• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce DF-R side scoop shoot

Downforce DF-R side scoops and wing

Downforce makes some nice stuff and the DF-R scoops are simply knockouts. I think they make the rear more muscular without going widebody.

Received the DF-R wing, added it also and took some pics:

Before-
B4close.jpg

After-

Afterfar.jpg

Before-

B4rearclose.jpg

After-

Afterrearclose.jpg

Closeup.jpg

Doorrear.jpg

Doormiddle.jpg

RWG.jpg

RWG2.jpg

30 degrees when I shot these. I like the wisp of exhaust on the first and the swirl tool combined:

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DF hood coming soon...

Last edited:
Looks good. The only thing I would have done was paint the mesh flat black

Curt, 420 AM est and you are posting up photos? Nice all-nighter! :tongue:

I like those - especially how far the side vents protrude out. Aggressive looking. Thanks for photos.

Curt, 420 AM est and you are posting up photos? Nice all-nighter! :tongue:
I'm having right rotator cuff surgery Tuesday AM. Due to the physical requirements to do this mod, if I don't do it now I might not be able to do it for 2-3 months post-op.

While I was working in the garage I found and enjoyed a Modelo that a new old friend left there! :smile:

Looks good. The only thing I would have done was paint the mesh flat black

Instead of the gloss black finish that they are? The flash kinda washed them out a little.

I really like this mod. Subtle and functional.

How hard was it to do this? I remember just installing my DF intake scoop was a pain!

I'm having right rotator cuff surgery Tuesday AM. Due to the physical requirements to do this mod, if I don't do it now I might not be able to do it for 2-3 months post-op.

While I was working in the garage I found and enjoyed a Modelo that a new old friend left there! :smile:

Instead of the gloss black finish that they are? The flash kinda washed them out a little.

Rotator cuff surgery and you were able to get you hands in there to remove the bolts? Jesus... the last time I did this swap it almost CAUSED me to need rotator cuff surgery!

Love the look... may have to do this... I just dread the install. Once is enough for me.

Love the look... may have to do this... I just dread the install. Once is enough for me.

You did it before- you know the trick. What makes it faster/ more tolerable is removing that vent/louver piece. You gain about 1/2" which is huge in that tight space- which you know.

The only way that I noticed this was that the first one I did was already loose from the PO putting mesh screen over the louvers. I was able to unscrew the 2 small screws on the back side of the scoop and swing it out of the way pivoting the vent out of the way on a stud at the top. If the small screws were tight, a 90 degree screwdriver would break them loose and hand loosen from there. Lots of hand-loosening in this cavity for sure but if you don't have one of these in your toolbox you should (not the CD provided for reference, the screwdriver!):

screwdriver.jpg

You earn a living with your hands so obviously you have good hands. Use small channel locks and just hook the flower nut like an oil filter wrench and manipulate it. Once I learned the trick of the louver, literally the second side took 25 min- counting sucking the gravel out of the sideskirts...

Against Cozmo's car, these would have been more visually effective but you just missed the boat on that one. :frown: Against your new black maybe not so much, but on a lighter car like yellow or red they really POP.

Shot down to Mike's Car Wash for a quick cleanup and daylight pics:

rear.jpg

Outright.jpg

outleft.jpg

fullside.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. And I suspect more efficient too as it will be able to direct more air.

Now cut that sagging cross bar in the front fender and put the same kind of mesh to protect the radiator. Will give it matching aggressive look and it is functional.

Good luck with the surgery.

Very nice indeed. And I suspect more efficient too as it will be able to direct more air.

Hey Hrant!

IMHO a better fit and probably better function with the Cantrell AIS

Now cut that sagging cross bar in the front fender and put the same kind of mesh to protect the radiator. Will give it matching aggressive look and it is functional..

Thanks so much for the idea, Hrant,! I can get closer to the '02 look without changing the whole bumper by losing or darkening the crossbar. Then move the Blinder emitters to the top of the opening or paint them black and leave them where they are.

Finally, a "cheap" mod. :biggrin:

Constructive comments:

-lose the sagging from cross bar in the grill, or black it out if you can't so it will at least draw less attention.

