• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does spring length matter?

I'm wondering if spring length has any performance impact.

I just installed KW v3 coilovers with air cups. Since the air cups take up some space I was told I could get shorter springs for the front and then use my front springs in the rear. The standard front and rear springs with the KW's are the same 345 lb/inch, but the fronts are shorter than the rear. After installing the coilovers on the car and adjusting the height, I probably didn't need to use the shorter spring on the rear as there is more than enough height adjustment left (I kept a reasonable ride height). So I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to going back to the longer stock spring with the same spring rate.

Also any recommendations for rebound and compression adjustments? My intended use is primarily street with an occasional auto cross.
My front setup is the KW 80-140 spring (part# 60110064). So 457 lb/in front and 345 lb/in rear.

Last edited:
I'm confused you said both sets of springs were the same compression in the beginning, but then state the front and rear have different rates?

KWV3 come with 2 springs for each coil-over - a "helper" spring and a main spring - The helper spring is the thinner / shorter spring. As I understand it the car is basically sitting on the helper spring when parked or driving down the street or highway, but the moment you corner or brake, the helper spring is compressed and you are on the main spring. I think each corner was about 345# from the factory -

KWV3 recommended factory settings for my 02 are:
Front Rebound 9 Rear Rebound 7
Front Compression 3 Rear Compression 6
I found these settings a very good place to start -

It was also pointed out on this forum, that I needed to maintain the designed "rake" which is a 1/4 inch difference between the back height and front height. Back is 1/4 in higher. There are specific places to measure this and I forget where they are right now.

I'm confused you said both sets of springs were the same compression in the beginning, but then state the front and rear have different rates?

The 457lb front spring is from the KW Clubsport line.

I'm wondering if spring length has any performance impact.

I just installed KW v3 coilovers with air cups. Since the air cups take up some space I was told I could get shorter springs for the front and then use my front springs in the rear. The standard front and rear springs with the KW's are the same 345 lb/inch, but the fronts are shorter than the rear. After installing the coilovers on the car and adjusting the height, I probably didn't need to use the shorter spring on the rear as there is more than enough height adjustment left (I kept a reasonable ride height). So I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to going back to the longer stock spring with the same spring rate.

Also any recommendations for rebound and compression adjustments? My intended use is primarily street with an occasional auto cross.
My front setup is the KW 80-140 spring (part# 60110064). So 457 lb/in front and 345 lb/in rear.

So I'm confused. You indicated you put a shorter spring on the front, but the KW's already come with a shorter spring in the front (vs the rear). The KW 80-140 Clubsport spring is 140mm (5.5 in) and I don't believe it is any shorter than the standard spring that comes with the KWv3 setup. I probably would not have put the shorter spring on the rear. Under extreme compression you are probably going to bottom out the shock rod. You might also damage the seals.

Finally the valving is configured for the standard spring rate (345lb). Not sure what results you'll get with the higher rate spring on the front combined with the mis-matched valving. Maybe none, but probably not ideal.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. The shorter spring I am running up front is the club sport spring 80-140 (80 NM/mm, 140mm length). The standard springs that come with KW V3 are 60-170 front, 60-200 rear. The aircups take up ~20-30mm. I also cut the bump stop on the coilovers down to its alternative height just in case.

Also from what I’ve read from some post by Billy Johnson the 457lb spring rate should be fine on the KW V3 valving.

KWV3 come with 2 springs for each coil-over - a "helper" spring and a main spring - The helper spring is the thinner / shorter spring. As I understand it the car is basically sitting on the helper spring when parked or driving down the street or highway, but the moment you corner or brake, the helper spring is compressed and you are on the main spring. I think each corner was about 345# from the factory -

KWV3 recommended factory settings for my 02 are:
Front Rebound 9 Rear Rebound 7
Front Compression 3 Rear Compression 6
I found these settings a very good place to start -

It was also pointed out on this forum, that I needed to maintain the designed "rake" which is a 1/4 inch difference between the back height and front height. Back is 1/4 in higher. There are specific places to measure this and I forget where they are right now.

Thanks for giving me the settings. Should be a good starting point. I’ll also need to play with the height to get the correct rake.

