• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Differences between SoS 4700K and 7000K HID Kit?

I'm thinking of picking up a HID kit from SoS and am deciding between the two choices now available: the 4700K and 7000K kits. I understand that the 4700K bulbs are more white, while the 7000K have a bluish-white tint given the higher temperatures.

Curious to know if there are other differences, and also to hear people's experiences as they were deciding between the two kits, including what made them opt for one versus the other. Some of the posts in the archives mention the 7000K bulbs have a shorter life, but this has been disputed.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated (there are good examples in the archive as well, but always looking for more).

Finally, don't want this to deteriorate (if you don't mind me using that word) into a SoS-versus-other-manufacturers thread, as I've already made up my mind to buy a SoS kit. Therefore, really looking for input from currrent SoS HID kit owners.

Chris, would appreciate your views too.

Regards.

I can't help you specifically with the SoS kit, but 7000k IMO is too blue/purple. 4100k is closest to white light as far as I understand - I've seen both 4100k and 6800k kits before, and the 4100k is so bright - better for actual light output. The 6800k kit was very purpley blue.. still brighter than OEM Halogen, but not as good as 4100k.

Hoping this may help... basically, if I was concerned about actual light output, I'd go lower (4100k), and if I wanted more 'showy appearance' (rice ;)) I'd go 6000k + :cool:

Cheers

Appreciate the input Cambo. I'm currently leaning towards the 4700K set.

Let me broaden the question: for those that have bought a 7000K (or close to it) kit -- either from SoS or another manufacturer -- was there a particular reason other than the bluish-white tint that led you to get it, over a lower K lamp.

EDIT: I was also waiting to hear the answer to Eric's question about the temperature of the factory HID lights. Thanks to Chris' response, I am now aware that they are around 4100K, which is part of the reason I am leaning towards the lower K SoS kit.

Regards.

Cambo,
I got the 6000k HID kit for my MDX from XenonDepot, the color is white but a little bit purple/blue from an angle just like an OEM HID. They are very bright, I am very satisfied with the Xenon Depot customer service since they are very prompt to answer any question. I received my Kit in 1 day for only $20 (their regular shipping cost) via DHL express :)

I haven't received any e-mail reply from SOS since 2 months ago about purchasing HID from them for my NSX :(

I'm just waiting for another ClubRSX group buy deal before I go ahead and order ;)

A few other guys have ordered here in Aus, and found their service to be exceptional also. Good to hear good reports!

I installed the SoS 7000k HID kit a few days ago. I'll take some pics and post them soon. I think the only problem with headlight pics is that they don't accurately show the true output. Maybe the pics will come out best if I take them at dusk?

All I can say is that the difference between stock vs. 7000k HIDs is "night and day". :D

Jim said:
...I'll take some pics and post them soon...

That would be much appreciated. I think dusk is probably the right time to take them.

Did you install them yourself Jim? And did you look at the 4700K lamps when making a decision?

Regards.

Thanks for your interest. First of all, here's some info on our kit, and a little bit of history.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19206

Kelvin (color temperature) ratings given by manufactures should be considered with a grain of salt. The actual brightness and contrast created by the output of the bulbs varies quite a bit between manufactures, and is largely affected by the focal design of the projector (for NSX) or reflector design of the headlights. That being said, the NSX projector is a very efficient design. It is an undisputed fact that the human eye perceives light nearer to 4700K better. However, compared to other brands I have seen, the actual perceived brightness and contrast between the two options is hardly noticeable. The large difference between the two is the perceived color that the headlights look like at night as well as the color of the road and objects illuminated in front of the car.

INSX - we have not received any e-mail from you since your discussion of GruppeM exhausts several months ago. If you call us on our toll-free number, or provide a telephone number, I'd be happy to give you a jingle to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Thanks for the update Chris. So then it seems the only difference is one of the perceived color. Based on your email I gather that differences in longevity, brightness, contrast and ability to illuminate are really non-existent between the two K options offered.

I'll wait to see the pictures that Jim posts, and will make my decision then (no pressure Jim :D).

Regards.

Jim -- Thank you for the pictures! I noticed the output looks unusually green, is this just how the picture came out?

Mike -- The 4700K and 7000K bulbs are clear. Please see below.

brackets_bulbs.jpg

Chris@SoS said:
Jim -- Thank you for the pictures! I noticed the output looks unusually green, is this just how the picture came out?

Yes, you're right. My pics didn't truly capture the color. I'll try to take some more pics soon. It's difficult to produce good pics that show the true output.

Just wanted to say that the SoS HIDs are awesome!

Attachments

• sos hid3.jpg
    sos hid3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 420
Can someone (Chris?) please send me the updated PDF Install file for the latest SoS HID Kit. Chris sent me the original install file but I'd like to take a look at the new one...

Please?

Thanks in advance!

conrad at punkass dot com

I have SOS's 7000k HID kit, and it looks amazing when I'm outside of the car - however, I have to admit that it's like I don't have my headlights on while I'm driving. I just discovered this one month after install that when my car is alone, in a tunnel, and I turn on my lights, it's like I don't have my lights on at all. I never noticed it before because everyone else's lights illuminate the road.

So, I still love how the headlights look, but for brighter beams, you should probably go with the 4700k...

Anyone else experience this?

Here is a comparison 2002 S2000 on the left with 1992 NSX on the right. Using 8000K from a local vendor. blueish /purple hues from different angles but do get alot of looks and compliments.

fc8c7742.jpg

NSXaholic

Since you asked me to post my findings I have included the like to my post regarding the install of the SoS HID-kit.
Please notice that I have a H1-equiped car so the install is a little bit different.
So far I'm quite happy with the results. The install is totally invisible unless you now exactly where to look. The light on the road is much brighter. Do remember that the pattern will stay the same as the reflector doesn't change. However, also remember that your standard headlights are not designed to throw the light as far out as possible, keeping in mind that you don't want to blind the oncoming traffic. For that, you still have the high-beam which is already too blinding even with the usual Halogen-bulbs.
The look from the front of the car with the HID-bulbs is very very very bright.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20842

Chris@SoS said:

Mike -- The 4700K and 7000K bulbs are clear. Please see below.

brackets_bulbs.jpg

Chris,

How come my hid kit I bought from you came with blue tinted bulbs? Does that mean my bulbs are inferior? j/k:D It was the 1st generation hid kit you offered. Also can I upgrade the bulbs to the clear ones?

Back