• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Diary Of A MadMan..The Waiting Game

I'm hoping a few of you can chime in and assuage my feelings:

I purchased my 1993 NSX about a week ago. I still haven't taken delivery yet and the waiting is driving me nuts. So many feelings go through my mind. First I'm overly excited. I can't wait to hear that sound of 8,000 RPM's just a few inches behind my head. The roar of the glorious NSX engine interrupts my sleep. The goose bumps I get every time I approach her sexy body. Then it's the feeling you get when you hit the perfect apex and the car slithers around the corner with razor like authority. These things fill my mind, absorbing my every thought.

Only then comes the anxiety. The question of whether or not I made the right decision. She's 16 years old. Will she be reliable? Will it start everyday? What if the paint, which looked so shiny in the photos and to the touch becomes less than perfect once the first wax wears off? What will I be stuck with?

What if after a few days of driving I come to the realization that, although she has only 29,000 miles, they weren't pampered miles and it feels more like it has 290,000 miles on her? You see, I'm a perfectionist. I realize that a car of this age isn't perfect, and I may have some work to do...but how much?

The car is to be delivered sometime this week. The hangup is the wheels and tires. The aftermarket ones were so ugly, I requested that the stock ones be refinished and new tires be mounted. It's the waiting. The waiting is making my mind wonder.

Can you shed some light on what to expect? Share your experiences.

I'm hoping a few of you can chime in and assuage my feelings:

I purchased my 1993 NSX about a week ago. I still haven't taken delivery yet and the waiting is driving me nuts. So many feelings go through my mind. First I'm overly excited. I can't wait to hear that sound of 8,000 RPM's just a few inches behind my head. The roar of the glorious NSX engine interrupts my sleep. The goose bumps I get every time I approach her sexy body. Then it's the feeling you get when you hit the perfect apex and the car slithers around the corner with razor like authority. These things fill my mind, absorbing my every thought.

Only then comes the anxiety. The question of whether or not I made the right decision. She's 16 years old. Will she be reliable? Will it start everyday? What if the paint, which looked so shiny in the photos and to the touch becomes less than perfect once the first wax wears off? What will I be stuck with?

What if after a few days of driving I come to the realization that, although she has only 29,000 miles, they weren't pampered miles and it feels more like it has 290,000 miles on her? You see, I'm a perfectionist. I realize that a car of this age isn't perfect, and I may have some work to do...but how much?

The car is to be delivered sometime this week. The hangup is the wheels and tires. The aftermarket ones were so ugly, I requested that the stock ones be refinished and new tires be mounted. It's the waiting. The waiting is making my mind wonder.

Can you shed some light on what to expect? Share your experiences.

I would suggest you get to know your vehicle prior to your experiencing that 8,000 RPM sound behind your seat, and that you learn more about your car prior to hitting that perfect apex and slithering around any corners.

Other than that, you'll be fine and so will your car. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Often the owners manuals get "misplaced" after changing hands,that said you must read it.We all asume you bought the car with your eyes open so have fun,don't hyperventilate ect.

ahha sorry, I know the pain, I waited 2 weeks to get mine of the lot due financing such old car ... ended up paying cash hahah in the mean time, go so SOS, order some Coilovers and 25mm wheel adapters, IMO that is a MUST to make the NSX truly shine ..... :D ....

Oscar

wow, so im not the only one out there lol. I too am a perfectionist that has been waiting almost 3 weeks! Long story short I saw the car 3 weeks ago, drove it, had it inspected and closed the deal 2 weeks ago, but had to wait for my current car to get back by a lemon law. That day is wednesday....in 2 days. Then I get the check friday or sat and buy the car monday. I know how bad you have it. After ppls here brought up sos i have been on there like 2x a week at least and am already looking at dali racing for test pipes. Anxiety kicks in as you watch youtube for all the videos and what not. I too worry about the car. It was inspected and like i posted up in another thread, the steering wheel vibrates more than i think it should but the tech said all was good, so i think im just paranoid also. It wont be all that bad cause come on, it is a honda :) The days take forever to end so next week will come.

Last edited:
Just think it could be worse. I bought my Ferrari and had it delivered to my house in Florida. Then I didn't make it to Florida for FOUR MONTHS!!!

I felt the same way when I bought mine in Houston Tx and proceded to drive it in one day to Nashville TN to Barney, the barn man - great mechanic - one of the best in the country. He had the car for almost a month. Waiting on parts and I was off on vacation and back a week before I could get it. Man it seemed like forever and the anticipation was a killer. I went thru the same feelings about my 91 and all the work that was being done - like the clutch- wonder what it will feel like??? ETC.

Well when I finally got it I drove it home from Nashville to Atlanta and Barney said it'll take the clutch about a week to settle in. Well as I waited it felt a little funny with a bit of shuddering but as he said it finally is going away. Just feels like a nice clutch. Funny about those double clutches having to seat properly.

You feel like that for a while and then it sinks in - it's here and it's mine and now DRIVE IT! Don't let it sit as a garrage queen - what a waist. Don't worry about miles cause if it's maintained properly miles don't matter. Of course learn how to get in and out without rubbing the side bolster and that's a trick. Be very careful with that as that's how they wear and they will wear if you are not careful. Read the tech manual on how to operate it. Change all the fluids - I won't go into anymore cause I don't know what the maintenance history is.

It's a great car - you'll be fine - it'll be fine. Have fun!

Thanks guys. Most recent update is that the tires are ordered and the wheels are refinished. The dealership is also changing the fluids. The timing belt was done 6/2003 so I won't worry about it till next year.

I can promise you she won't be a garage queen as it's going to be my daily driver. That was part of my worry, but I think I'm over the reliability part. I have gotten a new credit card that I am going to keep solely for "emergencies." :)

Since it only has 29,000 miles, it's going to be difficult to see all the mileage rack up, but what the heck you only live twice (before you have an NSX and after)

Just think it could be worse. I bought my Ferrari and had it delivered to my house in Florida. Then I didn't make it to Florida for FOUR MONTHS!!!

If that happened to me I would be so scared that I just got ripped off (whatever you paid for it). I thought waiting for 2 weeks was bad man was I wrong. My car could of gotten here in a week but due to trouble finding somebody to ship it from FL TO PA it took an extra week. One piece of advice I will give is that if you live in a area with low power lines or small roads and bridges you might have to meet the shipper somewhere near by also give the shipping company a call everyday so you can get an idea when he might show up so your ready and if needed you have somebody there at your home to give you a ride to the shippers truck to pick up your NSX. Good luck

Last edited:
Back