As for helper springs they are compressed by the weight of the car. Even when parked they will be fully compressed, which is probably why the coils are flat and not round. If you do any wicked jumps they should expand and keep the main spring aligned.

Back from the dead. My kw v3 setip
isnt as low as I’d like. At full droop the helper spring is very very close to hitting the control arm. Has anyone run the v3 without the helper spring? Or lowered them to the point where the helper spring comes in contact with the control arm when at full stoop (on a lift)

I put shorter main springs in. I also went with 100/80nm F/R spring rates to close to the NSX-R rates. The helper springs are already fully compressed with the car stationary. They are there to prevent the spring from rattling around at full droop and have no effect on the handling of the car. You can take them out but if you can keep them and just use a shorter main spring that would be better.

Back from the dead. My kw v3 setip
isnt as low as I’d like. At full droop the helper spring is very very close to hitting the control arm. Has anyone run the v3 without the helper spring? Or lowered them to the point where the helper spring comes in contact with the control arm when at full stoop (on a lift)

With the suspension at full droop (i.e. car raised fully on a lift), the springs should never rattle around. They should always maintain contact with the top hat and the adjustable spring perch. The laws in Europe require a certain minimum preload, in fact, at full droop. Otherwise you run the chance of suspension damage, and worst-case, an out-of-control car.

With the suspension at full droop, you can lower the spring perch until it reaches the upper control arm, but I would still give about a millimeter or two of clearance.

You can see from the pic below that I'm pretty close too:

View attachment 160734

Here is mine at full droop. As you can see not even close to touching the control arm. My front main spring is 6" long. If I didn't have the helper spring my main spring would be resting on the lower perch - NOT GOOD!

NSX Front Susp.jpg

I've raced a lot of showroom stock cars with springs rattling around without helper springs, and never had an issue. Then again, there's no reason not to run a thin helper spring like the hyperco one in the above pic, which will give you more clearance than the stock kw helper spring.

Last edited:
With the suspension at full droop (i.e. car raised fully on a lift), the springs should never rattle around. They should always maintain contact with the top hat and the adjustable spring perch. The laws in Europe require a certain minimum preload, in fact, at full droop. Otherwise you run the chance of suspension damage, and worst-case, an out-of-control car.
Thanks correct. If you remove the helper spring you should also ask KW for a rebound to limit the shock travel. This guarranties that the main spring is always under pressure, around 50 kg or 10 mm. The negative aspect of removing the helper spring is that the shock travel will be very limited with the rebound needed for just the main spring. The stiffer the spring the lesser the droop. Not sure if you like that. So there's a reason why the helper spring is there.

Thanks correct. If you remove the helper spring you should also ask KW for a rebound to limit the shock travel. This guarranties that the main spring is always under pressure, around 50 kg or 10 mm. The negative aspect of removing the helper spring is that the shock travel will be very limited with the rebound needed for just the main spring. The stiffer the spring the lesser the droop. Not sure if you like that. So there's a reason why the helper spring is there.
Removing the helper spring does not affect or limit droop travel. Spring rates don't affect droop travel in systems with helper springs that are not fully compressed (and serve no purpose) at full droop.

Removing the helper spring does not affect or limit droop travel. Spring rates don't affect droop travel in systems with helper springs that are not fully compressed (and serve no purpose) at full droop.
That's all correct. The droop level is not DIRECTLY affected by any change in the springs. It's just determined by the length of the shock at full rebound.
I'm just saying that the droop level has to be reduced IF (under this condition) you remove the helper spring to ensure the same pretension of the spring at full droop like before. I know that we have much stricter laws here in Europe than anywhere else. KW is also in Europe and they know their stuff. So the helper spring has a certain function. It's only there to guarranty that the main spring is always under pertension in all scenarios. Removing the helper spring is at your own risk.

Maybe under TUV law & standards, but no, the droop travel does not 'have to' be reduced if removing the helper spring. But as I said earlier, if the goal is more clearance to the UCA, there's no reason not to use the thin hyperco helper spring.

For race applications, yes, it is possible that at times for dampers that haven't been completely optimized for that track to have springs rattling around. HOWEVER, that is only rattling around within the spring perch itself. At no point should springs ever NOT be captured within the collar of the spring perch - Race car or street car.

