• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce Carbon Fiber Engine Cover Group Buy

Here's an idea:

Instead of painting...how about tinting all the corners of the lexan? I don't know if that's possible with lexan vs glass. The dark tint should eliminate the visibility of the adhesive between the cf and lexan.

Or how about some type of dark protective film? similiar process when adding the clear film on our I-Pod screen or mobile phone to protect the screen.

http://qdjnd.en.alibaba.com/product...ign_Board_Protective_Film_Adhesive_Tapes.html

Question:

I'm new to carbon fiber...do any of you know if I can put a coat of car wax to it? I was hoping to add more protection to the CF.

Very nice engine cover.

Here's a thought for mounting the lexan windows:

I think the problem is the clear tape. Perhaps a black double-sided adhesive tape would not be as noticeable, and also give the effect of having the black border.

In the hobby industry, they sell this double-sided foam stick tape for mounting servos. It sticks very strong, is resistant to vibration, and may be able to take the heat as well. Carefully cut, it could look very nice. I've seen both black and white kinds - I think the black could work. I've used to to mount all kinds of things, and although it is very tacky, it does not leave residue when you remove it.

Although I haven't used these particular brands, here is a link to a few different types on Tower Hobbies...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QJE&P=7

Also, would it be possible to make a "stripper" version of this engine cover in a lower-cost fiberglass material, maybe in raw (paint it yourself) or black? Minus all the factory hardware (so you could just use the stuff off the existing engine cover)? Maybe to get the price into the $400-$500 range?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Oles: The black double sided foam tape would look nice, but it is very strong. If the entire edges were sealed down I might be afraid of removing the lexan, because of the strength compared to the mylar. Up to you guys I can send a couple of alternatives to try out. I talked to the tape supplier and they have thicker mylar and the black foam tape. I will mount some and take some pictures when I get back to work.

Peter, congrats on the new baby coming.

I think the mylar dots will work better and should have an overall cleaner look. However, if there is someone who can paint a border that would be good as well.

My cover arrived today.

Like everyone else, I think the CF aspect of the cover is amazing. Incredible workmanship on the CF.

The lexan itself is also great.

But like everyone else, the adhesive tape is more than a little visible. It is not bad enough that I dont want the cover; I think all in all it is an excellent piece, but I too would prefer the tape be invisible.

My weather stripping was included in the box as ordered.

I will put try to install it tonight. Looking forward to it very much.

What is the plan for the OEM parts that we are missing? Will those be shipped out? An equivalent credit applied to our VISAs?

Thanks Peter and Downforce. Id rate it a 9/10 with the ONLY deduction I can see so far being the tape. Cant wait to fit it.

So for those who have gotten it I have a few questions.
1. Is it worth the price?
2. Was it worth waiting 4+ months for?
3. Would you buy it again if given the chance knowing what you know now?
4. Do you think that you should've been told about the b/o parts a long time ago and given the opportunity to have unit shipped anyway?
5. Are you dissappointed that it took so long and came in needing a little finish up work to it?

Ok, install question.

How do I install this on my Targa car?

The OEM bracket, which I pulled off of my engine cover for the charger, does not seem to work. Ive gone to my OEM engine cover, and the hardware from it is gone (assuming it was moved to the charger cover).

Is this the part we are missing? Now Im understanding why you said that on non targa cars this was on the oem cover.

What is the status on the OEM part now?

Cover looks awesome just sitting where it should, unfastened.

Peter,

I know there is one OEM part on backorder that you will ship the buyers later. How do I mount the hatch stay (the rod). Do I use the original one from my factory engine over or do I use the one that you will send later?

Please find my record and issue a $49 refund back to my card. Please send me some mylar dots. I think I will want to use the mylar dots to eliminate the problem with the visible mylar tapes adhesives. At this point, I don't think I want to do much more on my part than switching to the mylar dots. I would like to have the lexan tinted on the borders, but I can't justify costs associated with finding someone locally to do that.

Thanks

Going through the parts that are BOd, I do not see the hinges on this list.

Downforce, did you try this cover with the OEM hinges on a Targa car?

I cant see how they will work with mine.

Anyone with a Targa car installed this yet?

More on the above.

The hinge for a targa car and a coupe is a different part number.

The coupe part number (1997) can be seen on this PAGE, listed as Part 9. The corresponding part for a Targa (02) is on this PAGE, listed as parts 10 and 11 for left and right

Anyone have any more info?

