• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DO NOT sell an NSX to Geoffery Lam!!!!

To the NSX Community:

OK, I am going to try to make this as short as possible..even though it is an issue that has consumed my life for over a month now. It was hard enough for me to come to the decision that I need to sell my NSX that as many of you know I poured my whole heart and life savings in to over the years I worked at ScienceofSpeed..but what has happened to me with the buyer who "bought" my car is a nightmare that I would have never imagined. I would like to think of myself as a respected part of the NSX community, so please know that I am being 110% honest with all of what I am saying here.

So I decided to put my car on EBAY (bad idea) to try and reach the maximum amount of potential buyers. It was a 10 day auction, and I had spent a lot of time putting together all of the information, history, details, pictures, etc. so that people would have little questions about the car..even doing this I received TONS of interest and basically had a full time job writing emails full of information about the car. The most important thing to me was not what the car sold for but WHO it sold to..I have a love for this car that is unmatched and I wanted a new home where the car was loved and appreciated. The winning bidder ended up being one of the people I had exchanged a lot of information with, which I liked the fact that he had done his homework and knew the ins and outs of the car. From professional industry references available to every detail explained I had done everything I could to provide as much info as possible to inform any buyer. All of my hard work as well as my dedication to honesty and passion regarding NSXs and my car especially did no good to help me avoid getting jerked around as I had never before in my life.

The only way I can keep this short is to do a brief timeline of events summarizing the months worth of headaches I had since the end of the auction when my car sold...here it is:

9/13 Buyer won my car on Ebay Auction,I thought he was a serious buyer,we had exchanged many emails before Auction close.
9/14 Buyer emailed me to start making arrangements for sale completion,I emailed back & also tried to call to finalize deposit,& arrangements for car his travel here to view and pick up or transport car. Buy told me he was coming to get car within a few days & he would make deposit asap before Ebay deadlines.I gave him my Paypal info for the NONREFUNDABLE deposit(as stated in auction),& told him to make deposit ASAP so I could hold the car for him.
9/16 after trying to get a response from buyer since 9/14 by email and phone I emailed him to say he needs to make the deposit to hold the car ASAP or I was going to sell to another buyer,he then finally responded & made $1000 Paypal Deposit.
9/17-9/18 Buyer & I emailed & spoke over the phone trying to work out pickup arrangements,then buyer said he could not pick up the car until Oct 3rd or later,which is passed the dealine in Ebay auction terms, but I told him I would hold it for him and still honor his deposit..I am very trusting, and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.
9/18-9/19 Buyer emailed me saying he had second thoughts & was backing out of the sale,so I filed an unpaid Item complaint with Ebay. This was a major setback to me, but hey if he couldnt do it he couldnt do it..so I was going to contact the other interested parties. I would have refunded his deposit (even though contractually I didnt need to) if he would have backed out in the first few days, but I felt he was irresponsible and should have let me know earlier without waiting almost a week to back out.
9/23-9/24 Buyer responded to Ebay unpaid item resolution stating he still wanted the car,& he emailed me saying he decided he wanted the car again & apologized for all the mess.We spoke by phone and made tenative arrangements for car pick up & sale completion.
9/25 Buyer emailed saying he would come pick up car & finalize plans ASAP,& he would contact me with flight info, etc. I told him that I would still honor his deposit, but I was leery of dealing with him after he had already backed out once, he assured me over and over that he was coming to get the car within days..so I waited for the flight confirmation.
9/26-9/27 I had been trying to contact buyer by email and phone to finalize transaction details with no response. He never gave me flight info as promised.
9/28 Buyer emailed me informing me he was on vacation and could not correspond with me until he was back because his girlfriend would not allow it,he was still planning on coming to get car around Oct 4 but still gave me no exact date.THIS WAS THE LAST I EVER HEARD FROM BUYER
9/28-10/10 Tried daily to contact buyer by email & phone DAILY with no response,spoke to his girlfriend 3 times,still no response from buyer. By this time I was figuring buyer was not interested anymore, but he couldnt call me or email me to tell me that weeks before? Instead he let me hold the car for him all that time when I could have been dealing with other buyers.
10/11 Got a email from Paypal stating buyer had done a chargeback through his CC company stating "Unauthorized use of Card" which is obviously him trying to scam his CC card to make them think someone was fraudulently using the card.

So I know I made some mistakes in the transaction, but none that were deceitful or wrong...In short I was WAY too trusting and patient with this buyer and should never have allowed myself to be strung along and lied to for close to a month. Bottom line is I am a honest person with good intentions and there are 100s of people in the NSX community that can vouch for that, and now I have had to go through all this which has made me a different person..especially when it comes to trusting potential buyers of my car. I wanted to take the time to put this out there to protect any potential sellers out there in the NSX community from having there time wasted as mine has been, I respect the community and as I know it isnt a perfect world I would like for things like this to not happen to anyone.

It is heartbreaking for me to depart with the car that I spent the last 6 years building, especially when the plan was to NEVER have to part from it..But unfortunately the same decisions that allowed me to build the car are the same reason why I have to sell the car..It is the responsible thing for me to do and it has taken me literally months to bring myself to make the decision and do it.

I have 50+ email correspondences that show first hand what I had to go through, and if anyone would like to know more please just contact me. I can also post a link to the ebay auction if anyone is interested. I am not trying to bash anyone, I just truly do not want anyone else to have to go through what I did so I wanted to get the word out..And honestly I would have just let the whole situation probably fade away, but when I found out this guy was trying to get his nonrefundable deposit back after jerking me around for a whole month by lying to the credit card company about the use of the card I knew I could not let him get by with it. Further more even though I have all this saved documentation and have provided everything possible to Payal, Ebay, FBI internet dept, etc. chargebacks as BS when they are abused but a lot of times the person in "the right" gets the shaft. GEOFFERY LAM IS THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE BUYER I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH IN ALL MY 10+ YEARS OF WORKING IN THE AUTOMOTIVE AFTERMARKET INDUSTRY. DO NOT SELL YOUR NSX TO GEOFFERY LAM!!!!! YOU WIL BE SORRY! He is on Prime too, name: YoNSXoY..he says he is from MA, but lives in San Fran..I have no idea where he really lives or is really from.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this story, it is heartbreaking for me to write... please anyone with questions let me know.

Take care everyone and be careful who you trust!

-Seth
:frown:

I have dealt with him as well and he wanted my NSX then decided against it due to its age and mileage. I was kinda disappointed but thats life and got a newer better one.:smile:

He was a stand-up guy to us.

Back