• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition racing with Kip.

Hi Guys,
Sorry I have not been updating everyone with Kip's racing this year, but we have been very busy. So far this year Kip has run two SCCA National events both of them being doubles (two races per weekend). The first event was @ Thunderhill the end of March and Kip won both days. The next event was the end of May in Seattle (very wet) Kip also won both days after a couple protests from his unhappy competitors. This weekend we are racing @ the SCCA June Sprints @ Road America in Wisconsin. I will try to post some updates over the week end. Again sorry for not posting more. Cheers, Shad

We have built Kip's car to match the SCCA STO class rules. This class has two ways to classify cars #1 is SCCA World Challenge built cars with the SCCA Pro racing VTS (Vehicle Technical Spec) sheet. #2 is cars built to the STO class rules which are very similar to the World Challenge rule but are different from car to car. We went and raced a World Challenge event so our car would have a current VTS sheet from SCCA Pro Racing. I did not get SCCA Pro racing to list some of the parts on our car (hood, trunk, rear bumper, rear valance/difusser) that we had on it when we raced World Challenge. Our competition in Seattle was very in tune with the rules and made us aware of stuff we had missed in the VTS sheet. For the race in Seattle we removed some parts on the car to make them happy. Kip still lapped the competition in the rain with less parts on the car and on a track he has never bin to before. We have now had the VTS sheet updated and we are racing the car this weekend with everything installed. Cheers, Shad

congrats for the success, do you have the link of Kip's driving at Pacific Raceways? Would like to see it as personal reference and enjoyment. :biggrin:

Grats on the good results so far!

Looking forward to seeing Kip tear it up at RA this weekend will have video camera in hand.

So nice to see you guys winning and doing all this travelling,the payoff for all us coach potatos is bragging rights.:cool:

Anyone know their schedule today at RA? I'd like to stop by as I can't make it tomorrow. When I check the june sprints schedule it now only shows sta and sun. Are you guys racing at all on sunday because I could make it out there then also?

Kip qualified 2nd today at a 2.22 which is hauling. Sat morning another qualifying session then the race in the afternoon. The STO class is awesome what a great mix of car marques...Vipers,F430's,GT3's,Z06's etc Kip was right there on top. The Driving Ambition NSX is unreal what a detailed job Shad did on this thing. Have tons of video and pictures to sort through will post later this weekend.

http://www.scca.com/documents/Club_Events/10-sprints/Gr 1 Qual 1.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
We are the quickest in STO, Courtney in the Viper was running slicks and they are not legal for STO. We had some trouble in qualifying and blew the ignition fuse on the first lap and lost our chance @ getting some clean laps. We have one more qualifying session in the morning and hope to improve our time. We also hope the weather holds out for the race. We had trouble yesterday in practice and the ignition igniter went bad and could not get one from Honda until after practice this morning. But John Vassos came to our rescue and bought us an igniter before the first practice (Thank you John!!!!!!!!!!!). Thanks Steven for posting the pictures and the updates, it was great to see you guys again. You are so lucky to have such a great track so close to you. Cheers, Shad

Way to go team DA and Kip!!! Must feel good to kick some ass on someone's else turf.

Last edited:
awsome to see the nsx at the top of that time sheet,some impressive cars.How bout that s2000 in 8th,he must be mucho boosted as well.

Yes great news and effort. I have seen the meticulous work that goes in preparing for these races, starting from a complete power wash - inside out ..... Given the last two performances, I am afraid soon the locals will start gunning for Kip if they can't find an arcane rule violation. Hopefully we will be celebrating sportsmanship.

Kip/Shad, make sure you have a rear video camera too just in case :wink:

Well Guys,
We had a very fun day, not the final results we were hoping for. But we all learned allot and are looking very forward to the SCCA Run-Offs back here in September. Kip went out in the morning qualifying season and put it on pole by over 1 second. In the race Kip took the early lead and was holding onto a small gap until the first full coarse cation. After the caution Kip got another good start and was leading until everything started to get hot (tires and turbo system). Joe Koenig in the very fast and nicely built V8 powered Fall-line BMW M3 was staying right with Kip. Joe made a very good last minute pass on Kip going into Canada Corner and with the full coarse caution coming out again for another crash the race ended under caution. Kip lost third gear but still thought that if the race had gone green again might have gotten another run on Joe in the BMW. Kip set a new race lap record and learned allot about racing at this level. We had allot of great people come out to visit and watch (John Vasos, Steven, and the other local NSX guys). We hope to see you guys back her in a couple months. Hopefully we can get Kip to the top step of the podium. Once I get home I will try to post some pictures, but Steven might post some sooner. Cheers, Shad

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3929

http://www.scca.com/documents/Club_Events/10-sprints/Gr 1 Provisional Race Results.pdf

Great job guys! I tried my hardest to get there but just couldn't make it. I'll put the race in sept. on my calender and be sure to make it to cheer you guys on. Keep up the hard work, it looks like it's paying off.

Very impressive guys!!!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Just want to thank Shad and Kip for letting us hang out with them all weekend it was a blast. To bad he didn't win the race but was clearly the fastest car all weekend long in STO and his car was the talk. If anyone has a chance to go see these guys race you need to they are the two nicest guys you would ever meet. After the race we went into town for a beer and all we over heard was man that NSX was fast as hell :biggrin: Here are a few pics and a small vid clip of the race. Check out the rubber Kip is laying down at the start it was turn 5 at RA then the WaToosh. Looking forward to the SCCA Run Offs in Sept to see you back here to take it Kip ! Shad thanks for the tee I need to call you and buy a few more everyone wants one. Man I still love the sound of a GT3 at full song:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4kVN3BRaJY

Last edited:
Back