• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: Interior reupholstering part 1 - The gluing

thank you very much, I already tried to pull with great force but I'm afraid to break the clips (plastic?), the panel deforms under stress but the piece remains attached to the dashboard (I already tried several times), can you tell me what has the clips look like and how they fit together???:confused:

thank you very much, I already tried to pull with great force but I'm afraid to break the clips (plastic?), the panel deforms under stress but the piece remains attached to the dashboard (I already tried several times), can you tell me what has the clips look like and how they fit together???:confused:

I am fortunate enough (or unfortunate) that someone had already removed the pieces once before, with great violence so a few of my plastic clips are snapped, some parts just fell out into my hands, one part came of in several pieces.

See those two metallic clips? Pull the kneebolster straight out and maybe a little upwards. Pulling it down will snap the plastic clips that holds it in the bottom part (mine are gone). Atleast that is what I think you have to do. Can't remember exactly how I did.

Good luck!

//Johan

Thank you very much for your help and for pics, congratulations on your good work:smile:

Weekly update
Time for some eyecandy :biggrin:

Well I've finished almost everything. I'm still working with the dash, and I've got the carpets and the seats left. I'll skip the seats for this season beacuse simply, I don't have the time. So basically I'm getting really close at finishing this project. On to the pics,

Started with the dash:

Making mock-ups for the correct sizing of the fabric:

A few hours later:

I ran out of my foam so I couldn't get it glued but the sewing is done.

Remember I said that I had some tricks up my sleeve for the steering wheel? Here is trick no 1.
I used Photoshop and printed the HONDA logo onto a piece of glossy photopaper, then using a really really sharp and small knife I cut the letters out. I spray painted it using a matte white hobby color. I tried it out on a piece of fabric, just to try the idea:

It worked! Looking closely one can se the imperfections so I adapted the technique a little. I used some water based paper glue "on a stick" and glued the frame onto the airbag unit, which I also covered in masking tape:

Painted:

Working carefully to scrape off excess paint in the edges of the letter:

And the result!

It turned out excellent! I'm really satisfied with this, turned out exactly as I had imagined it. Here installed:

With the other stuff:

My other stuff, all done.

I'm getting more foam for next weekend and probably get the dash done :smile:I'm also going to order a new evaporator and filter, and a new main relay and some audio components. Might aswell get all things done while having the interior out.

//Johan

This thread never ceases to make me feel like a huge slacker for not re-upholstering my driver's seat (tear in the bolster). :redface:

really great work!

This thread never ceases to make me feel like a huge slacker for not re-upholstering my driver's seat (tear in the bolster). :redface:

really great work!

Well, wat are you witing for then? Don't be a slacker, be a doer :wink: Thanks.

Weekly update
Ok people, I got something some of you have been waiting for now! Let's take a look.

First I decided to do the rear upper panels in black instead of red, it will flow better when installed:

Then started the wrapping process of the dash. The following component was not difficult but took a good few hours stretching the fabric in the bends, in order to get it to fit without creases:

Then onto the dash itself. Covering in foam:

Glued up and waiting to dry:

A good trick to get it to attach nicely, use a scraper:

Glued but not trimmed:

Trimmed!

With the other component attached:

Nice and furry (and a little dirty):

Then I only had the carpets left. I was debating whether or not I would buy a complete new set, or try to make mo own. Since I had quite a lot of black fabric left, I decided to try to make my own. Started with the smaller side carpets:

Done:

I only have the other carpets left, then I'm done! Will get them done this weekend. Before I start to reassemble everything, I need to do some other work. I'm going to install a completely new audio system, replace the evaporator, do Hugos window regulator upgrade and auto-up mod. I suspect this will take some time. I'll update this thread along the way.

Oh, almost forgot! Transported all the stuff to my garage and also fitted the handbrake skin, fits almost like a glove!

