• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do I have the oldest Timing Belt??

That sounds a bit extreme.

I would say one can get a pretty good impression from a visual inspection, esp if there is damage. A SHORE Durometer Test and Tensile test would indicate the condition of the rubber, but missing or damaged teeth, for example, would be seen visually.

Miner

yesnod.gif

I guess I just never understand why people push the envelope NOT fixing a $2000 problem when it can create a $20,000 issue. :confused::confused:

I would not be too concerned about Honda vs. Acura,

But I would be concerned about the price. It is way too low.

Here is the minimum parts list and pricing(list) for PARTS ONLY:

14400-PR7-A01 1 Timing Belt 179.36
91318-PY3-000 1 Oil Pedestal Gasket "8" 9.95
12030-PR7-010 2 VC Gasket Set 112.92
90471-580-000 2 Crush Washer 8mm 2.88
19200-PR7-305 1 Water Pump/Timing Cover Set 281.36
90401-634-000 1 Timing Bolt Cover Seal 2.10
91302-GE0-000 1 O-Ring, Dip Stick 2.02
14510-PR7-A01 1 Belt Tensioner Pulley 125.05
15400-PL2-315 1 Oil Filter 13.28
Fluids: Coolant/Oil 85.00

Total 813.92

Oh, Alt and A/C drive belts add: $37

So what are they leaving out, and does the pricing include labor? Even with a good discount, something is not right with their pricing. There is no way the labor is $25:).

So I guess I would be concerned about their experience level with doing this job.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, you were spot on with the way-too-low price. In subsequent conversations, after they talked to an Acura dealer in their chain, they admitted the error, are doing ALL of the above, including valve adjustments, for just under $1800. I appreciate your help and that of everyone out there on Prime. From week-to-week, I vacillate on selling it (takes up garage space, speed limit here is 35/45, etc.) - now leaning away from it.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

"""Adjust Valves - 114.00"""

Is that all it takes? Isn't the labor rate around 90-100/hour at Langhorne, so just one hour to adjust the valves?

I have seen at least 12 honda 4 cyl belt failures . The early twin cam preludes are the only ones ive seen fail under 100 k miles ( not including the ones where the tensioners give up) The others seem to clear 100k o.k. no matter how old . Have never seen a v6 fail exept the poor tech who did nsx maint belt and the cover gasket flopped into the belt and bent the motor. Surely someone out there has seen one that died of natural causes! p.s the snapped/ stripped 4cyl belts looked fine on the rest of the belt

Holy 5 1/2-year thread revival Batman!

That sounds a bit extreme.

I would say one can get a pretty good impression from a visual inspection, esp if there is damage. A SHORE Durometer Test and Tensile test would indicate the condition of the rubber, but missing or damaged teeth, for example, would be seen visually.

Miner

I would absolutely not rely on a visual inspection to determine the remaining life on a TB. Timing belts are elastomeric devices--kind of like a heater or radiator hose only much more critical and highly stressed. The main load-carrying fibers are invisible and you just can't tell what shape the belt is in without a destructive test which, of course, can't be performed while the belt is on the pulley. So just replace it.

ChopsJazz said:
The timing belt should be changed after nine years IIRC, regardless of mileage!

7 years for all 97+, 6 years for all 91-96 according to the manual.

And, as a side note, I'm sure there are dozens of ultra-low mileage 1991 NSXs with original TBs and will be for some time.

Based on my interpretation of the FAQ NSX timing belts seem to be more sensitive to time than to mileage generally speaking. To those of you with 10+ year old TBs please change them. It's time. For those of you with 15+ year old TBs you should not be surprised if a piston flies right through your valvetrain tomorrow.

Last edited:
I would not be too concerned about Honda vs. Acura,

But I would be concerned about the price. It is way too low.

Here is the minimum parts list and pricing(list) for PARTS ONLY:

14400-PR7-A01 1 Timing Belt 179.36
91318-PY3-000 1 Oil Pedestal Gasket "8" 9.95
12030-PR7-010 2 VC Gasket Set 112.92
90471-580-000 2 Crush Washer 8mm 2.88
19200-PR7-305 1 Water Pump/Timing Cover Set 281.36
90401-634-000 1 Timing Bolt Cover Seal 2.10
91302-GE0-000 1 O-Ring, Dip Stick 2.02
14510-PR7-A01 1 Belt Tensioner Pulley 125.05
15400-PL2-315 1 Oil Filter 13.28
Fluids: Coolant/Oil 85.00

Total 813.92

Oh, Alt and A/C drive belts add: $37

So what are they leaving out, and does the pricing include labor? Even with a good discount, something is not right with their pricing. There is no way the labor is $25:).

So I guess I would be concerned about their experience level with doing this job.

HTH,
LarryB

Is it recommended to replace our thermostat as well?

Thanks for the list Larry.

You CAN NOT TELL SQUAT from a visible inspection!!!!!!!!!

+1

It's also been determined that the crankshaft pulley should be replaced along with the timing belt. It's also a good idea to replace all the smaller coolant hoses down there that are usually ignored.

