• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you prefer Popup or Fixed Headlights?

Do you prefer Popup or Fixed Headlights?

• Popup

Votes: 83 64.8%
  • Fixed

Votes: 45 35.2%

• Total voters
Have you noticed it's always the popup guys that start these threads? No need to justify your popups guys :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ask any 02+ up guy, whether it be OEM or 02+ convert... I have not heard of one yet who's regretted it.

I do like the look of the popups. It's a classic look but prefer the fixed by far for a few reasons. Lighter, more aero dynamic, the optics of the beam pattern and beam quality is FAR superior, and I like the look better if matched up with the rest of the 02+ conversion components like the side skirts and rear valance. By themselves.. the lights look horrible on a pre-facelifted car.

pops are cool if your a grandpa and hella old

I have had both at the same time and I still don't know.
I like the popup but then again the fixed are good.

but if I had to say it would be popup

pops are cool if your a grandpa and hella old

Guilty on both counts.

Actually, for me it sorta depends on the color. To me, all white (including the roof) looks better with fixed, most other colors look OK with popups.

I must admit that when I first saw the fixed when the cars were new I thought "ew", but then I saw a white one, and I thought "hmm, nice". They definitely grew on me, but I would never consider doing a conversion on my red '91.

You can say that again :D

To me, all white (including the roof) looks better with fixed, most other colors look OK with popups.

............,., but then I saw a white one, and I thought "hmm, nice". They definitely grew on me, but I would never consider doing a conversion on my red '91.

im its not just the 'lights' but the updated 'angrier bumper' style that vastly helps making the updated nsx look that much more modern.

same would apply to almost all civics/integras during the 90s in which the mid generation refreshes updated the front/rear bumpers in a similar way.

...............say what you want about updated this and that and grandpa...blah blah...all i know is i got an extra button on my dash that you fixed light guys don't and it raises and lowers my lights with a cool mechanical sound that kids love.

They both are nice and to each their own. The fixed definitely looks like a more modern car to me. I cannot think of any new sports car with pop ups. I see lot of owners posting about doing the 02+ conversion, but I cannot ever think of anyone posting that they were gong to convert their 02+ into a 01. Just saying.

...............say what you want about updated this and that and grandpa...blah blah...all i know is i got an extra button on my dash that you fixed light guys don't and it raises and lowers my lights with a cool mechanical sound that kids love.
Lol love this

I love CD changers too. They magically switch CDs all on its own lol

If you prefer fixed or popups, I think you're 100% correct! :)

I especially like the front fog/driving lights and how sleek the front looks with the headlights down.

You're singing my song. With the popups down, I think you notice the curves in the hood & fenders better. I vote for popups, and not so much because I own a '93 but for reasons I've strongly admired for over a decade now. I've always wondered whether anyone else recognized this or felt similarly. To me, the lights under the popups provide a fantastic design cue that's missing in Acuras after the late 90's and early 00's and are a Honda/Acura design cue that I've always admired very, very much. Anytime I see a late 80's / early-mid 90's Honda or Acura below out in the wild, my eyes gravitate to those horizontal light strips and I always see echos of an NSX in them... It also kind of warms my heart to see the family lineage in those strips, lol.

acura-nsx-1.jpg

800px-1st_Acura_Legend_coupe_--_02-17-2010.jpg

AcuraIntegra%28DA3%29.jpg

Acura_Legend_1.jpg

800px-1993-1995_Honda_Accord_VTi_sedan_01.jpg

800px-2nd_Acura_Integra.jpg

800px-1993-1997_Honda_Integra_GSi_coupe_%282011-04-28%29_01.jpg

I like the pop ups. Just like I said in a past thread about the same subject I feel it makes the car look sleeker. The problem is when the lights are up it looks a little weird.

Another vote for pop-ups. The reasons you don't see modern cars with pop-ups are:

a) technology, manufacturers now utilize compact headlamp housings negating the need for a large opening. When sealed beam headlamps were the sole option, pop-ups were needed to meet requirements for headlamp height for sports cars with low frontal profile

b) pedestrian safety, no sharp protrusions allowed per gov't regs

c) simplicity and weight savings (less expensive).

With pop-ups you can instantly change the look of your car with the turn of a switch and imitate an 8 series BMW or an M1 :rolleyes:. I don't hate fixies, just prefer the hidden lights.

^^^ this for sure. We've got two NSXs, our 1992 garage queen with the fixed and the evil 1992 with the 02 conversion. While I can appreciate the weight savings of the fixed, I just don't like the look. Honda could have done a much better job with the shape as far as I'm concerned. They seem to look a little "bulbous" to me for whatever reason. Love the popups on our Formula Red. :smile:

Raise your wonderful popups--to where they're actually FUNCTIONAL as the fixed and try to convince anyone they look better. Also, painting the fixed to match body color goes a long way to smooth aesthetics. jmho

'98 formula red
'05 silverstone

Last edited:
Contrary to what many have posted in this thread, I actually like how the car looks with the lights up. Based on many photos, it appears that others feel the same way. Why else would there be hundreds of shots of them on? I like how it looks from the driver's seat too. My first car was a used '88 Accord coupe with popups. There is something neat about them when they are down too. I guess I'm a grandpa!

Raise your wonderful popups--to where they're actually FUNCTIONAL as the fixed and try to convince anyone they look better.

I still feel that if someone thinks they like fixed or popups the best, they're 100% correct - but with a lighthearted tone: Isn't being unhappy about the looks of raised popups kind of like disliking how someone looks outside in their underwear? How often does one see popped up lights in the day, and how well can one really see them at night with the lights glaring or while driving and cloaked in darkness? :) Sure you can see the popups from behind the wheel but IMHO, seeing the wipers obscuring a full view of the hoodline is the only bummer I think about occasionally, and we all have that setup. And like docjohn says, I kinda dig the sound and appearance of the rising lights, lol.

Something else that always seems kinda ha ha silly is - as far as any aerodynamic gains, OK who's really trying for quickest 0-60's or Vmax after nightfall? Or racking up the nighttime highway miles to the point that the $ savings from a few tenths of mpg's really matters?

Sorry to sound like a hater, lol, I don't mean to! We're all correct! Happy ThaNSXiving!

Last edited:
Yinzer I love your posts you keep it real, you are the man. Happy ThaNSXgiving!

Back