That's because for a large bump, the corresponding large droop could bounce a short spring up and cause it to become cocked at an angle will likely score the hardened shock shaft and raise that corner of the car an inch up when the suspension comes crashing back down. Springs are designed to take load in one direction only - and that all goes out the window if a spring is bent over 30 degrees on its side. You don't ever want to take that unpredictability chance in a vehicle at speed. That's why [MENTION=10201]goldNSX[/MENTION] says you can have the damper rebuilt to limit the piston stroke if you have to run a short spring (and sometimes you do for a few reasons). This is mostly for race cars on nice tracks that only need minimal suspension travel to begin with.

Also, there's a difference between tender springs and helper springs. Look at the two pictures above. The top picture shows more of a "tender" spring setup that is around 200 lb/in IIRC. You can get exotic and have dual-rate setups kinda like progressive designs, but that's more for street use and to make it more comfortable (my main goal for the setup in the top picture above).

The bottom picture shows a "helper" spring setup that effectively has little spring rate (it's a lot thinner than the top one) and it's sole purpose is to keep the spring straight when the damper is extended past the main spring fully extended length. Those spring rates are maybe 25 lbs/in or so.

But, to answer [MENTION=35852]JJM4life[/MENTION] initial question, yes, you can lower the spring perch to where it is almost contacting the front upper control arm at full droop.

If that's not low enough for you, you can also simply switch to a softer spring setup. I don't know the KW setups, but if the front spring that you have now is a 7" long uncompressed spring with a rate of 350 lb/in, then you can go to a new 7" spring with a slightly softer rate of 300 lb/in (good for comfort too on the street) and that will lower your front ~0.4" at the wheels assuming you leave the spring perch where it is now. If it's mostly for street driving you may like that better anyways. Just make sure to go with corresponding softer springs for the rear too in order to preserve the balance you have now. Or, you don't need to do that if you want to experiment with the handling.

New quality springs cost about $85 each. You can buy Eibach, Hyperco, Swift, etc. Just need to know the uncompressed length, the rate, and the inner diameter that you want. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reading again the OPs post, the air cups raise the height. That's where the problem origins.

You could install the main spring only and see how much more rebound (within the shock) is needed for a safe spring preload.

I've asked KW about doing this job while ordering a kit and they said 'yes, we can', just tell us what rebound (in mm) you like. The KW doesn't need a droop level like a SUV and installing the kit will be much easier than taking out the bloody long OEM struts.

I envy the US guys who can install any mod in a car while we have to undergo hurdles to install even a different wheel. On the other hand, some of the regulations are reasonable.

For race applications, yes, it is possible that at times for dampers that haven't been completely optimized for that track to have springs rattling around. HOWEVER, that is only rattling around within the spring perch itself. At no point should springs ever NOT be captured within the collar of the spring perch - Race car or street car.

That's because for a large bump, the corresponding large droop could bounce a short spring up and cause it to become cocked at an angle will likely score the hardened shock shaft and raise that corner of the car an inch up when the suspension comes crashing back down. Springs are designed to take load in one direction only - and that all goes out the window if a spring is bent over 30 degrees on its side. You don't ever want to take that unpredictability chance in a vehicle at speed.
Real world results show that doesn't happen and the spring wouldn't touch the base of the shaft, that could effect the seal of the damper since the spring would come down with the lower perch and the top of the spring would be loose. Again, I don't recommend it, but it's more of a theoretical concern than a realistic one.

Also, there's a difference between tender springs and helper springs. Look at the two pictures above. The top picture shows more of a "tender" spring setup that is around 200 lb/in IIRC. You can get exotic and have dual-rate setups kinda like progressive designs, but that's more for street use and to make it more comfortable (my main goal for the setup in the top picture above).
KW uses helper springs and so are hyperco. Things get far more complex when you deal with dual rate springs since 2 springs in series result in a significantly softer rate than either of the springs used:

Different spring rates: Keq = (k1)(k2) / (k1 + k2)
Same spring rates: Keq = ½ (k)

Selecting these rates based off of your droop and compression travel, the preload of the helper spring given the main spring height and the total droop distance, the varying point where the tender spring coil binds and then solely relies on the main spring, all make this an EXTREMELY COMPLEX endeavor that is far more advanced than simply selecting a spring rate and length, which is fundamental by comparison and the point of discussion here. I'd highly recommend against going down the path of tender springs unless you run all of those calculations and know what you're doing; which is far beyond the scope of this thread. You can end up with a very inconsistent handling of the car, so just stick with helper springs.

