• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you think Honda/Acura moniters this site?

When I was reading about the new Z I found out that Nissan religiously (lurks) on Z/ Nissan sites to see what the core buyer wants in a new product. This appears to be more accurate procedure than focus groups because these websites are from the people who have plopped down hard money. It went on to say that reading these fan based sites gives them REAL clues where to go in the future, weak spots in the design/engineering and does more to promote a new model than regular advertising. I know that Nissan has been getting a lot of negative feedback on the new Z's exterior. Stuff like: "It's not ugly, it just ain't good lookin." and how the new Infinity G35 coupe looks better. Weight issues are also being monitered. I think it is because of this that Mazda (who reads RX-7 sites too)has REALLY tried to make sure the bugs are worked out on the new rotery engine since the going joke about the last RX-7 is: "Buy another engine and put it in storage because you will be using it!" They are also working hard on the milage thing which is another gripe about the rotery. So my point is:

Honda are lurking around here...are you listening?....

If not considering the size and scoope of this site then it doesn't say much for the future of the NSX. This site will then go the way of the Fiero guys...just hoping, beggin, and wishing for a future design as they scurry around for parts. ("I had a Fiero GT fastback for 8 years so I know.")

I believe that Honda/Acura is reading this site but.. not thing major.. because NSX is only a small portion of Honda/Acura. compared to their real interest , money rolling Civic/accord etc market.

this(NSX) is a minority group in this case.
our voice wont nessesarily have a response in their product.

this ins what I feel

------------------
the art of chasing down my friend's white 3000gt at com. ave

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

If they were reading this site, they should have given the NSX more power (hp) a long time ago.
biggrin.gif

If they read it, they obviously don't pay too much attention to our wants. And realisitically, we are a small percentage of the market that this car sells to, which is also a very small market. For instance, I would love more HP, but someday I will pay the $10G or so to modify my '92 instead of the almost $100G that a new one would require.

Another point is that we read "I want this power", "I want V8/V10/V...", "I want carbon/sequential/turbo/HUGE Brembos" and in reality most of us have a '91-'92 and complain about the price of the OEM tires or where to buy a filter for 6$ instead of 8$...
rolleyes.gif

What useful "selling criteria" could Honda learn from us? I think that their surveys between old buyers cover their questions in a more constructive way.

gheba_nsx/'91 NSX

[This message has been edited by gheba_nsx (edited 15 October 2002).]

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
Another point is that we read "I want this power", "I want V8/V10/V...", "I want carbon/sequential/turbo/HUGE Brembos" and in reality most of us have a '91-'92 and complain about the price of the OEM tires or where to buy a filter for 6$ instead of 8$...
rolleyes.gif

What could Honda learn from us? I think that their surveys between old buyers cover their questions in a more constructive way.

gheba_nsx/'91 NSX

I agree. Very few of us on this site have bought our NSXs new and have paid for the "overpriced car" a ridiculous amount of money - there are other pretty atractive choices at that price level of $70K+ ,a more accurate transaction level than the $89K sticker.

Those of you who have bought a used 91-93 have gotten an incredible deal but you are not the ones that Honda/Acura would target if they were about to build and sell a new NSX.

Finally, I feel my car is perfect as it comes from the factory. I don't want to modify it. I don't like it to be noisier or harsh riding. I don't need a body kit to make it look "better". The only thing I would not mind having is more power, but not at the expense of reliability, and that's why I would never add a BBSC or any other kind of forced induction for example. This is all just my own personal opinion of course and I don't mean to say that modified cars are less than stock - as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The above paragraph is meant for the people at Honda/Acura in case they read this site. I'm one of the 250 people (more or less) who purchased a brand new NSX in 1999.

Marvin, Nissan and other OEM's monitor sites heavily. In the case of Nissan, their change of direction towards performance makes them lurk on high performance sites including ours (my son is a Z Product Planner). I don't think Honda (US) planners have the same interests. They probably lurk on SoccerMom.com, BefriendATree.com and other such sites.

Yeah, I guess that's why we got cool cars like the NSX and the S2000. Because all the soccer moms and trees wanted them.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 1HOT NSX:
I agree. Very few of us on this site have bought our NSXs new and have paid for the "overpriced car" a ridiculous amount of money - there are other pretty atractive choices at that price level of $70K+ ,a more accurate transaction level than the $89K sticker.

Those of you who have bought a used 91-93 have gotten an incredible deal but you are not the ones that Honda/Acura would target if they were about to build and sell a new NSX.

This may be true in many cases, but the statistics from 91 & 92 show many bought new in those years and w/lessor sales as years past due to fewer overall improvements and no significant styling changes. Conversly, many had the chance to buy in following years and are representative of this site. The market could be ready for them like it was 10 years ago. I agree whom Acura will target and I have a great big bulls-eye on my back, ready and waiting.

I know a few people at American Honda occasionally monitor this site and at least one (from their NSX technical center) has posted here a few times, as well as to the e-mail lists.

I've also been told by a few owners that they first learned of this site from Acura customer service. I'm not sure if it's just one person in customer service who was referring them here, if it's on a reference sheet, or what. I thought it was unusual for a company like Honda to refer customers to a non-Honda resource, but hey.

I doubt, however, that it is anyone's job to keep up with this or other car forums. I think it's just the people who take a real personal interest in it. When a company like Honda really wants customer input they tend to do formal surveys, focus groups, etc.

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
What useful "selling criteria" could Honda learn from us? I think that their surveys between old buyers cover their questions in a more constructive way.
I agree that its more useful insight, and has to balance the "brochure wish list" with some real-world concerns like day-to-day cost of ownership, etc. "relatively inexpensive to modify" unfortunately does not correlate with "cheap to maintain", and for most $$$ cars, nothing is inexpensive anyway.

