• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does your NSX feel dated?

Does my NSX feel dated? Maybe to me, but today a guy drove up beside me and asked, "What year is that?". He was blown away to hear it was a first-year production of a car that's been around since 1991. "That car looks awesome!" he yelled to me. :biggrin:

even with the little flaws that my 15yr old car has (bubbling dash, stained ivory carpets, worn bolster, rock chips, and a couple other things) the car doesn't feel dated at all. IMHO time just doesn't effect the NSX,..kinda like its in a world/dimension of its own. but thats just me.

Certain aspects are dated. That huge airbag in the steering wheel is a perfect example. Oh.. and the telescoping antenna. The radio dials. The odometer. The strap that holds open the rear glass lid.

latzke said:
I don't see any reason one of these ($150) couldn't be wired into the NSX somewhere (don't see why it has to be in the visor)...or maybe even find a homelink-compatible remote control that runs off batteries (not sure if this one really is compatible or not). You might be able to get the visor insert cheaper than $150 by buying a visor out of a junk yard from a car that had homelink and cutting the unit out.

The Wayne-Dalton 3-button remote and/or keyless entry pad and/or other controllers may also be homelink compatable (not sure). You can see one (no details) by going to one of their opener pages and clicking on "3-Button Remote" or "Wireless, keyless entrypad" on the lower left.
Awesome find!!! I need to look into this.

Not in any way! Having had it for over a year I'm still surprised as to how modern it looks compared to its actual age. I just love the lines of this car!

I had a Murcielago came alongside me while I was cruising very slowly, rolled down his window and asked me what is it, gave me the thumbs up before driving off..

clr1024 said:
That makes two of us I wondered the same thing:confused:

I think he choose his words a bit wrong. Think he means the leather strap which holds the cover for the targa roof up.
If not... this guy has an actual working model of a skyhook.

Tom239 said:
If having analog gauges (and a body style with more curves than
sharp angles) makes a car dated, then I'm happy my NSX is dated.

Agreed!

Classics are timeless. Anyone who says the NSX looks or feels dated is a liar or a fool. :biggrin:

S2NSX said:
I had a Murcielago came alongside me while I was cruising very slowly, rolled down his window and asked me what is it, gave me the thumbs up before driving off..

Had the same thing happen to me with a guy in a Porsche Carrera recently

I never feel the NSX is outdated especially the 02. This is due to the NSX involvement in the JGTC. I think it looks better with the new colour.

911 looks out dated, it has the same look since twenty thousand years ago, and all they did was make bigger and fatter. :biggrin:

Last fall I drove everything out there to $100K...I purchased a new '05 NSX
(my 5th new NSX since '94). The only other car I seriously considered was the GT3. It was a nice car but the dealer experience sucked. After previously owning a new 996 it reminded me that I'd be visiting the dealer a lot more than I ever did with any of my NSX's...that eliminated the Porsche.

I don't think this looks dated at all.....

8860NSX_5-med.jpg

Hothonda said:
(my 5th new NSX since '94). The only other car I seriously considered was the GT3. It was a nice car but the dealer experience sucked. After previously owning a new 996 it reminded me that I'd be visiting the dealer a lot more than I ever did with any of my NSX's...that eliminated the Porsche.

8860NSX_5-med.jpg

I love that pic....your choice of colors is excellent as well. ;)

i've always thought that nsx's don't get their justice in most pictures..... you just have to see them in real life and next to other cars to really appreciate them. as far as the looks being outdated.... ask somebody who only knows about the looks (ie, has no idea what the car is). they won't be able to tell you if it's a 91 or a 2006. unless your car is a daily driver and is beat up some :tongue:

but that's just the looks. nobody ever mentions the engine of this thing. it is the year 2006. you have station wagons with more hp than an nsx. and most cars half its price will rape it in a straight line (not beat it, RAPE it). i'm not saying that the nsx doesn't have its high points, but cmon, when you're spending 90g on a car, i'd expect it to kill most things on the street. around corners and at a light. this is why i could never justify spending 90 g's on it (besides the fact that i don't have that kind of money :mad: ) in 1991 270hp and 14sec qm was :eek: in 2006, 270 hp and 14 sec qm can be found in a nissan maxima.

the interior of the nsx looks damn good. compare the nsx to a ferrari or borg in any regard and it may get beat..... except the interior.... that's something exotics dont' have: nice interiors. they are garbage, but the nsx's looks nice. there is nothing outdated about the interior. oh, and by the way, ALL american cars' interiors look cheap and crappy too. somehow they still don't get it.

all in all, honda turned their back on the nsx. but then again..... why change something that holds up through the years.... if it is becoming outdated, it is only right now that it is apparent (cause even in the mid/late 90's..... what was better?)

Some cars become dated as they age... others, like the NSX, simply become classics.