-get more aggressive skirts to match the CF scoops, MH comes to mind

-rear NSX-R wing would look nice if exposed CF to match the scoop, maybe one fo the newer ones that have the nice upward curvature

-black out the rear end above the blodi diffuser like oem.

McLovin' the wheel choice and the stance/drop is perfect!!!! :cool:

Constructive comments:

-lose the sagging from cross bar in the grill, or black it out if you can't so it will at least draw less attention.

-get more aggressive skirts to match the CF scoops, MH comes to mind

-rear NSX-R wing would look nice if exposed CF to match the scoop, maybe one fo the newer ones that have the nice upward curvature

John: Thanks for the critique. Did I answer your inquiry into the degree of difficulty?

Yep, new design CF R-Wing is next along with the vented R hood painted red but with exposed CF in the vent area much like Dhalsim's. I'll probably wind up with an East Coast version of his well-sorted car. I think that those will give a good balance of enough/ not too much CF.

If not, well, we'll mod some more. :rolleyes:

Yup, read your difficulty rating and I'm rightfully scared. :frown:

If you're on the lookout for a R wing, I do have one from HSC that fits really well that I'm selling in the spring once I get the car out of storage and my GT wing put on for the track.
:smile:

Curt, looking good! I have been wanting to see some better pics of those side scoops.
A carbon R wing would really look good. Like Oyagi suggested, I blacked out my front cross bar with some black vinyl and think it makes the front end look so much better and cleaner.
Oh, and of course, I love the diffuser!:tongue:

Yup, read your difficulty rating and I'm rightfully scared. :frown:

You possibly misunderstood. If you don't take the vent/louver off the stock scoop and swing it out of the way it is a beeeotch. If you move the louver to create more hand/wrist space it is duck soup.

The first side took me 3 hours... I stopped partway, went inside and searched (really!) and read DrVolkl's posts about his experience. Since I did not have a 22mm wrench and since Autozone was closed at midnight, I was forced to look at other processes which resulted in the one detailed above.

The second side, no sh**, was a 20 minute affair from jack up to jack down. That louver piece queers the deal if you leave it in place. If you loosen it and swing it out of the way your family will not stage an intervention after seeing your wrists. They will however, stage an intervention if they discover what CF parts cost.

Mine have not, that is why I still have access to the outside world. :biggrin:

I can't say I'm a fan. :frown: Maybe if it was color matched Red like the rest of the car, it might look good?

Looks good and those wheels are hot!

I was also thinking it would look nicer with the exposed CF wing. I want to do this mod but I am wondering if your wheels tie it in nicer and might not look as good on mine. Well if not I could always paint them red as another suggested.

It may be the transfer to photo, but unusually for DF products the weave deosn't look particularly regular. Maybe given the color coded (and good) looks of your NSX, it might be worth considering color coding?

Are they Works rims and if yes, what sizes please?

Nicely balanced looking NSX!

regards,

I can't say I'm a fan. :frown: Maybe if it was color matched Red like the rest of the car, it might look good?

I understand that you aren't down but am I little surprised since you are a little younger than I.

I was color-matched w/ chrome wheels as in my avatar before the dark advans. I would probably not have done it if I was still on Chromies but the wheels are steering this car- appropriately enough.

With the addition of a DF CF R wing and hood like Dhalsim's you might feel differently. Frankly, if I were going to paint them I wouln't have bought them- too much cost without showing the construction. Maybe DF should offer them in FRP too. I wonder if you need different molds for CF and FRP?

Looks good and those wheels are hot!

I was also thinking it would look nicer with the exposed CF wing. I want to do this mod but I am wondering if your wheels tie it in nicer and might not look as good on mine. Well if not I could always paint them red as another suggested.

Thanks, Dhalsim since I was following your general look. As expressed above, I agree that they might not look the same against chrome. Chrome is enough bling all by itself.

It may be the transfer to photo, but unusually for DF products the weave deosn't look particularly regular. Maybe given the color coded (and good) looks of your NSX, it might be worth considering color coding?

Are they Works rims and if yes, what sizes please?

Nicely balanced looking NSX!

I think that the weave looks off due to all of the curves? I'm no CF expert but this seems like a tough piece to cast.
They're Advan RS wheels, 17x8 (37) 18x10 (35). There's another set for sale in the FS:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128703

Back