If that's not low enough for you, you can also simply switch to a softer spring setup. I don't know the KW setups, but if the front spring that you have now is a 7" long uncompressed spring with a rate of 350 lb/in, then you can go to a new 7" spring with a slightly softer rate of 300 lb/in (good for comfort too on the street) and that will lower your front ~0.4" at the wheels assuming you leave the spring perch where it is now. If it's mostly for street driving you may like that better anyways. Just make sure to go with corresponding softer springs for the rear too in order to preserve the balance you have now. Or, you don't need to do that if you want to experiment with the handling.

New quality springs cost about $85 each. You can buy Eibach, Hyperco, Swift, etc. Just need to know the uncompressed length, the rate, and the inner diameter that you want. Hope that helps.
Re-read OPs issue. I wouldn't recommend softer spring rates than what KW recommends. Also, softer spring rates will have zero effect on improving his clearance issues to the upper control arm.

The helper spring is 99.9 % on block while driving. The main spring does all the work. Only in extreme scenarios the helper spring has to expand. Or if you put the car on jackstands but it's driving then, obviously by definition. So in 99.9 % it's only a distance collar. One way to lower the car would be to use a helper spring with less height of the coils when fully compressed. It reduces the cars height without lowering the spring base (or given that its position is still the same).

The blue helper spring on the strut of [MENTION=32537]mwagner10702[/MENTION] 'looks' from the picture like it could be better suited for the additional lowering than the KW helper spring. But not sure about that if it really is.

Last edited:
Real world results show that doesn't happen and the spring wouldn't touch the base of the shaft, that could effect the seal of the damper since the spring would come down with the lower perch and the top of the spring would be loose. Again, I don't recommend it, but it's more of a theoretical concern than a realistic one.

Re-read OPs issue. I wouldn't recommend softer spring rates than what KW recommends. Also, softer spring rates will have zero effect on improving his clearance issues to the upper control arm.

Let me put it bluntly: No OEM will design a suspension that allows the spring to rattle around, even though no such restriction is placed on them by regulators. That should be enough to convince a person that doesn't have a technical clue that it is a bad thing for the reasons I've described above. I don't know of any real-world results because I don't know of anyone dumb enough to do that. Have about a mm or two of spring play but it's still captured within the spring collar? Perhaps in a pinch, but the spring is still constrained from a safety standpoint and the only bad thing would be beating up the damper ends with the springs beating on them. I wouldn't allow this permanently.

Perhaps some confusion is that the OP of this thread is a different person (I presume) than JJM4life who bumped this thread and I responded to. A softer spring rate will, in fact, lower the vehicle if the lower perch is left at the same position. If this difference in height is sufficient for the thread bumper, it may be enough to allow them to raise the lower spring perch so it doesn’t come into contact with the upper a-arm, and therefore solve his problem. Hopefully that helps explain the logic better.

The average NSX has a front corner weight of ~600 lbs. A 350 lb/in spring will compress ~1.7 inches when loaded with that weight. A 300 lb/in spring will compress 2 inches when loaded with that same weight and will therefore compress approximately 0.3 inches more than the stiffer spring. Now, the motion ratio of the front NSX suspension is ~0.75 to 0.7 for a slammed front end. Therefore, a 0.3 inch drop for the front coilover will translate to an ~0.4 inch drop at the front wheel. That's the math behind my previous example for anyone interested. So, leaving the lower spring perch alone in the front and just switching from a 350 to a 300 lb/in spring will drop it ~0.4 inches. Is that enough for JJM4life to give him the drop and spring perch clearance he needs?

If JJM4life has reservations about going to a softer 50lb/in spring rate for his KW V3, why not call the expert KW engineers directly? Then, you can explain to them your situation and see if they agree with the approach I've explained and have personally used with success in the past.