Aside from a tiny drop (Zarnadi springs) and modest wheels (17/18 Superleggera), my black/tan '98 is stock-looking. Yet strangely, I can honestly say that it gets at least as much positive comments, glances, and compliments as my 600HP 996 turbo, which was hooked up with a massive drop, 19" black/polished wheels, Strosek bits, CF interior, etc.

I've owned a lot of cars, and am absolutely convinced that the NSX is already a classic... one for the times. It is the sensible man's sports car.

Last edited:
but that's just the looks. nobody ever mentions the engine of this thing. it is the year 2006. you have station wagons with more hp than an nsx. and most cars half its price will rape it in a straight line (not beat it, RAPE it). i'm not saying that the nsx doesn't have its high points, but cmon, when you're spending 90g on a car, i'd expect it to kill most things on the street. around corners and at a light. this is why i could never justify spending 90 g's on it (besides the fact that i don't have that kind of money :mad: ) in 1991 270hp and 14sec qm was :eek: in 2006, 270 hp and 14 sec qm can be found in a nissan maxima.

Besides the Z06 which isn't half the price what other cars beat/rape the NSX?

Also no offense but they stopped selling the 270hp version years ago so why are you using that one as a reference? NSX's don't sell for $90k that's just sticker they generally sell for quite below that somewhere in the $72-74K mark although some pay high seventies.

For half that price you have EVO ,STI and 350Z. Unless their heavily modded ( the Z needing forced induction ) they're not going to beat the 97+ NSX! The Corvette and current e46 M3 just run with it. There's more to being fast than just hp. The weight, gearing and cd ( coefficient of drag ) turn it ( NSX ) into something more than what it is on paper.

I know this generally turns into a my Neon could run that car discussion ,but it just doesn't happen. Most of those guys are shocked when they can't beat you and are like " it's modded right?" and when you tell them "no" they're like dang I didn't know that car was that fast!

Hothonda said:

8860NSX_5-med.jpg

Doggonit HOThonda you are going to have to stop posting pics of your car before I sell my longbeach blue pearl to get white one :biggrin:

WingZ said:
Doggonit HOThonda you are going to have to stop posting pics of your car before I sell my longbeach blue pearl to get white one :biggrin:

OK...but no LB blue NSX I've ever seen looks "dated"!

8860NSX-med.jpg

WingZ said:

Hey....nobody could blame you for making a smart decision to upgrade to Grand Prix White. ;)

For half that price you have EVO ,STI and 350Z. Unless their heavily modded ( the Z needing forced induction ) they're not going to beat the 97+ NSX! The Corvette and current e46 M3 just run with it.

The rice rockets are faster than you think....

2002 nsx
Weight:3153 lbs
0-60 mph:4.9 sec
0-100 mph:11.7 sec
¼ mile:13.4 sec @ 106 mph
Top Speed:175 mph

2002 STi
Weight:~3351 lbs
0-60 mph:4.9 sec
0-100 mph:13.4 sec
¼ mile:13.5 sec @ 101 mph
Top Speed:147 mph

2003 Evo (evo RS is slightly faster and cheaper, but more ghetto)
Weight:3263 lbs
0-60 mph:4.7 sec
0-100 mph:12.4 sec
¼ mile:13.0 sec @ 105 mph
Top Speed:157 mph

2003 350Z
Weight:3150 lbs
0-60 mph:5.4 sec
0-100 mph:13.6 sec
¼ mile:13.9 sec @ 102 mph
Top Speed:156 mph

and then you got a 30k gto with an LS2 400hp/400ft lb.....

so i admit.... i was exaggerating, but to prove a good point. i know numbers aren't everything, and that this does not reflect the driveability of the car (like, the 350Z might be that fast with a good driver, but who the f can get 3rd on the first try??).

what i AM saying is that looking at these cars and not knowing what they were from the beginning, you wouldn't know the diff between a 90k car (or 70 something k car) and a 30k car. why????? why not pump up the nsx a little? i mean more than 20hp increase after 6 years and then running it for 8 or 9 more years, that's nothing; make it run in its league (which isn't hard) and you'll get some better sales and get more respect than the car has been given among non nsx enthusiasts.

either way, i LOVE my nsx. but it doesn't shine so brightly in areas of speed and weight like some people think it does. well, maybe it does, but it's nothing out of the ordinary nowadays. but that's the thing.... there are only a few of the things i can complain about. other than that, the car is amazing. i have no little quirks with the thing. it does its job and it does it well.

like i said, the car was amazing in 91.... and throughout the 90s..... before every car manufacturer made every one of their cars a lot faster....

doesn't anybody else feel that the car wasn't given enough attention over the years? am i the only person that feels this way?

scratch that bold mark on the 0-100 of the evo, 0-100 on the evo is not better.... (it's sad that if i don't do this post somebody will say something about it).

but just a reminder.... i'm not trying to degrade the nsx, but sometimes i read these posts and think some of you got some sort of special edition nsx.... or just haven't driven a car made in the past few years.

Back