• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DRIVER DEVELOPMENT: Car Control (For those looking to improve their craft)

Braking late, hitting apexes, and powering out of corners: The goal of driving a car quickly requires keeping the tires at their limit at all times. Having good car control is a crucial skill in the development of a driver to not only drive a car fast, but also to have the ability to get up to speed quickly in a new car and on new tracks. However, without self control and discipline, having good car control can actually work against you.

For those who want to improve their craft as a driver, this is a great read to understand more about car control and how it's an important tool for a driver to make a car go fast:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3519/DRIVER-DEVELOPMENT-Car-Control.aspx

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Great job Billy !

Immediately came to mind... Anyone remember, or ever check out, any of the Speed Secrets books, by Ross Bentley?

Its almost as if he (Ross) and stuntman are from the same camp. Nice article!

Thanks Billy.
This has been my biggest tracking problem. After 10 years of tracking I was thing about stopping after my last HPDE event. You address part of the problem about HPDE club rules and myself.

Adjusting to the next level #!&#.

Good stuff, Billy! Thanks.

I hate to see your comments about HPDE, since that's me: very conservative, but objectively, I hear what you are saying. At least Chin Motorsports does have fairly distinct delineations between novice and intermediate, and intermediate and advanced, with a very high standard for advanced. Lord knows the advanced group is very, very accomplished so there might be a higher tolerance for seat time as you describe it. (Disclaimer: I am not at this point advocating on Chin's behalf condoning Billy's position.)

I can so see the under/refined/over categories. I can fall into all of them in one day. I usually start out as under and drive most of the day under, then concentrate and end up sorta refined, then try to go even faster and end up over (or at least over driving, if not actually being super comfortable as an "over-developed" driver). And what you say is stunningly apropos: my fastest (and I'd bet everyone's) laps were dancing around that "refined" slip angle: pushing it but not too far over the limit. At least these days I spend less time "under" than in years past. (And yes, I realize I'm mixing "under/refined/over" DRIVING and DRIVERS. It is our goal to become refined DRIVERS, with the ability to both recognize and execute when we are on either side of REFINED.)

High praise due when a driver can be on that "refined" line using optimal slip angle for all corners of a single lap. Since it's probably not possible to get close to that perfect lap unless your last name is Senna and your first name is Ayrton.

Thank you for sharing, Billy. Everyone I know who is vaguely into driving fast/track days/etc has sent me the link sometime today. It's a hit! Congratulations!!!

Fantastic read Billy, well written, impressive articulation of somewhat difficult subjects within the addictive realm of learning to drive at the limit! How about an article on car setup? Or rather, learning to become a development driver, building upon the skills necessary to identify handling traits and what changes available to us will influence them? ie. tire pressure, damper adjustment, spring rate and spring rate bias, alignment, sway bar changes, Aero, etc. -you know, stuff that a good HPDE/TT driver has at their disposal from the basics up to data acquisition and adjustable LSD's. Maybe that stuff is common knowledge but it would be nice to hear from an accomplished driver on that subject.

I started at 25 with a 5 day racing school in FF2000 after doing several HPDE's in my sports car. While it was the most costly way to further develop my car control skills it was also the most beneficial in my personal experience - a real investment. If you pick the right school, it can be very rewarding as they will have personalized instruction and will always be encouraging you to find "the limit" - learning to identify discrepancies between your perceived limit and the cars limit....and you get to do it in somebody else's racecar! Other than racing schools and car control clinics, we are left to HPDE/TT in our NSX's to go about improving as drivers and learning these fantastic sports cars. I agree 100% with your assessment of the HPDE environment, and again, I think if you pick the right event organizer and the right track - you CAN explore the limit and try different things like various amounts of trail braking, late braking vs. less braking and more entry speed, inducing oversteer on purpose to see where and how the car lets go, etc. but obviously should be done on a corner/track with plenty of clear run off and never attempted with another driver close by.

Sorry for ranting on but I find articles like yours inspiring. I think driving IS an art form, and as such it is interpretationaly-based: two drivers may do different things with the same canvas, brush, and pallet. Thats where I can see the benefit of one-on-one driver coaching, delving into comfort zone analysis, improving the ability to recall what the car is doing and where, and even sports psychology. To do this for a living- race cars, develop cars, win races, and share with all who are willing to listen, while always learning more is something most of us dream of. Keep writing and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

liftnot - Karting is a great way to stay sharp at driving, but because they don't have sprung chassis. You lose a very important aspect that softly sprung 'sports cars' have which greatly affects how the car responds, especially for car control.

SlipAngle79 - Thanks for sharing and your thoughts. I'm glad you enjoyed the article

Part 2 is now up:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...es-(For-those-looking-to-improve-their-craft)

Last edited:
Billy, one thing I have been trying to get better at is high-speed turns. I feel comfortable catching the car in 60-70 MPH turns but when they get above 80, I start losing nerve. Is it the same feel at 50 MPH as it is a 90 MPH? For example, I know I should be able to go through Sebring 1 at around 90 MPH, but anything over 80 MPH and survival instincts win over desire to drop lap times. I've been trying to roll off the brakes a dozen feet sooner at a time, and so far I've been better at carrying speed, more consistently, but I still know I'm leaving lots of time out there.

So, does a car react the same when it starts getting out of shape at 90 MPH vs slower, besides things just happening faster? More prone to over- or understeer than at slower speeds? I would guess there's less ability to transfer weight to the rear with the throttle the faster you go. Anyways, lemme know. BTW, thanks for the recent posts, they are awesome.

(I'll post a link to a vid and solicit feedback on my most recent personal best in my Track Rat Miata in the General Motorsports section since there's no NSX content, but I respect the opinion of the trackers here on Prime. Thanks.)

The feeling can vary due to a number of factors, but typically the faster you go, the sooner you want to catch a slide. I would suggest getting a wing or even an NSX-R wing installed for track days, the added rear downforce and stability will greatly improve your confidence in the higher speed corners and allow you to push the car harder.

It will make the rear more forgiving and you'll feel more of a safety 'cushion' at/near the limit instead of continuing to slide without warning.

I really appreciated your article and I must admit that when driving my NSX on a track, I'm definitely in the "under" category.
This comes of course from my own limitations but also I believe from the fact that it's very difficult to catch the car when you pass the limit.
The setup of the car must also play a big role as for my NSX at least the car typically understeers once it has settled in the curve and more power only generates more understeer at least on a dry surface.
Many years ago, I used to drive a little RWD Fiat Coupe on ice and it was a pleasure to hold it at a 30° drift angle for as long as I could.
An instructor here in France said that I should come to one of their drift classes and after reading your article, I'm well tempted to watch the scenery again through my side window!

Back