• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine code and TCS light

I am getting a check engine light and the TCS light on at the same time.

The only code is 41 (Heated O2 sensor - front bank).

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the TCS light going on along with this code. Neither the TCS light nor check engine light will go out without a clock reset - just incase anyone thinks I may have bumped the TCS button:smile:

I'll probably see if Acura will do the repair for the O2 sensor next month under TSB 98-031

I get a CEL & yellow TCS light lit sporadically & only when it's cold. Don't have a code reader to see what it is though. I have to pull the clock fuse too & then it goes away & stays away. Until I start it again a couple of weeks later & it's cold.

edit-mine doesn't go away with shut off & restart & by cold I mean cold weather like the past few weeks.

Tony F

Last edited:
I also get a CEL and TCS light at the same time about once a week or so. They will go off if I shut the car off and start it again. I have no clue what it is. I just replaced the speed sensor and I also have a main relay to put in. It does not effect the drivability at all.

TonyD said:
I've first seen this happen in about 50 degree weather in late November. The lights go out only after a reset with the clock fuse. They stay off until the car is again shutoff for a couple hours or longer and restarted.

Same here. I guess NSX O2 sensors don't like being chilly, at least not at first after sitting around a long while.

This happened to me last night when I started the car about to drive home from work and both the CEL and TCS lights popped on. I was afraid that something was wrong. Does replacing the 02 sensor actually fix this problem?

TonyD said:

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the TCS light going on along with this code. Neither the TCS light nor check engine light will go out without a clock reset - just incase anyone thinks I may have bumped the TCS button:smile:

I'll probably see if Acura will do the repair for the O2 sensor next month under TSB 98-031
see my posting in owner discussions. The service agent damaged an O2 sensor replacing a failed sensor and since then the TCS light remained on. An earlier search said this may be a low voltage trip resulting in the TCS coming on. Any other ideas and does the problem resolve with the changing of the O2 sensor. I'm awaiting a replacement from Japan.

TonyD said:
I've first seen this happen in about 50 degree weather in late November. The lights go out only after a reset with the clock fuse. They stay off until the car is again shutoff for a couple hours or longer and restarted.
That is interesting, when I changed to test pipes, I was working on removing the CEL. The mechanic who helped me explained to me that the CEL code is stored, so once it is on, it will either need to be reset by a code re-setter, pull the clock fuse, or the battery. It shouldn't just go away.

I guess there are differences between earlier OBD II and later OBD II.

turboburnernsx said:
I had the same problem for the past 2 years, never effected performance at all, but it does bug ya a little when your driving =)

I can't get away with ignoring this since it will fail the emissions inspection in PA. Resetting with the clock fuse leaves the OBDII in a not ready state which is also results in an inspection failure.

I'm headed off to India this afternoon:smile: and will try to get my free O2 sensor replacement from Acura when I return.
Perhaps I can convince them to replace both under warranty:biggrin:. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

TonyD said:

Yes, I have had this happen to me before. It was my 02 sensor that triggered the CEL and the TCS light. After I replaced the 02 sensor all went back to normal.

TonyD said:
I can't get away with ignoring this since it will fail the emissions inspection in PA. Resetting with the clock fuse leaves the OBDII in a not ready state which is also results in an inspection failure.

I'm headed off to India this afternoon:smile: and will try to get my free O2 sensor replacement from Acura when I return.
Perhaps I can convince them to replace both under warranty:biggrin:. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Keep us updated on how it goes. I just contacted a Acura dealer and they say they will only replace the 02 sensor if the car is under 7 years of age.

This is all very interesting. I just had a CT supercharger and CT headers installed. My TCS light comes on (and stays on) as soon as I make a turn... even coasting. (It clears if I restart the engine.) A couple days ago I got a CEL (P1486 Cooling System Malfunction). I thought it might have something to do with the CTSC install, but maybe it could be related to the Header install. (i.e. problem with the O2 Sensors, or the O2 sensor harness extension.)

I wonder if I can get a free O2 sensor on my BBSC'd '96 :D. They're hanging out in the engine bay since I have widebands in their bungs, giving me an error code. Only one bank is coding, I'm gonna swap the sensors and see if the code swaps too. Would an O2 simulator fix the O2 sensor heater error codes? If so, any recommendations for a good O2 simulator for the NSX? I can't see replacing the sensor to have it sit in the engine bay. Thanks!

Thank you for the info nsxtacey. I guess I might just have to grind them a bit to look into it.

You won't have to grind them at all. Just ask them to pull up TSB 98-031. It's also posted here on Prime in the FAQ. If your car has between 75K and 150K you also get new spark plugs, new coils and a free oil and filter change.

Did you ever get the service done? I have exactly the same problem on my '95 and it goes under the knife next Tuesday. CEL code 41 and TCS light.
I am going in armed with TSB98-031 and would really like to know if the 2 lights are due to the same root cause.

Tony,

You just need a new 02 sensor, the TCS light will reset too, once it is repaired. With the OBDII's I see the TCS light all the time. If the TCS light stays on and stores a code, then you can read the TCS light blinks and determine what is going on. The 1995 through 1997 models are covered under that TSB for emissions. It should all be N/C.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Did you ever get the service done? I have exactly the same problem on my '95 and it goes under the knife next Tuesday. CEL code 41 and TCS light.
I am going in armed with TSB98-031 and would really like to know if the 2 lights are due to the same root cause.

Davis Acura took care of the O2 sensor, replaced plugs, coil packs (ignition kit), and oil/filter change just a couple days ago - no charge. This was covered under TSB 98-031 (they refered to it as "emmissions extension")
The way the TSB reads, it looks like it should cover '95, '96 and '97 NSX's.

They needed to keep the car an extra day to order parts they didn't have in stock...

The TL loaner was fun to drive for two days...

Thanks Tony and Larry for the fast response!
I'll post my experience next week.
Sounds like it will be under the extended warranty.
regards

Thanks Tony and Larry for the fast response!
I'll post my experience next week.
Sounds like it will be under the extended warranty.
regards

As expected, all was covered under warranty. Took the dealer about 5 hours with the car. I printed out the TSB and left it on the passenger seat when I dropped it off:biggrin:

:mad: Friggin' CEL & TCS light. Yesterday evening I took the car out to get gas. Everything fine. Get ~100 ft down road & CEL & yellow TCS light on. I left the fuse alone since there is an Autozone right across from the gas station. They couldn't pull codes because there were only 2 people in store so no one can go out. In the course of running errands (car shut off & restarted a few times) last night the TCS light went out, but CEL stays on. This morning I go to Autozone (CEL still on) and get P1206, P1204, & P0300. I looked up the definitions and they are all misfires. However, the car runs fine and if you do pull the fuse and reset it, no more CEL.

Yesterday was almost warm in the evening. This never happens in the summer. I do not think it is an actual problem since pulling the fuse fixes it, until the next time I start it in cold weather, which usually means after a few weeks since I don't drive it much.

Any ideas?

I just dropped my 95 off at the dealer today for the CEL & TSC light issue... from the service records, all but one 02 sensor has been replaced so I'm hoping that is all that is wrong. Also getting a oil change and a bath.. wish me luck! God I already have separation anxiety! :( lol

Back