• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

diamond rings

So what do you look for when you buy one. I have been looking for one since Its time to take the big step in my life. The problem is that I have no idea what the hell I am looking at. Also how do I know I am not getting riped off. I see comercials on TV were they say that they sell diamonds that will appraise at 2 time what you pay for. So is there a easy way to buy this without having to have a diamond expert with you.

Some places are pretty good about educating the layman about diamond quality. I went to the Shane Co.(not sure if they are national) and they showed me the different colors and how to spot inclusions(imperfections).
I wanted to get a main stone that had no imperfections and had a good color(not yellowish) and had picked one out. The woman got involved and she picked a slightly bigger stone with a couple small inclusions(she couldn't see them with the naked eye but I could). Long story short she insisted on the larger stone with the inclusions(better bragging rights amongst her friends I guess) instead of the smaller one with no inclusions. Go figure.:rolleyes:

I was in your position a while ago. Got as far as actually buying the rock, but never pulled the trigger and now I'm sitting on a pretty expensive useless piece of carbon.
Like all major financial investments I get into, I usually research the bejesus out of it until I’m almost an expert in the field before spending my hard earned cash. Here’s what I learned about buying a diamond ring broken down to layman’s terminology.

Diamonds are rated on 4 scales. They are Cut, Color, Carat, and Clarity. An association called the GIA, has a guideline for each category to put a diamond on this scale.

I could go into each one but instead spend a lot of time here as it has excellent information on each of categories:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds/diamond-education?track=head

That’s pretty much all you need to know on what determines the value of a diamond. Once you know the scales you can pretty much know to the dollar how much a diamond is worth. Keep in mind if you want a legitimate diamond and are willing to pay for it, make sure to get a GIA graded report for the diamond. Think of it as a certificate of authenticity. You wouldn’t buy a Rolex without one, so I would recommend that you get one for your diamond.

Once you know about diamond and their ratings, you can move on to some tips on pricing and diamonds in general.

1) First you need to know that diamonds are NOT a scarce commodity. They are fairly abundant but the value of them have be artificially inflated by the diamond industry. Also the idea of having a diamond being the means of engagement and having to cost 3 months salary, etc. etc. is also all marketing. If you follow the history of engagements, you’ll find that diamonds rings are only a very recent development to propose with. Also the value of how much you should spend is a completely arbitrary amount devised by the marketing team at DeBeers. However, I completely understand that you have to quantify your interest/love in someone somehow and if the current norm is in diamond rings, then so be it, then I guess we all have to play the game. The reason I mention this is because it is important to know that the value of a diamond is very arbitrary. It is completely demand based, so make sure you shop hard for the best value. It is one of the few purchases where haggling, bargaining and researching is very much worth the time and effort (like cars).

2) Your soon to be fiancé should fall under one of two camps. She cares how much you spend on the ring, or doesn’t care how much you spend on the ring. If she does care how much you spend, then you’ll have to focus on aspects of a diamond that reflect that. You’ll want a high quality diamond, GIA report and you’ll probably get a diamond that has high quality aspects that aren’t apparent beyond you and your fiancé. For example, there are levels of clarity and color that are imperceptible to all but the highest level gemologists, yet will impact the cost of a diamond tremendously. If your fiancé cares about the value (cost) of the diamond, then she’ll want these features because it will be a much more expensive diamond. It will just be for her own self worth and satisfaction because 99.9% of the people who actually see the ring wouldn’t be able to tell if it is a color level A or C. If she doesn’t care on the value, then you have a lot more flexibility on the price and/or size. You can cut corners on clarity and color because there will be small imperfections that the average person won’t be able to see. So you should either be able to save a few bucks on getting a slightly less perfect diamond or a bigger rock depending on which way you want to go. Also, this opens up the door to man made diamonds. See my post here for a good description of man made diamonds.

3) One advantage of buying a diamond outside of the US, like the Caribbean islands it that you don’t have to pay taxes. Also there are loop-holes in the US where you can avoid a sales tax as well. I don’t know your budget but if you were to buy a $10,000 diamond, in some states you could pay nearly $1,000 in sales tax. For that much you could fly to a Caribbean island, buy the exact same diamond and throw in a nice vacation for you and your fiancé as well. Another tactic is to buy the diamond in state but have it shipped to another state to someone you trust and avoid any sales tax. When I bought a high end watch for around $13,000, it was going to cost me around $1000 in sales tax. Instead I shipped it to my brother (insured of course) who then shipped it back to me. The tradeoff was that I had a few more day to enjoy my purchase.

That's pretty much the nuts and bolts of the actual diamond. As for the ring itself, that's all personal preference. What style, mounting, metal (gold, platinum etc.) is all going to be up to you and your wife to be. Just keep in mind a few simple things. If your wife is say tough with her hands or clumsy, consider using 6 prongs to hold the diamond in place. If you have only 4 prongs holding your diamond, and she bangs her hand against something and breaks one of those prongs, that diamond will go flying loose. 6 prongs will decrease the brilliance of the diamond because it will block the light that gets under the rock, but will give you one level of security. There are other tips, but if you have any specific questions, let me know.

lol as I was typing and on the phone bryan beat me to it......

