• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS disable

hi guys,
i need to bounce it off some knowledge here as i'm confused.
car is na2, 2000. i am due for a clutch so i am debating installing the 4.23 final drive which i have (converting to na1 dual clutch of course). according to sos, most of the time 4.23 conversion on na2 results in loss of power steering. today i decided to try how would it feel to have eps disconnected so i pulled the 'clock' fuse to disable it. only the 'tcs' and 'check' light came on (eps light was not lit but it does work with key on only) and it felt like steering feel was unchanged. ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it to me. The EPS fuse is the clock fuse (7.5) which is also connected to your ECU. Are you following me here? If you pull that fuse you will have engine issues as it controls your ECU circuit.

If you want to try driving without the EPS, go into the passanger footwell, remove the aluminum kick plate, disconnect the sub woofer and then remove one or all of the gang plugs into the EPS brain. This will kill the EPS, the EPS light will not go on in the dash, and you can leave the fuse intact.

apparently i was under impression the eps would be killed by the clock fuse as well. thanks for the advise, i will unplug the ecu.

It should be but your concern will be the ECU. Remember the EPS only works under 20mph, once above that your car reverts to a manual rack and pinion.

It should be but your concern will be the ECU. Remember the EPS only works under 20mph, once above that your car reverts to a manual rack and pinion.

No way! Are you sure????
PS: Another "easy" way to disable EPS is to undod the ground wire for the EPS system on the battery.

Yep. You can disconnect the ground to the rack frame that is located behind the battery. But your dash light will still be on.

I remember reading that the Zanardi has an EPS rack but that it's not enabled. I was toying with the idea of putting a manual rack in my 01 but if all it takes is to unplug it I'll go that way when the time comes(that time being when or if my EPS goes up in smoke).

Back