And here's some carbon fibre pr0n:

Man that's sexy! Can't wait to start massaging this onto my center console and other stuff! :biggrin:

//Johan

You are crazy! Brilliant, resourceful, clever, talented and gifted but totally crazy! From one who could never take on such a project. Wish I was taking a trip to Sweden soon. I’d love to see the finished product.

Yes, amazing work, it is hoped that the materials and especially the color will not be damaged by UV radiation, especially the dashboard, the sun can destroy a beautiful color in a short time, congratulations on your talent:smile:

You are crazy! Brilliant, resourceful, clever, talented and gifted but totally crazy! From one who could never take on such a project. Wish I was taking a trip to Sweden soon. I’d love to see the finished product.

Thank you! Well, crazy is really the most important part when doing something like this :biggrin:

Yes, amazing work, it is hoped that the materials and especially the color will not be damaged by UV radiation, especially the dashboard, the sun can destroy a beautiful color in a short time, congratulations on your talent:smile:

Yes, this is a problem. I have a few ideas that may prolong the "life" of the fabric. I'll get to that soon.

Small weekly update
Well, I'm finished with the sewing. I made something that might work as carpets, I'll have to check fitment when installing. Basically, I cut up the original carpets into pieces which I used as reference for my fabric. I cut my fabric out and sewed it together. I'll post photos after the install. Here is one of the original carpet:

What am I doing know? Well, I have about 1000 service stuff I need to do to the car, a new audio system and a new evap for the AC. Then there's also the CF wrapping :wink:

I will update this thread when I get to the point of reinstalling the interior, which hopefully will be done before the end of this month :tongue:

//Johan

Amazing work!!

Where did you source your thin foam??

Thank you! :biggrin:

I got it at a home supply store that sells all kind of stuff, called "Rusta". It was a very cheap product if I remember correctly. The expensive sorts were too thick. It is supposed to go below laminate flooring su I suppose you could get it at a store that sells that.

Emma got all excited about this comment and she wants to show you guys how she really looks *with-make-up-and-"proper"-clothing* :tongue:

I love my girl :biggrin:

Uff-da...

Well it's about god damn time to update this thread!

Been working my ass off the since the last post with A LOT of NSX related stuff. I won't go into the details of it, let's just say I'm picking up on a ton of reliability related maintenance and CF skinning stuff.

While waiting for parts/tools I started reinstalling the interior. First off was the carpets. I quickly disgarded my own designs as the fitment was bad due to them not being molded so I threw away an order for a molded carpet kit sold here by TFEnt. I picked the black NSX-R kit. This carpet kit ended up being more expensive alone than the rest of the interior. They are not a bolt-on product as one would expect due to the price, they are uncut. You have to do all the trimming and cut outs yourself which is a couple of hours of work. But the quality is excellent and the mold has a good fitment.

Emma decided to "help" out with the car. Well actually a good use of the old carpets anyway:

Let's have a look:

Drivers side, uncut:

Dash carpet to the left, original on right:

Close up:

Dash carpets trimmed and installed:

About 10 hours later:

Some CF pr0n (instrument panel "roof" not polished at the time of photo):

The defroster grill was a pain to finish! But in the end, worth every second.

Headliner, A- and B-pillars:

Close up:

Some more details coming in:

More. The steering wheel is not installed, just hanged it there to see how it will look:

Compare to the old:

Close-up:

With closed door:

Front view:

At the time of writing, both seats are properly installed. Yet to finish is the steering wheel, center console and door panels + some smaller details. And one more ton of service/maintenance.

Now seeing how it will look, I must say that I am pretty satisfied with the outcome! The design is as I imagined it minus som CF details that I don't have time for. The quality is "DIY first timer" which is what to be expected. It's my first interior makeover project and I'm not a professional but overall I'm happy with the results so far!

More to come when finished.

//Johan

personally, I'd ditch the steering wheel.

your Girl is Gorgeous, I mean your NSX is Gorgeous.:smile:

you have put some time and money into this car, you have passion
and an true love for the NSX

I am happy with your project.

More pics Bro.

the dash, carpet, and some of the cf stuffs looks killer.