Last edited:

1+

I highly recommend using a smaller, mom & pop type, jewelery store that typically has a much lower overhead than these high-end "mall" type stores. Even pawn shops that specialize in jewelry only can give some amazing deals.. Just make sure you get that GIA certification. There's a lot of variability between GIA and other certifying associations. Also, be sure you get insurance if it's a high dollar diamond. It's worth the piece of mind. I've been using these people for years and they are great:
http://www.jewelersmutual.com/

Make sure you don't get an "enhanced" or "treated" diamond too.

WOW VegasNSX, that is a lot of info for someone who isn't married. You have done your research.

One thing I will say is all women compare their rings like men with cars in most cases. However, if a women is demanding you pay such and such for her ring and nothing less than I recommend the following instructions:

RUN as fast as you can out the door and get your sh*t packed up the next day! Get away from her and find a new woman who will appreciate you and not what you buy her. At the rate divorces are happening women should be lucky they even get a ring instead of Pre-nup now.

Know on wood I am still married after 8 years but it is a tough road for most. Good Luck!

After you learn about what type of diamond your looking for, you can place a special order at Costco. As funny as it may seem, it's the safest way to guarantee your diamond or your money back, no hassles. Can't beat the price. My friend returned a $15,000 diamond ring with a certified gemologist certificate appraised at $20,000. Wedding was called off.

GIA certs level the playing field to a certain degree...however similarly graded diamonds may vary in price due to different characteristics of inclusions.

Use Blue Nile as a starting point. The wealth of information is crucial. Read, read read.

Also, use Blue Nile as a pricing standard. The tool they have for locating a diamond of your exact specifications/price is very useful.

If local, your jewelry dealer should match BN prices or come close since they can get a hold of the same diamonds Blue Nile has for sale. You probably shouldn't moan about paying the local dealer a slight markup for their time and their information. A good local dealer will likely be loyal to you forever.

If someone disparages BN, run like hell. Or if they insist on 10-15% markups from what you see on BN, run like hell. Oh, if the woman you're with insists on certain criteria outside of cut, i'd run like hell, too. :wink:

My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with a round brilliant ideal cut.

Good luck.

I recently bought my wifes (replacement) diamond on BN. They were great. Good pricing, good return policy.

I worked with a small local company on the setting. They were happy for my business and I bought the band from them as well.

Women see diamonds like we see cars:
Big Rock = Big Horsepower
Clarity = excellent handling and refinement

Sooooo - most women would prefer to have a 500hp Mustang vs a 270hp NSX. Go big or go home.

BTW - What happened Vamp? :eek:
You have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of you and you don't know why. Your nightly bloodlust has overflown into your days. You feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think your mask of sanity is about to slip. :wink:

WOW VegasNSX, that is a lot of info for someone who isn't married. You have done your research.

One thing I will say is all women compare their rings like men with cars in most cases. However, if a women is demanding you pay such and such for her ring and nothing less than I recommend the following instructions:

RUN as fast as you can out the door and get your sh*t packed up the next day! Get away from her and find a new woman who will appreciate you and not what you buy her. At the rate divorces are happening women should be lucky they even get a ring instead of Pre-nup now.

Know on wood I am still married after 8 years but it is a tough road for most. Good Luck!

Im with speed on this one... I went through the whole engagement thing 10 years ago, but we split a month before the wedding and I sat on the damn ring for years til finally I just took it to a pawn shop to get rid of it. I bought the ring at a mall jewelry store and if I ever get engaged again I am going to a mom and pop type place for sure.

Marketing by definition:

A predatory practice designed to influence the buying decision of an audience least capable of making an informed choice on their own.

Marketing by example:

Diamonds. They're not rare, they're not interesting, their value has been artificially and tightly controlled for a century, and for 99% of the population they're not distinguishable from a Russian CZ. If after knowing that you still have to spend a mint on one you deserve to be nailed.

Marketing by definition:

A predatory practice designed to influence the buying decision of an audience least capable of making an informed choice on their own.

Marketing by example:

Diamonds. They're not rare, they're not interesting, their value has been artificially and tightly controlled for a century, and for 99% of the population they're not distinguishable from a Russian CZ. If after knowing that you still have to spend a mint on one you deserve to be nailed.

LOL - looks like you took the same marketing classes I took in college. :biggrin:

You can go beyond the 4 cs for a diamond...

http://www.dimonz.com/giaagsreports.htm

Buying a diamond is give and take. As for clarity, unless you can see it with the naked eye, from my experience IF is overrated.

I just bought a 1.5c, e color, si2, round brilliant and it looked way much better than some other people 2 carat rings.

Go with GIA cert - better resale value / appraisal value for insurance.

Things to also keep in mind:

Polish
Symmetry
Cut - ideal / hearts and arrow grading 0
Table size
girdle thickness
angle of pavilion
angle of crown
depth
flourescence

All of these factors can bring up or bring down in price two identical diamonds at .. for arguement sake:

1.5c, d color, round brilliant.

am i the only one to recognize the true crime being committed here? Another poor guy who thinks his life is going to be happily ever after.. about to spend a few (more than a few?) grand on a diamond, and wish he'd just run away for the rest of his life..

poor poor guy.

Back