BioBanker: I will send you a bracket for you. I have around 3 sets of OEM brackets that I can spare for the engine cover and after that no more. Wait for Monday so I can send one to you. Thanks

nsxpowered said:
BioBanker: I will send you a bracket for you. I have around 3 sets of OEM brackets that I can spare for the engine cover and after that no more. Wait for Monday so I can send one to you. Thanks

I recieved my cover. I also tried to use my targa hardware and I thought I was retarded. Couldnt get it to work!:biggrin:
I could really use the hardware from a non targa if you have it available.Thanks
Paul M
I also didnt recieve the weatherstrip I ordered.The one from my Targa engine cover fits

The cover does look awesome!! Like it should have come from factory!!!

Peter, you got mail. I decided to install it and I'm running into the same issue.

Meanwhile...I installed the RWG from Downforce. It was very easy to install...only 7 philip screws to remove/install.

Last edited:
NRG said:
1. NRG - light tint lexan
2. Biobanker - light tint lexan
3. NSXROC - medium tint lexan
4. Paul M - light tint lexan
5. BruceWayne - t-nsx - light tint lexan
6. Shumdit (pending pics of the colored lexan/mesh options!)
7. rbirling (custom frp version) - clear lexan, with double panes, on FRP painted black
8. Vega$ NSX - mesh
9. IsR - light tint lexan
10. nchhotu - clear tint lexan

/=======================

Waiting List:
11. 92NSX declined.
12. IsR moved to the top list since QWKSLVR change his mind.
13. nchhotu moved to the top list since Oyagi change his mind.
14. taf
15. byronj - light lexan
16. DVDoughboy - light tint lexan targa
17. ChrisNSX
18. lutera
19. Carl Ramsey
20. DDankew

Does anyone know what's happening for #11 -> 20? I e-mailed a week ago but no response yet.

I decided to let the engine cover sit on top of the engine cover for some pictures in daylight. Wow! Just amazing product from Downforce. I was driving around without an engine cover, and I felt it was so naked and ghetto looking. Now, I'm very happy with this engine cover, especially the 3 piece lexan windows.

Last edited:
I should have some tape coming in by Wednesday hopefully. I did get some other samples of the black foam tape and it looks promising. I will get on it now.
Thanks,
Peter

Tapes: I just tried a new thick clear double sided tape which actually looks pretty good. Because it is thick it can be pressed and force the wrinkles out unlike the paper thin mylar tape I used. There is also that foam tape. I can't take pictures because it's too dark so let me do it tomorrow and I will post. When every gets approval on the 1-5 list I will then begin manufacturing the covers with that certain adhesive. Thanks.

lutera: Sorry my office staff was gone for the week and I was stuck at home doing my duties as a mid wife. I want to make sure the first 10 are satisfied before moving on. The first 5 had some rough rides on our organization so I need to see what went wrong to avoid more problems. We should be done very soon once we get this thing ironed out.

Last edited:
BioBanker: Sorry not yet. I'm searching through my parts bin looking for it. As far as I know it, I have 3 sets of hinges which are all spoken for already. I will send it to you this week for sure, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks Peter! I would be interested in those clear double sided tapes instead of the dot ones. As being part of the first 5 guinea on a new product, it's well worth it. We hope to provide feedback so you can make the product 110% satisfaction. I'll be more than happy to take more close-up pictures of them.

nsxpowered said:
I should have some tape coming in by Wednesday hopefully. I did get some other samples of the black foam tape and it looks promising. I will get on it now.
Thanks,
Peter

Tapes: I just tried a new thick clear double sided tape which actually looks pretty good. Because it is thick it can be pressed and force the wrinkles out unlike the paper thin mylar tape I used. There is also that foam tape. I can't take pictures because it's too dark so let me do it tomorrow and I will post. When every gets approval on the 1-5 list I will then begin manufacturing the covers with that certain adhesive. Thanks.

lutera: Sorry my office staff was gone for the week and I was stuck at home doing my duties as a mid wife. I want to make sure the first 10 are satisfied before moving on. The first 5 had some rough rides on our organization so I need to see what went wrong to avoid more problems. We should be done very soon once we get this thing ironed out.

The black foam tape you have suggested sounds promising. I can’t wait to receive them. When you send out the foam tape, is there anyway you could include the mylar dots too? I am just thinking if the foam tape doesn’t work out, I can fall back using the mylar dots.

By the way, I still can’t figure out how to mount the engine cover stay. (I have a 92). Do I use the existing bracket from my factory engine cover? I tried to use the existing bracket, but it seemed too big to use with the DF engine cover. Please advice on this.

nsxpowered said:

Thanks Peter! Didn't mean to pester you :wink:

Back