Thanks! Hopefully though I won't kill anyone with it. Hopefully.

personally, I'd ditch the steering wheel.

Then how am I supposed to turn the wheels?? :wink:

A for effort?

your Girl is Gorgeous, I mean your NSX is Gorgeous.:smile:

you have put some time and money into this car, you have passion
and an true love for the NSX

I am happy with your project.

More pics Bro.

Thanks guys! The most money lies in the CF and carpets. Say about 1k in that and maximum 1k more in fabrics, glue and tools so the "fortune" lies in the exhausting work effort. I started on Christmas day and I'm not done yet. I estimate there has been more than 500 working hours invested, probably more, but remember that's not only for the interior. But then again, I work slowly :tongue:

One thing that doesn't compute is the difference in color between red and red. The fabric and the paint doesn't look good together, but I intend to correct that eventually. The car will get a new paint.

More pics coming soon.

Last edited:
I too wish I could have a chance to see this wonderful artwork in person. Amazing dedication to detail!

Amazing work, you have spent an insane amount of time. I have seen a full alcantara interior in person and it makes the interior look much richer. My only 2 cents are the steering wheel, shift knob, shifter boot and brake handle should be a different material versus the dash. It almost makes the interior look cheaper with those pieces rapped in the same material. I would have gone with a black leather wrap or stock. Just my unasked for opinion. Keep up the good work.

Looks good. I love the Rottweiler. I have one as well and they are the best dogs you could ever own. Like some others have said, I would change the shift boot, knob, and brake handle to a contrasting color like black and maybe a different material. I would also ditch the steering wheel for an aftermarket with quick release. Maybe something that has some CF on it to compliment the other CF pieces. The painted HONDA just sort of makes that part look cheap unlike the other parts of the interior. Overall, you've done an outstanding job and I couldn't imagine spending that much time on a project. I'm sure you've learned so much from doing it and that knowledge is probably worth more than you would have spent to pay someone else to do the work.

I too wish I could have a chance to see this wonderful artwork in person. Amazing dedication to detail!

Thanks! You are welcome to pay a visit and have a look :smile:

Amazing work, you have spent an insane amount of time. I have seen a full alcantara interior in person and it makes the interior look much richer. My only 2 cents are the steering wheel, shift knob, shifter boot and brake handle should be a different material versus the dash. It almost makes the interior look cheaper with those pieces rapped in the same material. I would have gone with a black leather wrap or stock. Just my unasked for opinion. Keep up the good work.

Stock was never an option due to the bad condition of it.

Looks good. I love the Rottweiler. I have one as well and they are the best dogs you could ever own. Like some others have said, I would change the shift boot, knob, and brake handle to a contrasting color like black and maybe a different material. I would also ditch the steering wheel for an aftermarket with quick release. Maybe something that has some CF on it to compliment the other CF pieces. The painted HONDA just sort of makes that part look cheap unlike the other parts of the interior. Overall, you've done an outstanding job and I couldn't imagine spending that much time on a project. I'm sure you've learned so much from doing it and that knowledge is probably worth more than you would have spent to pay someone else to do the work.

Everybody, thanks for the compliments and I also appreciate the critizism. What doesn't show on the pics is the center console which is about to be wrapped in black CF. My design idea is that the red knob/E-brake will get a nice contrast to the black CF background. I think you will agree when I get pics up.

CF parts for the steering wheel are in the final stages of last polish/install. The horn buttons and the cruise control buttons are red CF. My first idea with the steering wheel was to do it partially in black CF but I don't like the idea of the potential friction problem that arise. Don't wan't do loose control of the car because of sweaty hands :tongue:

Painted logo was not my first choice. I wanted real polished metal letters but for safety reasons I had to ditch that idea. Having metal or plastic letters flying around like projectiles if the SRS unit deploys is not something I would like to experience.

And it has been a journey. As you say, I've learned a lot of things and have gotten a better understanding of the engineering behind the NSX.

//Johan

Back