• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you think Honda/Acura moniters this site?

Originally posted by bboxer:
My 25 years of exposure to the Ferrari crowd sure got me used to snobs, but not the NSX crowd ! Come on guys

Tino I don't think most of us think the Z is not a sports car. I for one think it is and will get my first close-up hopefully tomorrow. It prob. is a bargin by comparison. I look at all cars objectively and many NSX owners do. I have only owned mine for 6 months and love it. Its a well crafted machine throughout. One thing I will look @ tomorrow when I see the Z is its craftmanship and I can't discount the Acura testimony for its example. Its been said here before that the NSX may not be the value it once was in comparison to whats on the market now. I think we as owners get frustrated over the lack of improvements especially in the HP. I purchased mine w/the intent on keeping it till what I hope will be a greatly improved car in 04 and will buy new and won't mind paying the price to get it and I suspect more than a few dozen on the forum will too.

On another note: can your son give us more detail on the ALMS version for the street please...., if he can off topic. I will post after I see the z tomorrow and guys this is one of the best threads IMO in awhile.

I ONLY WISH SOMEONE FROM ACURA WOULD VISIT THIS SITE AND TELL US WHEN. Q & A SESSION WOULD BE NICE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE NSX

[This message has been edited by Tom Larkins (edited 18 October 2002).]

That's news to me as well. Never ever heard that one before. Please elaborate..

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
Since when did the NSX have a "notoriously bad chassis?" Am I missing something? Are you talking about coupe or targa?

Originally posted by MvM:

That said, I think the point Effer was making about the NSX having 911-potential is true. Because the NSX has been in production for so long it does stand out in a unique way compared to any other Japanese carmodel.
The Porsche 911 has evolved over many years and although the latest model is far different from the first, it is always recognisable as a 911.

Thanks MvM! I am sure about the NSX potential and what disappoint me most is the fact that Honda COULD also make a Mc Laren F1 competitor but they don't enter in the game.

Remember when the NSX was first introduced in 1990, everybody in the car industry was predicting for the NSX a glorious future and that Honda will ridicule Porsche, Ferrari and others considering this first successfull try and coming in the exotic supercar category...

Honda just didn't keep the pace with competition. Maybe they thought that they were beyond them!?! Overall yes, but in this competitive world only track performance and racing prestige count...

Originally posted by MvM:

It has also been upgraded all the time to keep up with the competition. Mind you, the 911 is not first in all categories but I don't think that is what matters most.
The same should go for the new NSX.

I agree but Porsche have their Turbo 911 to compete in top.

There should also be a boosted NSX version
( still NA IMO ), in fact I would go for Longitudinal, no trunk, V12 6 Liter @ 120 hp / liter !!! Still developped from the S2K engine.

With at least 720 hp and some 3000 pounds, this NSX could establish itself pretty strong in the exotic top gun !

I also like very much the idea of a 3 liter inline 6 @ 360 hp as detailed in the S2000R hoax.

Wake up Honda you have everything you need to succeed!!! Just do it!

in fact I would go for Longitudinal, no trunk, V12 6 Liter @ 120 hp / liter !!! Still developped from the S2K engine

How would Honda create a V12 from the S2K engine?

Maybe a radial 12
wink.gif
but certainly not a V-12.

I'd be happy with a V-8 that could be developed easily from the S2K engine.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

With two inline 6 created from adding two cylinders from the inline 4 as illustrated in the S2000R hoax.

Oh... Well, that's why they called it a hoax.

It's not that easy to add two cylinders in that manner. You might as well design a completely new engine.

The whole purpose of basing one engine on another is to gain the benefit of existing design and components.

To build a V8 from two inline 4 S2K engines makes sense because you could utilize the heads pretty much as is.

In any case, it seems that Honda's probably not even willing to go the V8 route, let alone a V12.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Tom,
Less than an hour after my above post, my son came by my office with a fresh-off-the-boat Track version of the Z. I had to go for a spin again just to make sure my enthusiasm for it is not exagerated. It is still IMO, the best bang-for-buck deal in town. You will see that the fit and finish of the NSX is still superior but not a factor at all when you compere prices.
Speaking of NSX, I've been driving mine lately and had a chance to make back-to-back comparisons: IMO, the NSX is still the more "satisfying" car. (perhaps the most satisfying street car I've owned.)
On the ALMS subject, my son doesn't say much but I don't think Nissan is ready to spend as much money as Porsche to win. While on the subject of "competition" it is no longer a secret that Nissan will make available thru its dealers a whole array of NISMO parts for the Z and other cars (performance parts and not just for looks); that should be interesting. John still owns his NSX and has a hard time replacing it with a Z. He's under the spell just like the rest of us.

