• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS indicator on

I just took mine in this morning and now it seems to be off. My problems all started once I picked up my car after having the audio system upgraded to tvs and amps.

Eiffel reset it and it has not come back on yet.

Have you had the voltage of your battery checked?

Help. So my EPS light has been coming on for the past few months... I tried resetting the clock fuse and it would fix the problem for awhile but then it would come back. Noticed the problem happens more whenever I start out in reverse. Anyway, I tried Malibu Rapper's advice and replaced the battery - but the problem still persists. Besides replacing the EPS unit - could it be a problem with the power steering unit/motor? I don't want to pay $1500+ to replace the unit and still have the problem...If I do need to replace the unit - the cheapest place to buy it is at the dealership?
Thanks.

You can have your average tv repair guy fix the control board. I did my own. The relays can be matched up through a semi-conductor warehouse. All 95 eps controlers will fail. The parts are easy to get. You need to replace to relays on the mother board. If your not a pro, have someone do it for you. The generic relays are $7 each. E mail me for part #. [email protected]

Help. So my EPS light has been coming on for the past few months... I tried resetting the clock fuse and it would fix the problem for awhile but then it would come back. Noticed the problem happens more whenever I start out in reverse. Anyway, I tried Malibu Rapper's advice and replaced the battery - but the problem still persists. Besides replacing the EPS unit - could it be a problem with the power steering unit/motor? I don't want to pay $1500+ to replace the unit and still have the problem...If I do need to replace the unit - the cheapest place to buy it is at the dealership?
Thanks.

same here mate...

i have replaced the speed sensor 3 months ago and the EPS light went off.. but since last weekend, when i put Reverse Gear, the EPS went on again... really upset me! :frown:

then i tried to reset the Clock, but it came out again... hmmmm...

what's wrong with Reverse gear anyway?? :frown:

i noticed my eps is on and of course i dont have power steering. i'm just wondering does a 95 model still have a recall on this power steering? i called acura dealership last saturday and they told me there is a recall and it wont cost me to change this and they ordered the part. This tuesday am i got a call from them again hoping the part is available instead they told me it will cost me $1200. and $65. to install. they wanted me to pay half the price and told me the recall is only good for 8 yrs. i'm also wondering why did'nt they change it before since i'm having my car serviced by them and i only have 36000 miles on it. help

what yrs did the recall exist for?

Malibu Rapper,

I was also pulling the clock fuse to reset the system. That trick worked early on, but then I'd lose power steering again after a few days. I continued doing this for a couple of weeks, then the power steering would go out almost immediately as soon as I gave steering input.

Since I replaced the EPS unit and module, I have not had power steering problems, so in my case, it wasn't an electrical problem. :)

-Randy

How much did that cost you?

The recall was for 1997. It was a coding error in the EPS system that caused the system test to fail if the steering wheel was moving at all during the start up internal test.

Since you have a 1998, it is not covered. You can drop a note to BrianK though, since he repairs them at a very reasonable cost:). Also, I beleive ZenNSX has a rebuilt unit for sale in the NSX Parts for Save forum.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi,

I had this problem a few years back. The failing part are the relays in the control unit. If you take the control unit box apart you can remove and replace the relays, there are 2 of them and they are easy to read, and easy to read the part numbers off.

They cost about $5 each, and any one handy with a soldering iron will be able to manage it.

Chris

After replaced new battery,the EPS light only went off a short time and the problem came back.

At the end, I had the mechanic replaced speed sensor since it was bad and also had the computer repaired (no need to replace new one) and ever since the EPS light is gone.

To keep this thread going, it just happened to me. The car had been sitting for 12 hours so I started it cold. As soon as it caught, the steering wheel moved left (counter clockwise) all the way to the stop and the EPS light came on. All by itself. It wasn't just the light coming on but the PS was gone too. This is on a 97'. I'll try pulling the clock fuse but I've not read anywhere on this thread where the steering wheel did the ghost move. Thoughts?

Battery seems to be fine and alternator is charging. I have had to jiggle the wire on the blower the past couple of days to get the AC going. I had to do it again today but that was AFTER the mysterious steering wheel dance. Thanks in advance.

OK, update time. I pulled the clock fuse and left it out of the car for 15 minutes. Just to make sure that the circut had cleared and that there was no "memory" of whatever casued my EPS to shut down. I reinserted the fuse (it was fine) and noticed it arced a little as I reinstalled it. So a live circut even when the car is off. No issue though.

I started the car and let it idle for 15 minutes so that the ECU could recalibrate. I did not touch the throttle or steering wheel as it idled and recalibrated. After 15 minutes I turned the car off and restarted it again to "set" the calibrations. Everything is back to normal. EPS light is off, power steering is working and the engine purrs like it should.

Don't know what triggered this the first time and will keep a wary eye the next time. if yours should act up, try this first and remember to let the car idle with no throttle input for 10-15 minutes so that your ECU does the right thing.

Back