• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

deleting posts and threads

Is there any way to better manage users' ability to delete posts, post content and threads ??

I'm not sure how flexible UBB software is, so I don't know how these get implemented.

Some suggestions on "protocol" (for starters):
- deleting a "first post" only allowed to author (and admin) AND if there are no replies
- deleting a "non-first post" only allowed to author and admin, but leave a trace that such post was deleted (i.e., a blank post)
- deleting thread content -- suggest a guideline that discourages "deleting to a blank post" -- not sure how do to this (I'm not sure we want to remove EDIT options altogether)

What would folks like to see ??

Originally posted by cojones:
Is there any way to better manage users' ability to delete posts, post content and threads ??

Unfortunately, no. For example:

- deleting a "first post" only allowed to author (and admin) AND if there are no replies

According to Lud, there's no flexibility possible in UBB. If you allow the author to delete a post, you MUST allow the author to delete ANY post, including a first post, with or without replies. And if he deletes a first post to which replies are present, then the replies get deleted along with it.

- deleting a "non-first post" only allowed to author and admin, but leave a trace that such post was deleted (i.e., a blank post)

No can do. If you allow the post to be deleted, there is no trace left.

- deleting thread content -- suggest a guideline that discourages "deleting to a blank post" -- not sure how do to this (I'm not sure we want to remove EDIT options altogether)

The software doesn't allow a post to be changed to a blank post, but it allows a post to be changed to (for example) a period only.

That's just the way the software works; it's not a configuration issue. Even if folks here would like it work differently, it can't be done with the current UBB software.

was hoping to first better define requirements and preferences, then somehow implement these using a combination of policy/procedure and software-enabled features

Your responses indicate that available software controls do not give us any immediate options.
frown.gif

Would some sort of policy/procedure be appropriate, and enforceable, possibly with more ADMIN help besides Lud ??

Unfortunately the software does not really support any good solution to this situation. I think the current setup is the best of the available options. We can look at it again when the software changes....

Back