A 50lb/in spring rate difference is nothing for a correctly-valved damper to accomodate like KW V3's NSX application. In fact, the difference in ride may not be apparent to most normal drivers.

Just something for the post bumper to consider. Good luck!

You missed a lot of points.

As I said in my original reply: I have V3s (like JJM4life), I'm familiar with his problem because I ran into the same problem and solved it with shorter springs, while retaining the helper springs. I recommended slightly stiffer rates based off my experience, and also having one of the first V3s on an NSX in this community (and having been sponsored by KW and work with them frequently). I also have a big thread on different spring rate recommendations and damper settings for the V3. I'm sure he has enough info to make an educated decision.

You missed a lot of points.

As I said in my original reply: I have V3s (like JJM4life), I'm familiar with his problem because I ran into the same problem and solved it with shorter springs, while retaining the helper springs. I recommended slightly stiffer rates based off my experience, and also having one of the first V3s on an NSX in this community (and having been sponsored by KW and work with them frequently). I also have a big thread on different spring rate recommendations and damper settings for the V3. I'm sure he has enough info to make an educated decision.

Haven't missed any points - I've just chosen to ignore the incorrect ones.

You can solve the problem with shorter springs but that is not the ideal solution for everyone. Simply switching to shorter springs is a bad idea because you are loosing compression travel before you hit the bump stops, or worse, the springs coil bind.

For example, an Eibach 7" long, 2.5" ID spring with a rate of 350 lb/in has an effective travel of about 4.25" before the coils touch together and bind. That same Eibach spring but nominally 6" long will bind within 3.75" of travel. You're loosing half an inch of compression travel in the shock. This is huge on a street car. Take the example previously for a typical front NSX... The front 350 lb/in spring will compress ~1.75" when loaded with the static weight just sitting on the street. The 7" long spring before now only has 2.5 inches of compression travel (4.25" - 1.75" = 2.5"). Don't forget your typical 1.25" thick bump stops to protect the damper, and you only have about 1.25" of compression travel on street bumps before you impact your bump stops.

Now, switch to a 6" spring that is 1" shorter. Your compression travel for the damper is only 0.75" before you hit the bump stops. This will severely impact the ride quality observed on a typical North American street.

NOW, going with my idea of just switching to a softer spring yields the following:
An Eibach 7" long, 2.5" ID spring with a rate of 300 lb/in has an effective travel of 4.5" before the coils bind. WHAT? That's even more travel than the springs I had before! How'd they do that?! Different coil diameter and possibly geometry that they've fine-tuned for spring linearity and maximum travel.

Keeping your 350 lb/in spring rate and simply going to a 1" shorter spring will decrease your allowed coilover compression travel by ~0.5" and negatively impact the ride quality on bumpy roads. It will allow you to raise your lower spring perch by ~1" though from the perch position you have now to maintain the current ride height.

Going from a 350 lb/in spring to a 300 lb/in spring will increase your allowed coilover compression travel by ~0.25" and improve the ride quality on a mostly street-driven NSX. It will allow you to raise your spring perch by 0.3" from the perch position you have now to maintain the current ride height.

You can certainly go to shorter springs, but I've offered an alternative that hasn't been discussed before. It all depends on what JJM4life desires. If they're happy with the current ride or want to go slightly softer, then the softer springs will do that in addition to lowering the car to where they possibly want it. It would be a win/win as opposed to simply going to a 1" shorter spring.

Now they have enough info to make an educated decision :wink:

Oh, keep in mind if you switch from 350 lb/in springs to 300 lb/in front springs it's not like it's going to ride like an old Cadillac. The front springs on the US-spec NSX's (non Zanardi of course) were between 180 and 200 lb/in.

Oh, keep in mind if you switch from 350 lb/in springs to 300 lb/in front springs it's not like it's going to ride like an old Cadillac. The front springs on the US-spec NSX's (non Zanardi of course) were between 180 and 200 lb/in.
You need to keep in mind that the stock 180-200lb springs are at a much higher ride height that has far more compression travel than lowered cars. The lower you run the car, the less travel you have before hitting the bumpstop and causing a harsh and jarring ride. This is why I recommended against JJM4life lowering the spring rates on his V3s, especially at the ride height he wants to run - based off of the contact between the lower spring perch and the UCA.