I acquired Charlotte, my '93 NSX in late 2003 with 70K miles on the clock. The timing belt was replaced at 80K miles and "looked" fine. 3 years and 100,000 miles later the belt was once again replaced (along with water pump, pulley and hoses) and this time it had stretched to the point where it had skipped a tooth. Time will age the belt, usage will stretch the belt. A combination of the two will make it look like Phyllis Diller. Charlotte now has 230,000 miles plus and if I maintain my current driving habits will need a new belt in about 18 months when she hits 280,000.

+1

It's also been determined that the crankshaft pulley should be replaced along with the timing belt. It's also a good idea to replace all the smaller coolant hoses down there that are usually ignored.

I acquired Charlotte, my '93 NSX in late 2003 with 70K miles on the clock. The timing belt was replaced at 80K miles and "looked" fine. 3 years and 100,000 miles later the belt was once again replaced (along with water pump, pulley and hoses) and this time it had stretched to the point where it had skipped a tooth. Time will age the belt, usage will stretch the belt. A combination of the two will make it look like Phyllis Diller. Charlotte now has 230,000 miles plus and if I maintain my current driving habits will need a new belt in about 18 months when she hits 280,000.

Hugh ain't wrong.

The cause(s) of crankshaft pulley--a.k.a. harmonic balancer--failure aren't exactly clear (mileage/age/hard driving/all of the preceeding; at least I've not yet heard a definitive theory) but it does appear to happen occasionally among older NSXs with above average mileage.

On newer or low mileage NSXs the crankshaft pulley is very unlikely to be close to failure but the major service is a great opportunity to at least install Dave's pulley shield to prevent any major damage if and when the pulley fails. On an older or high-mileage NSX I'd both install the shield and replace the pulley.

Hugh ain't wrong.

The cause(s) of crankshaft pulley--a.k.a. harmonic balancer--failure aren't exactly clear

The most likely reason is simply the rubber inside the pulley getting brittle with age, breaking apart then being shot out of the pulley like bullets from a gatling gun. :)

Ain't insomnia just great!

To all that have taken the time to reply, THANK YOU !!!
My son (who is down for the races) just explained how I did my post and renewed a THREAD, as I attached to an old post, like I said, a computer genius I am not BUT it was great of you folks to come to my rescue and give me some much needed advice. I will replace the belt, water pump, hoses, and whatever else needs to be done as I see 250,000 miles is not out of the question with an NSX (when properly maintained) , Again thank you all and I will try and post the correct way on my next one, thanks, John Bossolt
Ormond Beach, Fl.

Picking up my '94 tomorrow with new TB et al. After 15 years, it surely needed one. Thanx to all for all the advice. cost: almost $2k on the nose.

To all that have taken the time to reply, THANK YOU !!!
My son (who is down for the races) just explained how I did my post and renewed a THREAD, as I attached to an old post, like I said, a computer genius I am not BUT it was great of you folks to come to my rescue and give me some much needed advice. I will replace the belt, water pump, hoses, and whatever else needs to be done as I see 250,000 miles is not out of the question with an NSX (when properly maintained) , Again thank you all and I will try and post the correct way on my next one, thanks, John Bossolt
Ormond Beach, Fl.

If you're referring to posting on an older thread you did nothing wrong--quite the opposite in fact. If only others could be as thorough and recognize that 99.99% of all topics have probably been discussed before and that the search feature is your friend.

I think you'll also find that NSX Prime is one of the best car forums on the planet and almost everyone here goes the extra mile to be thorough and accurate.

And I would be very surprised indeed if a well-maintained NSX didn't make it to 250,000 miles. There are many NSXs that have exceeded that and much more.

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone offer a timing "chain" conversion kit for the NSX? I have never liked the idea of a timing "belt". I know they quell vibration and I'm sure they have other assorted benefits, but timing chains rarely break and last the lifetime of the car. Chains also let you know when they are about to give up the ghost by producing an audible rattle. Does anyone know if a chain conversion has been done?

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone offer a timing "chain" conversion kit for the NSX?

There's no such thing as a dumb question if you don't have the answer. Timing belts are not only stronger than timing chains, they are also much more reliable since hundreds of moving parts are eliminated from the equation.

Hey guys came across the thread and thought I would chime in. I did my tbelt service today and from what u could see this was the original timing belt. My car is a 1991 with 59k. It still had the no weep hole timing cover and original honda altenator belt. I'm assuming I have the oldest belt lol. Belt looked great visually. There were some very minor signs or wear.

The NSX timing belt is designed to be rather kind to the car. In most cases it will have stretched to the point of throwing off your timing as opposed to a catastrophic failure when it reaches the end of its service life. Although one can never rule out the latter and it's always a very very good idea to follow the recommended factory service intervals.

I think these younger people are getting their dream car and letting the most important part of service out for pure luck/chance is insane

" I got my dream car yipppee yohooooo..... oh no timing belt broke I can still look at it in my garage "

and when you have the engine out it takes like less than 10 mintues to install the timing belt and water pump

play with fire you will one day get burned.

but you cant say that you were never told.

Hey guys came across the thread and thought I would chime in. I did my tbelt service today and from what u could see this was the original timing belt. My car is a 1991 with 59k. It still had the no weep hole timing cover and original honda altenator belt. I'm assuming I have the oldest belt lol. Belt looked great visually. There were some very minor signs or wear.

I have a '92 and did mine in July, 2010 @78.5k. No visible wear.

Back