You're right, and I don't like Honda much either. As fas as performance fans are concerned, Honda's in the dumps until further notice. You can love their NSX and F1 technology of the late 80's and early 90's and dislike their present philosophy.
until they'll stop those clouds of white smoke behind BAR and Jordan F1 cars and come up with a new REAL sports car, I will do my best to keep the NSX in my garage.
(I'm out of here, I'm too old for this stuff)

Originally posted by victoria_nsx:
I'm in Canada, and there is a $7000 price difference between the S2000 and the 350Z.

Which way?

I’m in the United States, where the S2000 costs less than the track version of the 350Z.

Originally posted by jstramotas:
the Z will go 0-60 in 5.4 with a 1/4 mile best of 13.9 as published in Sport Compact Car and puts down about 250HP to the wheels (more than a 3.0L stock NSX). I didn't realize the S2000 did 0-60 in 4.9...

0-60 test times for the 350Z range in the mid to high fives, as I mentioned: 5.4 from Car and Driver, 5.5 in Motor Trend, 5.6 in Road & Track, and 5.7 on MotorWeek. The S2000 was tested at 5.2 by Motor Trend (February 2000) – a time that I have yet to see a stock 350Z equal. Last time I checked, 5.2 seconds was indeed one half second quicker than 5.7 seconds.

Originally posted by jstramotas:
thanks for the constructive input Ken.

John, perhaps you were not aware, but snide and sarcastic comments directed at individuals are not appreciated around here.

Originally posted by bboxer:
please do not compare the Z to the S2K. I've got one of those in my garage and it is the noisiest,most uncomfortable,and unbarable car to own.

Then why do you have one?
confused.gif

Going back to the 350Z, I have nothing against this car. It is a great value, as Jimbo states. And kudos to Nissan for coming out with a track version. I was a bit disappointed that it isn't a bit lighter and a bit quicker, as was most of the automotive press, but for $34K, it's a very nice car, to be sure.

My objections weren't to the 350Z so much as the anti-Honda comments, which don't hold up upon closer examination. As I mentioned, Honda is not perfect in some ways, particularly concerning the marketing/pricing and ongoing development of the NSX. However, it is widely (and rightfully) considered in the United States as the most respected and admired automaker in the automotive industry, with the best-in-class in many of its segments. When it comes to product, I can't name another automaker that can boast of such fine products in so many segments.

As for conservative, you may love it or hate it, but does this look conservative to you?

bg_home.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 October 2002).]

Saturday I had a chance to get a first hand look at a Z. Drove up in the NSX and the co-owner/GM came out b/f I made it to the front door. Had great things to say about the NSX and gave me a real good look a touring model Z @ $37k. As Tino stated, the NSX is superior in fit/finish and its quite evident, however it appears to be a good value, although I didn't drive it b/c it was sold, although a drive was promised w/a track version when one was available. As for the ALMS version, the dealership has one available to them @ 75k and he said he wouldn't take less than $100k for it. If I remember they call it a Z33R, 200 will be built for racing only and nothing similar will be available for the street. After market stuff is already available for trac & touring models as stated. After looking in the engine compartment I don't see anyway for a SC or Turbo application w/this car due to the lack of room in OEM configuration, but someone is going to cook something up. So much for a street version of the ALMS car @ 450HP/2400lbs. None the less the ALMS car is one heck of a deal for someone wanting to go racing proving Nissian can provide good support and tech. data. I wonder how many will be accounted for? I wish them well, it takes some balls to offer a car purpose built for racing only as a turn key roller. Monitor that ACURA and make it happen.

The 350Z ALMS car does indeed sound like an awesome deal. Doesn't Honda, "bottom of the totem pole,"
rolleyes.gif
have Type R races in Japan. Something similar to Porsche Cup races but with Civic and Integra Type R's? Too bad they couldn't, or won't, bring something organized like that to the US. But then we, the US, has race series like the East Coast Honda Challenge. What would be really cool to see is NSX's participate in a ECHC or something similar that's sponsored by Honda.

In my opinion, Nissan will get its a$$ handed to them if they try to compete in the ALMS with a $75k car. Most of the Porsches in that series cost twice that (some can be 3 times that). In a racing series that competitive you will rarely do well spending 1/3 to 1/2 what the other teams are spending (let alone the years worth of data and R&D the Porsche guys have).

They may do better in the Speedworld GT Championship. I think thats where they ought to race.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 21 October 2002).]

Yep, you've got to respect them for at least trying. I feel the same way towards Cadillac's LeMans effort.

Back