*As you lower a car, you need higher spring rates to avoid hitting the bump stops. This is why I recommended running stiffer spring rates at his ride height. I also cut down my bump stops to increase compression travel. Removing 0.5" of bumpstop will make the KW damper bottom out into the bumpstop as the tire starts to touch the inner fenderwell. This gives a more compliant ride over most bumps and still prevents damage when you hit harsh bumps.

Theory is great, but the recommendations don't understand his specific setup. As I said before: I have his exact suspension, am familiar with his issue, and have first hand experience solving it. (Unless you have V3s?)

And on to this:
Haven't missed any points - I've just chosen to ignore the incorrect ones.

You have a basic grasp of motion ratios but you do miss a big part of the understanding of how motion ratios work.

You can solve the problem with shorter springs but that is not the ideal solution for everyone. But it is for HIS KWV3s at HIS ride height. Simply switching to shorter springs is a bad idea because you are loosing compression travel before you hit the bump stops, or worse, the springs coil bind.

Shorter springs raise the location of the lower spring perch for the SAME RIDE HEIGHT -which is his goal to fix his problem. From there he has the room with the spring perch to lower the car further, in which case lowering it from his current ride height via shorter springs or softer spring rates (as you recommend) both will reduce total compression travel of his suspension.
Let's circle back Motion ratios for a second:

The average NSX has a front corner weight of ~600 lbs. correct. A 350 lb/in spring will compress ~1.7 inches when loaded with that weight. A 300 lb/in spring will compress 2 inches when loaded with that same weight INCORRECT (read below) and will therefore compress approximately 0.3 inches more than the stiffer spring. Now, the motion ratio of the front NSX suspension is ~0.75 to 0.7 (actually 0.67) for a slammed front end. Therefore, a 0.3 inch drop for the front coilover will translate to an ~0.4 inch drop at the front wheel. That's the math behind my previous example for anyone interested. So, leaving the lower spring perch alone in the front and just switching from a 350 to a 300 lb/in spring will drop it ~0.4 inches. Is that enough for JJM4life to give him the drop and spring perch clearance he needs?
Your travels are off due to a misunderstanding of how motion ratios work. If you have a 600lb corner weight resting on a strut with a perfect 1:1 motion ratio; yes a 350lb spring will compress 1.71 inches. However, we do not have struts on the NSX. We have an SLA suspension with a 0.67 motion ratio.

Wheel Rate = spring rate*(Motion Ratio)^2.
350*(0.67)^2 = 157.1lb wheel rate.

600lb corner weight acting on 157.1lb wheel rate = 3.82" of travel at the wheel (assuming zero preload on the spring at full droop and no excess droop travel. This results in 2.56" of travel at the damper (3.82"*0.67), compressing the spring 2.56" at static ride height.

A 300lb spring = 134.67lb wheel rate and will cause the wheel to compress 4.46" (0.64" lower ride height with the same spring perch height) and the spring will compress 2.98" - 0.43" at the spring/damper.

For example, an Eibach 7" long, 2.5" ID spring with a rate of 350 lb/in has an effective travel of about 4.25" before the coils touch together and bind. That same Eibach spring but nominally 6" long will bind within 3.75" of travel. You're loosing half an inch of compression travel in the shock. Incorrect; the 6" spring will coil bind 0.5" sooner; it has no effect on the damper/'shock's travel. This is huge on a street car.

Take the example previously for a typical front NSX... The front 350 lb/in spring will compress ~1.75" when loaded with the static weight just sitting on the street. The 7" long spring before now only has 2.5 inches of compression travel (4.25" - 1.75" = 2.5"). Don't forget your typical 1.25" thick bump stops to protect the damper, and you only have about 1.25" of compression travel on street bumps before you impact your bump stops.

Now, switch to a 6" spring that is 1" shorter. Your compression travel for the damper is only 0.75" before you hit the bump stops. This will severely impact the ride quality observed on a typical North American street.
As we learned above; on an NSX, a 350lb spring will compress 2.56" from 600lbs of static weight. That leaves a 7" spring with 1.69" travel before coil binding, and a 6" spring with 1.19" of travel before coil binding. Most coilover bumpstops are harder in durometer and never compress the full thickness of the bumpstop. So it's not accurate to take the thickness of a bumpstop off of the travel of the damper.

