• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does the NSX have different tire treads and materials?

On all four tires? I heard this and was wondering if its true.

Seems to me like they are trying to eliminate vibration or certain unwanted handling characteristics caused by an ultra-stiff chassis.

I'm not talking about size, I know some cars do..but the same size with differnt tread patterns and materials on each wheel..so they would have say a Bridgestone X on one wheel, a Bridgestone XR on another (on the SAME car) etc.. Thanks

Tony asks about:
>>unwanted handling characteristics caused by an ultra-stiff chassis.

A chassis can never be too stiff. Stiff chassis create a stable platform for the suspension and tires to work. Flexible chassis bend and move under load thereby moving the suspension pivot points (among others) and causing the suspension to deflect in ways not intended by the engineers.

The NSX has specific part numbers for each tire. The tires have different compounds front to rear (the rears are softer) and different construction side to side. The internal differences cause forces similar to toe-out at the front and toe-in at the rear which helps create a nimble, quick turning vehicle. The tread is directional to each side for improved grip during cornering. The tire and suspension systems are designed to enhance the vehicle's mid-engine design of which quick transient response and rotation are fundamental.

Of course some people choose not to buy the NSX-specific rubber. They prefer to give up the quick steering response and feedback of the OEM tires for other traits they deem more important.

Back