??

The NSX, even though it's an old design today, still stands out in the crowd. Still gets and draws attention from people of all ages.
I've even had people ask me which new model my NSX exactly is.

I hate it... I think it looks like a beefed up TL only worse.

The HSC was the logical next NSX... It was to look and perform like a new generation NSX with the same but improved attributes that drew us all to the first one.

The latest Acura concept car is a competetor for the upcoming Skyline and whatever Lexus puts out like the LF.

Acura can solve this by giving it a new name if they plan to market it without aggravating the current NSX owners. Because we all won't even want to own up to this new car dragging down the NSX name plate.

When someone asks what you drive you will have to add that it is a pre 06 NSX.

See I don't know. With all of those LED's in the back lookin' all snazzy during rush hour I would think it would have been better received here. It sure seems to me Honda is at last trying to give people what they want so they don't have to spend a thousand dollars modding their tail lights next time around. :cool:

See I don't know. With all of those LED's in the back lookin' all snazzy during rush hour I would think it would have been better received here. It sure seems to me Honda is at last trying to give people what they want so they don't have to spend a thousand dollars modding their tail lights next time around. :cool:

Tailights don't make the car... :rolleyes:

Tailights don't make the car... :rolleyes:

Apparently they do. All of these superficial design elements are quoted by many well recognized auto designers as either making or breaking winning modern designs. Even the popularity of aftermarket clear lenses bears this out, as would be seen on the AP2 S2000 and RX8.

I recall an interview awhile back with the designer of the Escalade on TV as stating that had they made the Caddy emblem even an inch smaller, sales would have suffered dramatically given their sales demographic. Same with the C6, apparently the greatest business decision is quoted as being the fixed headlight design.

It is sad to say, but the majority of customers purchase vehicles for far different reasons than performance purists.

Thus, don't be surprised if the entire tail end the engineers came up with in aero computer simulation gets re-designed simply because a college intern in there design studio thinks the tail lights need to be more pronounced. Ultimately, all production car designs are a balance between all of these marketing aspects given the resources invested.

As with most on this thread, I too certainly hope the product far exceeds all the crappy sketches we've seen. The last three-five years of offerings have been kind of a let down for me. I have no doubt that somewhere some manager is being kept awake at night wondering if his team are making the right decisions, or even being up to the challenge to again design something truely revolutionary enough to meet or eclipse the first generation Honda NSX.

Complaining is easy, stepping up and doing is the hard part.

Back