A 300lb, 7" spring will sit 0.64" lower with the same spring perch height as above, compress the spring 2.98", leaving 1.27" before coilbinding with a softer spring rate.

By comparison: My car has 80nm springs (457lbs) = 205lb wheel rate. That = 2.93" of wheel travel, 1.96" of spring compression. Given my 140mm (5.5") spring, which should have ~3.5" before coilbinding, I should have 1.5" of travel at the spring.

Remember that 1.5" at the spring = 2.23" of tire travel before coilbinding.

NOW, going with my idea of just switching to a softer spring yields the following:
An Eibach 7" long, 2.5" ID spring with a rate of 300 lb/in has an effective travel of 4.5" before the coils bind. WHAT? That's even more travel than the springs I had before! How'd they do that?! Different coil diameter and possibly geometry that they've fine-tuned for spring linearity and maximum travel.

If you're not coilbinding; changing to a spring that has more travel before coilbinding won't magically give your damper more travel. The only way to get more travel is to cut down or remove the bumpstop, or get a shorter damper body.

Keeping your 350 lb/in spring rate and simply going to a 1" shorter spring will decrease your allowed coilover compression travel by ~0.5" and negatively impact the ride quality on bumpy roads. It will allow you to raise your lower spring perch by ~1" though from the perch position you have now to maintain the current ride height. Not true. As said above, for the KWV3, you'll hit the bump rubber before you coilbind the shorter spring.

Going from a 350 lb/in spring to a 300 lb/in spring will increase your allowed coilover compression travel by ~0.25" and improve the ride quality on a mostly street-driven NSX. It will allow you to raise your spring perch by 0.3" from the perch position you have now to maintain the current ride height.

A 300lb spring will hit the bumpstops sooner at a low ride height, resulting in a harsh ride. The only way a 300lb spring will ride softer is at a higher ride height that does not hit the bumpstop. The issue is compression travel to the bumpstop, not a coilbinding limitation.

You can certainly go to shorter springs, but I've offered an alternative that hasn't been discussed before.

because there are more negatives to a softer spring at the ride height JJM4life wants

It all depends on what JJM4life desires. If they're happy with the current ride or want to go slightly softer, then the softer springs will do that in addition to lowering the car to where they possibly want it. It would be a win/win as opposed to simply going to a 1" shorter spring.

Not true. You need to look at the whole picture (above)

Now they have enough info to make an educated decision :wink:

NOW he has.
In reality, you will hit the KW bumpstop well before you coilbind the spring at this ride height, especially with a 300lb spring. I've tested my 456lb 5.5" spring with 0.5" cut from the bumpstop and it does not coilbind, and the tire just starts to touch the fenderwell at full compression (against the bumpstop) and the ride quality is great without slamming into the bump stops.

It may sound counterintuitive, but when you want to run very low, stiffer springs that keep you out of the bumpstops will make the car ride 10X better than a soft spring that's sitting on the bumpstop.

CLIFFNOTES for those that get lost in the above:

-Lower ride heights will bottom the damper into the bumpstop sooner.
-Lower ride heights need stiffer spring rates to stay out of the bumpstop.
-Cutting down the bumpstop or shortening the damper body is the only way to get more suspension travel (all the examples above bottom the damper out before the spring coilbinds)
-Softer springs need higher ride heights to prevent the damper from bottoming out in the bumpstop.
-If you want your KW V3 lower than the stock setup where the spring perch hits the upper control arm:
-----Use a shorter spring and increase spring rate at least to 457lbs. 514lbs or 571lbs (like NSX-R) would be preferable over the stock V3's 343lbs.

Here's the motoIQ article from many years ago, testing the V3:

https://motoiq.com/project-nsx-part...and-nitto-tires-in-pursuit-of-a-track-record/

And here's the thread back when FXMD was one of the first to sell and support KW's in the NSX market:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Spring-Packages-by-FX-Motorsports-Development

Back