• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do offensive comments deserve negative reputation?

Should offensive comments receive negative reputation?

• Yes - this is an appropriate use of the reputation system

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No - this is an abuse of the reputation system

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No opinion, don't care, who is buying the next round?

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There has been a lot of controversy lately over the reputation system and particularly over people being "dinged" over opinions and minor mistakes. Over in the off topic forum there is a comment which I find quite offensive. Before the reputation system I would have simply responded in the thread if I felt strongly about it but now I have the option of negatively impacting that person's reputation (his good name) while hiding behind the keyboard. Should I? Seems to be the method of choice for a number of people because they are taking advantage of it but what does the majority think? Is this an appropriate means of response? Is that what this forum is really supposed to be about?

We should feel free to express our opinions here on Prime but just because somebody has a different opinion doesn't mean you should ding them in their reputation points. However, if you feel offended by comments made by somebody I suppose you could ding them and leave them a comment. Perhaps they only meant it as a joke, but it will let them know that it did offend you. Just my 0.02.

I'm new here, but I think that if one feels offended by another's comments, that the offender be given a chance at redemption. If after attempts to clarify aren't successful, then possibly a mark against his/her reputation score would be appropriate. I think that this will also preserve the integrity of the reputation system.

lemansnsx said:
There has been a lot of controversy lately over the reputation system and particularly over people being "dinged" over opinions and minor mistakes. Over in the off topic forum there is a comment which I find quite offensive. Before the reputation system I would have simply responded in the thread if I felt strongly about it but now I have the option of negatively impacting that person's reputation (his good name) while hiding behind the keyboard. Should I? Seems to be the method of choice for a number of people because they are taking advantage of it but what does the majority think? Is this an appropriate means of response? Is that what this forum is really supposed to be about?

Everyone on a computer board is hiding behind a keyboard.

It is amazing that you guys are so obsessed by this trivial system. Who cares! :rolleyes:

It all comes down to whether it is really an offensive comment, or if you just don't agree with a person's point of view.

If someone throws out a racial slur, for example, (which I would think is rare on this forum), ding away.
If someone makes personal attacks, get medieval on them.

But, if you just don't agree with their opinion (like, for example, in a political or religious discussion, where fur gets rubbed the wrong way very easily), I strongly disagree with negative points.

nkb said:
It all comes down to whether it is really an offensive comment, or if you just don't agree with a person's point of view.

If someone throws out a racial slur, for example, (which I would think is rare on this forum), ding away.
If someone makes personal attacks, get medieval on them.

But, if you just don't agree with their opinion (like, for example, in a political or religious discussion, where fur gets rubbed the wrong way very easily), I strongly disagree with negative points.

Agree with the above comment, but the only way to catch/report/remove negative point that was given “incorrectly” meaning more work for moderator. Tons of people woill be sending PM/Email to moderator and nag about the negative point they got.

I agree we should keep the reputation point system, only to use it as an indicator to honor members that had contributed to the community, I think this is the trade off for having reputation system (assuming we keep it after the poll), that there will always be people out there that are abusing the system.

Unless we have a small committee (such as marketplace moderator) instead we have reputation moderator, to filter positive/negative point. This way we may be able to stop abusive/immature act displayed in reputation system.

I need a customize avatar :biggrin:

I'm new here, but I think that if one feels offended by another's comments, that the offender be given a chance at redemption. If after attempts to clarify aren't successful, then possibly a mark against his/her reputation score would be appropriate. I think that this will also preserve the integrity of the reputation system.

Mmm, refreshing and rational! I agree. :smile:

afterthought: if only everyone followed suit, eh!

Back