• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electric Mini

So I got the chance to take an Electric Mini for a spin around the block. I have to admit, it was a fun but disturbing experience. The Mini folks had to rub it in and laugh at me as I sat in the car for a minute or two at first wondering if the thing was even on. The silence is what I found most disturbing. No noice! When you hit the gas I am expecting some engine growl as the speed increases. Nope just higher wind and road noise. Handled like a normal car, acceleration was pretty good. Braking, was, well....different. I never thought that the regenerative braking system would be THAT prevalent. I wonder if it's the same with Hybrids? But with an all electric car, you don't really need to hit the brake pedals when driving around town. Again I wonder if it's the same with the Tesla? Anyone in NSX land have a Tesla I can drive around in? :biggrin: Once you learn the cars braking points, you just let go of the gas and the car will slow down on its own. According to the guys there, once BMW is done with the R&D, most of the tech will be moved to a BMW 1-Series. Too bad IMO because its seems like an Electric Mini just fits. Here is a pic of the Mini and my NSX sitting behind it.

Attachments

• Electric Mini.jpg
    Electric Mini.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Isn't the electric version only available on a 2 year lease basis only?
I'm not a tree hugger by any means but do care about the world a little bit. But I don't know about paying $600 or $700 a month to lease an all electric Mini. (I can't recall the exact lease payment off the top of my head)

Of course, I'd have to move to Cali to even be eligible....whew....

I haven't driven a Tesla, but working a few blocks from their HQ in San Carlos I see them on the road all the time. When they're driving you get the usual wind and road noise, but "idling" at a stoplight they're pretty much silent. Indeed, groups representing blind people have started to complain that electric cars are dangerous because hard-of-seeing people can't hear them coming.

Of course, I'd have to move to Cali to even be eligible....whew....

Don't call it "Cali"

My daily driver is a 06 Prius and I've grown to love the breaks. The regenerative breaking kicks in right away to slow the car down and only if I floor the breaks do I get the pads to engage. After 118k miles, there is still plenty of meat left on my pads. The breaking power of both systems together is amazing compared to any car I've driven.

Isn't the electric version only available on a 2 year lease basis only?

From what I was told by the owner, initially it was a one year lease, then Mini decided to extend it to two years. It is still TBD if they will extend it past two years. Monthly he said was around $600-$700 ish.

My daily driver is a 06 Prius and I've grown to love the breaks. The regenerative breaking kicks in right away to slow the car down and only if I floor the breaks do I get the pads to engage. After 118k miles, there is still plenty of meat left on my pads. The breaking power of both systems together is amazing compared to any car I've driven.
my wife's daily driver is an '06 prius (ours only has 50k miles on it) and we love the quiet breaks, too. you're right about the braking - unexpectedly nice.

i would be very, very surprised if we don't have an electric-only car in our house over the next few years.

Back