• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Determine to build a 5.1 Sound System!

Soon I will begin to rebuild the sound system. While I am imagining of building a DVD 5.1 with two sceens :p (want to get another pole from SOS so that I can install another 6.5 or 7 inch screen). Does anyone here try to build two rear speakers into the NSX? behind the driver and passenger seats? :confused:

I also want to avoid building too many things inside the boot so I think most likely I will put the amp behind the passenger seat. Will it be too hot for any electronics that are sitting behind the rear panel?

I am waiting the the Pioneet AVP7550 to arrive in HK. so still have plenty of time to consider

i thik the only way to put speakers behind the seats is if you use those flat speakers..

im sure you can put in 6x9 of 6 1/2 behind the seats but im sure you won't get the best of em since there's not enough room to enclose em properly.

These are the equipment that I am thinking of using:-

Pioneer AVH-P7550DVD (similar to the US version AVH 7500DVD)
Phoenix Gold Titanium 900.7

yet to determine what are the speakers to be used. Front and ceter will more important. but will settle something ready made for the rear.

Subwoofer wise, I am thinking of JL 10 inch max, but for easy installation, may settle with 8 inch!

I thought about using two 1/2 DIN Clarion center channel speaker systems for rear surrounds since they are sort of flat, but I decided to go with a single 3.5" speaker in the OEM center channel location (It will be a mono surround and not a true dedicated left and right surround, but I can live with that in the car). The other matching 3.5" speaker will be mounted in the empty space of the OEM navigation pod facing up in a sealed enclosure. It is not the best solution to bounce the sound off the glass, but with some tunning it should be fine. I currntly have the Alpine 7996 DVD player with the Alpine TME-M760 monitor. I will use the Alpine PXA-H700 5.1 DTS unit as well. For the sub I'm using a 6.5' JL Audio subwoofer in a custom fiberglass enclosure in the OEM location with about 0.3 ft^3 of space. With this sub I loose no space at all. If I wanted to go with an 8" I would have to loose about 2-4" of foot room which is more than fine with me, but I wanted to try the 6.5" sub first. For the amp I'm using a single Alpine 5 channel amp (MRV-F450 50WRMS X 4 and 200WRMS X 1).

The reason why I choose not to use the 1/2 DIN clarion center channel speakers for the surround and for the in dash center is because the reviews I heard mentiond that it has very little low end extension and thus makes the system sound a bit hard and bright.

This is very close to what I would like. could you send me some photos of your center speaker set up? I am thinking of doing the same thing for the center speaker!

NSXBenny said:
This is very close to what I would like. could you send me some photos of your center speaker set up? I am thinking of doing the same thing for the center speaker!

I haven't completed it yet. I only have the monitor, DVD, front door speakers, and amp hooked up thus far. The rear will simply go in the OEM location so that is easy. As for the front center, I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to mount it, but what I will do is drill some pass through holes on the top of the OEM nagivation pod so the sound can go through. I will also seal off that back area from the LCD monitor and mount a base plate to complete the sealed enclosure. Other than that, it is straight forward. The speaker will fire up toward the windshield.

Re: clean

92NSX said:
Clean install, but they look mighty small to be 8's.
That's because they're 5.25"'s
pain.gif

Excellent. I will definitely consider to install it that way!

Must copy the photo!

I still have problem to find a trust worthy installer here in HK

rear speakers and amp

I have some speakers built in to the rear (5 3/4"-DynAudio System 220). A fiberglass mount was fabricated and reskinned in black leather. The amp is a very thin 6 channel ADS. I'm 6'2" yet still don't drive with the seat all the way back so there was room to mount the Amp to a sheet of ABS that has replaced the factory cover piece. I also found room to mount the two crossovers back there on the bulkhead wedged in amongst all the electronics so they are out of sight. I thought they wouldn't add much to the listening experience, but I am really glad I went to the trouble, it sounds incredibly good.

With all your help, I think I am getting closer and closer to where I will be! More and more pictures will be mostly appreciated.

regards

Ben:)

The amp behind the seat is the way to go. I installed it in the trunk and have a lot of problems keeping it cool. If you mount it behind your seat it will only run a few more degrees the the cab.
You can always turn on the ac to cool it off.
The 6.5 screen for the pod is nice because there are buttons on the side that let you sorce the video you want.
You can go 7 inch with no buttons and it looks real clean.
You then can use your AVP7550 to source it.
I have seen an 8 inch mounted there as well but its a lot of work to make it fit.
A 10 inch sub is not going to give you more base then the 8 inch because of the space of the sub box is still the same.
I had a fiberglass box custom made so it would use up as much space as possible.
More pics here

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20508

fb96d298.jpg

Back