• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS failure

This weekend my EPS light came on when I started the car. The power steering shutdown so I was in manual steering mode. After searching NSXPRIME including the FAQs, forums, and the online early 90's service manual, I concluded that I was having the same the problem that the 97 model year had with moving steering wheel during startup. The fix is to remove the fuse to the clock for at least 10 seconds. This will reset the EPS diagnostic module and remove the error.

I have now had to do this several times. It works in all instances but sometimes the warning light comes back on (followed by the EPS shutdown) as soon as you turn the steering wheel and sometimes the fix works for the entire drive. In all cases, I made a point of not turning the wheels until the car was fully started and had a chance to idle for at least 15 seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what to do next? I am hoping that the EPS unit is not shot as that will be an expensive fix. I could bring the car in to a dealership so that they could view the errors codes using the Acura diagnostic tool but I am not always the most trusting of dealerships. I would really like to feel comfortable with the diagnosis so any suggestions on developing an independent analysis would be much appreciated.

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

Thanks Forums Nazi. Your diligence is always appreciated. I had come across these threads during my search of the forums which is where I found out the cost to replace the unit. What I am hoping to find out is other diagnostic possibilities before I put myself at the mercy of the dealer. I do not have the strongest feeling that they will replace the unit at no cost given that the car is six year old so I want to exhaust all other possibilities first.

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Arnis (edited 26 December 2001).]

This is a safety related Acura TSB. The dealership does not incur any cost in this reaplacement, as Acura picks up the tab including labor. If the service manager gives you grief, contact Acura directly. This was done on my 1995 with almost 60k on the clock.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

ncdogdoc,

That is fantastic news! Thank you so much. Based upon what I read in the troubleshooting section of the FAQs under "powersteering," I thought that it was only a model year 1997+ issue. Great news! Now I can stop worrying about this issue. Thanks again.

This site really is a wealth of information.

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

I had the same problem with my '96. I had received a letter several months earlier stating that Acura had extended the warranty on the control unit for 8 years. I don't remember mileage limits.

Mine was replaced for free in September.

I just picked up my NSX from Pohanka Acura in VA. The EPS control unit was replaced free of charge. They initially thought the warranty issue was only for 97+ vehicles but after pointing out the VIN number section of the TSB that I printed off the FAQ, they realized that my car was covered. Just wanted to say thank you to all those who participated in this thread... you saved me a pretty penny!

sorry to revive this old post but I was wondering how long it took for the dealer to replace the EPS control unit.. Actual labor time?

I was wondering if it's worth waiting for or not?

TIA

Spydee, what year is your car?
95? if so what was the car's build date?
Len

When my battery was nearly dead the eps keeps on coming up until I couldn't start the car anymore. It tried to tell me that something is wrong and the eps is off. Check your battery first. Just my two cents.

RE: EPS Failure

Here's the correct information/TSB number in case this should happen to anyone else, and it probably will. Be advised that I got this information from my local Acura Parts Dept. and that the Sevice Dept. was unaware of this TSB. It shows as a note when the replacement unit part number is looked up prior to being ordered.

Acura Service Bulletin # 99-028,applies to 1995-96 NSX-ALL, and is dated May 8, 2000.
Acura is extending the warranty on the EPS control unit to 8 years with no mileage limit, from the date of original sale. It applies only to the EPS control unit. All other components are warranteed for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Take note it is NOT the same TSB as the one listed in the FAQ which referes to a similiar problem on the 97 model.

It' s a 96 ... It falls under this TSB I checked with the dealer.. One other thing is that my car's EPS hasn't failed yet.. I am just changing it as a precaution before the campaign expires.

I literally just got the car 2 weeks ago!!

How long does the work actually take to complete when at the dealer?

Had mine replaced last month. The dealer (not Acura dlr) bought the part and replaced it in 20 minutes. Its plug-n-play! you could even DIY. Its real easy. Sorry I can't post the procedure as I don't have it.

From what i was told... its behind the glove box on 95's... here is a pic of mine... (I love the spiffy tester's comment)

Attachments

• eps-back.jpg
    eps-back.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,598
spyderman33 said:
Does it have to fail before they change it or will they do it as preventive maintenance?

Well the EPS went dead today.. I am not sure if it will be covered by the extended warranty since I think I am out of it.. Should I call the dealer first and see what they tell me or call Acura directly since I am pretty sure the extended warranty has expired..

this is a problematic unit. As I drove my 2003 with 48 miles out of the dealer, the unit had already failed. Marin Acura told me that the car had to be jumped (it was sitting in the show room for 4 months) and the unit might have failed when the car was jumped. :confused:

well I am out of the warranty.. My car's delivery date was 8/19/96 so 8 years would of been 8/19/04.. I am screwed by a few months..

anyone ever heard of anyone successfully having Acura honor the recall after the extension was over?

I did remove the clock fuse and re-install and I sparked the car up and nothing.. I moved the steering wheel around and still nothing.. I left it on for a few minutes but I know it will probably come back on eventually.. Has this fix ever caused the light to never turn back on?

spyderman33 said:
well I am out of the warranty.. My car's delivery date was 8/19/96 so 8 years would of been 8/19/04.. I am screwed by a few months..

anyone ever heard of anyone successfully having Acura honor the recall after the extension was over?
I have heard of quite a few cases where Acura performed repairs of various sorts under goodwill when a warranty had expired just a few weeks or months beforehand.

Of course, you won't know for sure until you take your car to the dealer and they take a look at it.

nsxtasy said:
I have heard of quite a few cases where Acura performed repairs of various sorts under goodwill when a warranty had expired just a few weeks or months beforehand.

Of course, you won't know for sure until you take your car to the dealer and they take a look at it.

Thanks Ken..

The EPS light did not come back on since I reset it.. I'm calling the dealer first thing tomorrow morning anyways..
I'll post back my results..

Julian

spyderman33 said:
Thanks Ken..

The EPS light did not come back on since I reset it.. I'm calling the dealer first thing tomorrow morning anyways..
I'll post back my results..

Julian

Well the light did come back on and I took it to the dealer... Of course, the part was not in stock so they ordered it and much to my surprise, ACURA goodwilled the repair even though I was out of the warranty by a few months!

So today I have no more EPS light on... :)

Thanks everyone for their help...

Glad I found this post. Today the EPS light came on and drove manual steering until I found the 'temp fix' with the clock fuse from you all. It is back to power, but now I'm reading that it will most likely reappear. My NSX is a '95, and way past the 8 year warranty. Thinking wishfully, but have any of you had permanent luck after resetting the fuse? Or will I be taking it to the dealer soon? Thansx always for your helpful posts!

All depends. You can check with any dealership and give them your vin and they will cross reference the database to see if your unit has been updated or not. If it has, you are looking for other issues. If not, they may goodwill you a new unit. These units are not cheap as the dealership is looking for around $2300 for it. If it does need to be rebuilt, it can be. I can personally attest to BrianK and D1Guy doing excellent work. Ask me how I know.

Back