I'm curious as to the survey sample covering the "real" range of owner/enthusiast interests.

Most studies I've seen (manufacturer or third-party, like magazines) tend to focus on inputs from "first owner" -- those who bought their cars NEW.

I would suspect that many folks/enthusiasts bought their cars used (I was 2nd owner on the 2 NSXs I've purchased so far), and AHM might not have as good visibility to this segment.

Originally posted by cojones:
I would suspect that many folks/enthusiasts bought their cars used (I was 2nd owner on the 2 NSXs I've purchased so far), and AHM might not have as good visibility to this segment.

Maybe they don't feel they need visibility to this segment, since this segment is not buying cars from them.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Maybe they don't feel they need visibility to this segment, since this segment is not buying cars from them.

I wonder how that would have been viewed @ Am.Honda if the internet w/this forum were around in the years the NSX sold the most. Were they aware that folks wanted more power after those first few years of production and the minimal 20HP increase in 97 just wasn't enough. It looks like their mistake to not atleast try to garner public awareness in the NSX with the people they intend to market like other manufactures have been doing.

Lud I think you would be interested to know that I know the Acura dealerships around my area lurk on your board. I have been in the service department before and seen the service guys scrolling through NSXPRIME.

Recall that Acura/Honda did do a phone survey of a fairly large group of new NSX purchasers just a couple of years ago. I believe they also inadvertently revealed the entire mailing list in the "To:" line of the relevant email which apparently got the contract marketing/survey person into a bit of hot water. So we can at least infer that they WERE interested in end user feedback from new car buyers not too long ago. Wonder if they'll ever act on that feedback...

Originally posted by Number9:
Recall that Acura/Honda did do a phone survey of a fairly large group of new NSX purchasers just a couple of years ago. I believe they also inadvertently revealed the entire mailing list in the "To:" line of the relevant email which apparently got the contract marketing/survey person into a bit of hot water. So we can at least infer that they WERE interested in end user feedback from new car buyers not too long ago. Wonder if they'll ever act on that feedback...
I was one of those who was interviewed. I've also purchased two new NSX's. The interviewers were interested in talking with owners that had a household income of $200k or better and ninety percent of the questions were directed to areas other than performance (although I kept going back to it). I felt the market they were going after was way different from the performance oriented group on this forum. Of course how could we blame them. I remember at our NSXPO in Ohio when their representatives queried our group if we would be interested in a more performance oriented model that would weight less and cost less then the current model available at that time. Of course the overwhelming response was YES. Then they released the Zanardi. How many rushed to buy them? Very few. When we complain about power, it is because so many of todays cars have higher hp. Before my BBSC install, I kept up pretty well with most street cars that the NSX was designed to compete with, where it was designed to compete...on the road courses! Now with the BBSC installed on my Zanardi, the only thing that keeps me from passing ANY street car on the track, is my ability or lack thereof. Talk is cheap, but how many on this list would pay full price for a next generation Ferrari killer? And do you think it would justify Honda's investment?

I was about to create a new topic in which I would like to start a kind of petition or "group action" to sensibilize people at Honda Acura to keep on with the NSX and to let them know what we would like at least find in the next gen NSX.

I feel that this operation could be important and constructive because I believe that Honda have to realize that the NSX has the same potential than the Porsche 911 in matter of a long lasting and evolving product. They have a great sportscar icon. They have to take care of it and in that case money isn't as important as prestige and image...

The only way to do it is to keep improving it and don't let it surpassed by competition.

So I want for the next NSX:

to globally keep its first look and general philosophy,

to increase power ( V8 from two S2K engine ) and thus widening body ( the same happened to the numerous following evolution of original 911... )

10 000 rpm resulting in a over than 120 hp / Liter output( redefining the highest RPM and output again for a NA engine )

same layout ( transverse engine with trunk: the 911 layout never changed too...)

So you can count on me if we want to send something to Honda Acura.

Anybody interested?

Should we start a dedicated topic for this and organising ourselves?

I feel that we should at lest to it even though we won't be sure that guys at Hoda will pay serious attention to it...

Who buys NSXs?
Previous owners -of course!!!
I wouldn't consider a 2002, because my 98 has Comptech suspension, headers, exhaust, CF air intake, etc....
What does a 2002 offer other than a higher price tag - the answer..... not a heck of a lot!!!
Hey, you guys in Japan who are reading this - wake up V8, V10 or really make us happy V12!!! By the way, should you Honda guys be reading this, post potential designs on this site for us to choose, I would suspect if you gave us a V8 that looked like an Eclipse - we wouldn't be happy!!!
Let us vote for a design from your potential designsss!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
just my .02
the doc!!!

Well, if Chuck and I were at all representative of the survey sample, they've already heard the request for continued reliability, balance, poise, lighter weight and MORE POWER. Whether or not they act on it - well, the 2002 made me sceptical...

it would be so sweet if the nsx became like the 911 in terms of generational updates, but at least porsche releases a new 911 every 7-8 years. For the NSX, we're at 10yrs, and it doesn't look like anything is coming soon... that's leaving it a little TOOOOOO LONG.

If you are listening Honda, come on, throw in a V8, reduce the new price and do some serious marketing... (and send me a red '92 NSX in payment for this priceless advice
smile.gif

Originally posted by NeoNSX:

If you are listening Honda, come on, throw in a V8, reduce the new price and do some serious marketing

V8 would be nice.. But I oppose the reducing of price. just maintain the current price.. or a reasonable price for V8 around 100k

Marketing? I don't think the sales of the NSX have to do with marketing. A car of this car doesnt depend much on marketing. Its more of " people heard, and come buy "

------------------
the art of chasing down my friend's white 3000gt at com. ave

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

Back