• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Bay Cooling fan with CTSC

I THINK this fan was discontinued in later model NSXs so its superfluous.
I have not had any issues since removing mine for my CTSC install.

I know.. I know.. :)

Honda only had them installed between 91-94 MYs and in 95-05 MYs but only for Automatics.

The fan comes on when the "high" setting is activated on the radiator fan by the ECU. IIRC that's roughly 230F in coolant temps which is darn hot (I forget exactly when it is turned on but it is a failsafe)

I run at the track. I'd really love if my HKS F-Con computer to turn that fan on when my oil temps gets to around 240F. I have an oil cooler in the side vent so activating the OEM engine bay fan would promote a lot of positive airflow.

I'd love to know if anyone was able to fit this fan with a CTSC kit. It sounds like most people wouldn't bother haha

- - - Updated - - -

That little sucker (or blower? lol) pushes a lot of air

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fgJEe8XCpbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
I THINK this fan was discontinued in later model NSXs so its superfluous.
I have not had any issues since removing mine for my CTSC install.

Same for my SOS SC install.

No issues.

Fan doesn't even seem to make that much air to begin with and the big question I have is how the turbulent air from the underneath interacts with the fan...... I doubt it was tested.

Same for my SOS SC install.

No issues.

Fan doesn't even seem to make that much air to begin with and the big question I have is how the turbulent air from the underneath interacts with the fan...... I doubt it was tested.
The air feeding this fan is pulled from the side vent. What do you mean turbulent air from underneath?

so the NSX isn't a sealed engine bay. As u are driving there is turbulent air moving around in there from underneath.

1. is that enough to cool the engine bay down?
2. is it enough positive pressure where it would compete with the air that the fan is delivering? In other words is the electric fan even effective?

I'd think the fan would be of more use if if was on a radiator but into free space not so sure. The engine block will have a lot of heat in the metal and the fan isn't exactly directional. A motorbike has a fan directly on the radiator even though it's in the airstream more than less. I can't see an nsx engine bay fan doing all that much. Warm air rises and with slow driving such as in traffic will much improve? I think the coolant in the block cooled by the front radiator and fan is probably more useful?

Last edited:
I just got word from Nate at CT Engineering. It appears they did use to modify the fan long ago (before his time). He gave me some pointers on how to do so.

I understand what all you guys are saying. I also have my own theories that are a bit different and may or may not work. Only one way to test!

I will modify the fan shroud and i'll keep an eye on my oil cooler temps. If it runs cooler then I'll know it works.

Here's a pic of the oil cooler for those interested. It's not the perfect solution but I do have a duct in front of it which directs air from the vent directly into the cooler. I have also blocked off the air flow above the fender lining so all incoming air should come in via the side vent. We'll have to see...

My oil temps were north of 260F at NSXPO. Need to cool it down...

20131102_164710_zpsa29ad92b.jpg

Perhaps it's a idea to run a larger rear hatch scoop and add some channeling to the center of the engine.
Since the rear hatch scoop air doesn't really get directly in the factory setup.

Also perhaps running a smaller fan (thin) inside the fender itself between the duct and the hole.

What we've looked at here in the shop is how a under body plate can channel cooling towards the engine, for-example with NACA style ducting underneath.
Issue with that is the this air isn't exact very "clean" (dusty as-hell)

I do know when i'm underneath the F430 Scuderia or a Gallardo you can see that there are cooling passages.

RYU,
How are your oil temperatures? (have you noticed any increase in engine oil temperature?)
I've been playing around with the idea here of a modification of the supercharger oiling system but i'm yet to collect data on how hot that oil get's when under full load and heat-soak.

I plan to keep the fan in my setup as well. I'm running an oil cooler in the passenger vent and I think the fan will really help with evacuating the heat and stopping that pocket from becoming an oven.

If it doesn't work then I will switch to an oil to water cooler and run it inline with my w2a setup. I'll have to reevaluate my water pump if I do though.

I plan to keep the fan in my setup as well. I'm running an oil cooler in the passenger vent and I think the fan will really help with evacuating the heat and stopping that pocket from becoming an oven.

If it doesn't work then I will switch to an oil to water cooler and run it inline with my w2a setup. I'll have to reevaluate my water pump if I do though.
I'm nearing that point now of switching to a O2W setup since I have so much available cooling capacity in my coolant. I did not think about the water pump issue though. Good point. I will probably run it like how [MENTION=4799]DDozier[/MENTION] described in the thread above. Hopefully it won't be too much more strain in the water pump.

I'm of the same mindset on the side vent mounted O2A cooler. I think it's just heat soaking in there. The air flow is terrible in that compartment. The wheel well also creates a high pressure area at speed. Seems like a fan is necessary to promote air flow in there. Honda knew what they were doing...

Because a lot of air from the side vent exists the rear fender opening you have to direct the air from the side vent to the engine compartment with an air intake tube like the ones you can buy for the left side. If you have a chance to fit in a strong fan it...
My CTSC gets heatsoaked in traffic jam (no airflow). While the fan is not necessary for the stock engine it really makes sense for a CTSC car.

Prior to mine being yanked out for the ctsc, I never even seen my engine cooling fan run. I mean, even in summertime! What the hell controls it anyhow? A sensor in the engine bay?

Prior to mine being yanked out for the ctsc, I never even seen my engine cooling fan run. I mean, even in summertime! What the hell controls it anyhow? A sensor in the engine bay?

The engine bay fan is controlled by the radiator fan control unit, it comes on at the same time as the radiator fan goes to high. The control input is a separate coolant temp sensor on the engine.

Back