• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dragon Sneak Peek

I suppose if there was road construction/widening going on, it would close. Mudslides maybe? I checked out the official Dragon site just now and there's no news about any closures. A fellow gearhead was up there last weekend and he reported nothing unusual other than empty roads everywhere. :biggrin: <--And that's a great thing.

The reason I ask is that there is quite a bit of construction in the area. I found this story about some of it.

Cheoah River set for rebirth
Rushing waters return in fall under new flow regime
By MORGAN SIMMONS, [email protected]
February 21, 2005
For decades, whitewater paddlers and fishermen have stared at the steep, boulder-choked channel of the Cheoah River and dreamed of rushing water.
Located in the mountains of western North Carolina near Robbinsville, the river for half a century has been diverted through a pipe at Santeetlah Dam to produce hydroelectricity, leaving barely enough water downstream to form rivulets and pools.
This winter, after five years of intense negotiations, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission issued a new 40-year license for four dams - Santeetlah, Cheoah, Calderwood and Chilhowee - owned by Tapoco, a subsidiary of Alcoa Aluminum Inc. The dams, which date back as far as 1919, provide power for Alcoa's aluminum plant in Blount County.
The FERC license calls on Alcoa to begin releasing water below Santeetlah Dam starting in September. Under the new flow regime, the Cheoah River will receive enough water on a continuous basis to jump-start the entire food chain, everything from stoneflies to smallmouth bass.
The license also requires Alcoa to provide 16 to 18 days of whitewater a year for canoeing, kayaking and commercial rafting. As part of the re-licensing package, U.S. Highway 129, which parallels the Cheoah River, is to be widened with roadside pull-offs, and the U.S. Forest Service is expected to build public access areas at the top and bottom of the nine-mile whitewater run.

If anyone's looking to share a room, I've got some Subaru guys looking as well. And if anyone still hasn't booked a room and is planning on staying overnight, get on it! :smile:

If they widen the road, are they going to make it crappy and level?? :frown:

Haste said:
From what I've read I don't think the part that they're widening will be the Dragon part. :cool:

Good. That would be tragic to destroy such a cool road.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late entry to this. I scheduled vacation time so I can caravan with the Orlando group up to Atlanta, stay overnight at the hotel with the group, and chill with TitaniumVtec in TN. However, I live in Miami, I see that the Orlando group is leaving at 0800. I do not get out of work until 2200. This is going to be a problem for me. Unless I drive up when I get out of work, plan on getting to Orlando by 0200 and staying in a hotel to get a few hours sleep before meeting up with you guys.

I need to marinate on this for a bit. Either way, count me in for the Dragon. I would rather not miss out on this one. Is ANYONE coming up from Miami?

Thanks

I have the hotel room reserved for Atlanta.

Still thinking of what to do regarding the Orlando caravan.

Hmmm :confused:

I am curious, with all the organization of this event, won't the local law enforcement be paying you all a visit?

NetViper said:
I am curious, with all the organization of this event, won't the local law enforcement be paying you all a visit?

Nothing to worry about really. A number of car and bike clubs make yearly pilgrimages to the Dragon. It's doubtful seeing a large number of cars one weekend will send the local law enforcement into a tizzy. We're not there to race or break the law. We're there to enjoy the scenery! :)

Welcome another NSX! I'm estimating twenty people driving 7 models: NSX, Miata, WRX, M3, WRX STi, Elise, and Evolution.

So, are there just a couple of NSX's and then a batch of other crazy car guys and gals??

Here's a list of NSX Prime folks coming out:

• TitaniumVtec
  • BladesNSX
  • Mirroredshades
  • todddejag

Week to go and I'm getting excited. Don't forget to tech inspect your car! :biggrin:

This should be fun. Meeyatch1, wish you could make it, I wouldn't mind meeting you in person.

Anyone have any idea how cold it will be during those days there? I Jamaican, so I wuss out in the cold :tongue:

BladesNSX said:
This should be fun. Meeyatch1, wish you could make it, I wouldn't mind meeting you in person...

Well, with any luck I will be there. Right now I am planning on attending. :)

Back