• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS indicator on

i noticed my eps is on and of course i dont have power steering. i'm just wondering does a 95 model still have a recall on this power steering? i called acura dealership last saturday and they told me there is a recall and it wont cost me to change this and they ordered the part. This tuesday am i got a call from them again hoping the part is available instead they told me it will cost me $1200. and $65. to install. they wanted me to pay half the price and told me the recall is only good for 8 yrs. i'm also wondering why did'nt they change it before since i'm having my car serviced by them and i only have 36000 miles on it. help

I feel your pain. My 95's power steering also went out at the beginning of the year. Being that it was no longer under warranty, even after the warranty was extended by Acura, I was not looking forward to paying a considerable amount of $$$$ for the work. I lucked out royally by keeping an eye out on the NSXPrime Parts Forum ;) and getting my hands on a used unit from a '97 at a considerably lower price after having to "endure" manual steering for almost half a year.

After all was said and done, I was not too thrilled that Acura was fully aware of deficiencies in the 95 EPS unit and didn't bother to recall or proactively replace them, instead relying on a warranty extension.

In your case, considering that the car is also out of warranty, half off of the price ain't that bad. At least your dealership is trying to meet you halfway. And only one hour of labor (I'm assuming since you said $65 for labor)!!!

-Randy

Did you recently disconnect your battery or had your battery drain on you? I had this light come on before and it came on a couple of times after I reset it by disconnecting the clock fuse under the hood. It seemed to come on when my battery wasn't feeling too well. One day I bought a Vector battery charger and ran the desulfization charge on it and my battery has been healthy ever since and the EPS light never came back on. I almost bought another EPS computer but I'm glad I waited it out.

I don't know why but the EPS light comes on for a lot of people after they have battery problems.

Malibu Rapper,

I was also pulling the clock fuse to reset the system. That trick worked early on, but then I'd lose power steering again after a few days. I continued doing this for a couple of weeks, then the power steering would go out almost immediately as soon as I gave steering input.

Since I replaced the EPS unit and module, I have not had power steering problems, so in my case, it wasn't an electrical problem. :)

-Randy

no my battery is in good shape and no signs of being weak. i'm planning to deal with the 1/2 price on parts. thanks for the feedback. just so curious about the parts price. could have gotten nice set of tires for that amount or change my timing belt. for an hour job i still think its a rip off. thanks guys.

APPLEBLUES said:
no my battery is in good shape and no signs of being weak. i'm planning to deal with the 1/2 price on parts. thanks for the feedback. just so curious about the parts price. could have gotten nice set of tires for that amount or change my timing belt. for an hour job i still think its a rip off. thanks guys.

Just curious, have you tried pulling the clock fuse for 10 seconds and then putting it back in to reset the EPS computer? Then see how long that EPS will last ya.

Yeah that EPS computer is a rip off. It's too bad no one's come up with a way to fix it. The friggin thing is jurassic in size and technology. I wonder if it's just a matter of replacing resistors in there or something stupid like that. Maybe send it to Briank and have him replace what he can to see if it works, he might be up for the challenge. That would be another great service he could provide... If only we could understand everything that it does and had a geek here that could make another one.

The unit sits just behind the floor speaker and you could replace it yourself if you had to. But it does take almost an hour to do the job.

pulled the clock fuse light is gone. drove it to vons and back so far still good. is there any connection with the idling too? noticed my idling went down to 5000rpm. thanks guys. i know this is just temporary. who knows this is the only thing that acura is going to do and charge me a bundle. hehehe will update you when i use the car this weekend. raining now in vegas.

APPLEBLUES said:
pulled the clock fuse light is gone. drove it to vons and back so far still good. is there any connection with the idling too? noticed my idling went down to 5000rpm. thanks guys. i know this is just temporary. who knows this is the only thing that acura is going to do and charge me a bundle. hehehe will update you when i use the car this weekend. raining now in vegas.

I think you reset your computer by pulling the clock fuse so it probably cleared whatever mode your car was in. I'm no expert on the ECU.

It may trip the EPS light again and you can keep trying to reset it and see if it clears it up each time. Mine kept doing that until I made my battery healthy again. Good luck!

ok i drove my car to work and what i noticed is if i idle the car for like 5 minutes withouttrning the wheels, eps light wont light up. on my way home after i start my car and steers my car for an inch the eps light went back on. anyway i called acura this morning and told them the problem and i think there is a slight possibility that my eps is going to be fixed for free because of the mileage they brought the matter up to their manager. i'll be getting a phone call tomorrow. question, is there any relation to my idle when i removed the fuse on the clock and put it back on the idle went down to 5000 rpm. now i'm really worried

I had the light come on today. I have owned the car all of about 8 hours before the light came on. I did the clock fuse thingy(thanks to malibu rapper) and it did turn the light off. Can I expect the light will/could come on again? Will the light come on "in flight" or will it wait till the car has been turned off then turned back on?
Thank you in advance.
T

terrypancake said:
Can I expect the light will/could come on again? Will the light come on "in flight" or will it wait till the car has been turned off then turned back on?
T

Mine kept coming on every so often until I think I nursed the battery back to good health. It seemed to come back on every other time when I started the car. Although the battery had sufficient juice to crank the car over, it was confusing the heck out of my Vector battery charger pretty much thinking it was dead. The Vector reported some kind of an error with the battery. So I said what the heck and ran a desulfization on it overnight and the next morning, the Vector reported a functional battery and it had tons of cranking power. After that, no more EPS light. Not saying that's gonna be the same for you, but it's worth a shot. The Vector is an awesome charger if you don't already have a good charger.

When that EPS light comes on, you should be losing your power steering correct?

Malibu Rapper said:
Sorry. Yes I do lose power steering. And every time I pull the clock fuse the clock loses time. Now what? Just kidding. Even I know that one.
Which model Vector do you have? I need a good charger.

T

I had the 2/10/20A model. I returned it to PepBoys after finding the 2/20/40/100 model on eBay for less than what I paid for the smaller one, even less if you buy one of the reconditioned units which come with full mfg warranty. I think Lowes actually sells them for a good price if you have one in your area. They have a great little battery maintainer made by Vector, too.

ok i got a deal with acura dealership here in las vegas. they are willing to fix my eps for 1/2 the price since the milage of my nsx is 36000. we went back and forth trying to plead my case and i called the main acura office and did'nt do me any good. anyway the parts is on the way and they will call me as soon as they receive it. dealership said its not a recall instead its something that will happen in the future. my question to them is that i have them service my car eversince i got it and why the heck they did'nt change it before.

If you don't mind me asking, What is it going to cost?
Thank you.
T

Malibu Rapper said:
Mine kept coming on every so often until I think I nursed the battery back to good health. It seemed to come back on every other time when I started the car. Although the battery had sufficient juice to crank the car over, it was confusing the heck out of my Vector battery charger pretty much thinking it was dead. The Vector reported some kind of an error with the battery. So I said what the heck and ran a desulfization on it overnight and the next morning, the Vector reported a functional battery and it had tons of cranking power. After that, no more EPS light. Not saying that's gonna be the same for you, but it's worth a shot. The Vector is an awesome charger if you don't already have a good charger.

Thank you for putting all your past experiences in this forum. This is the most valuable site you can ever get.:smile:

I had the EPS went on last week and followed all the suggested method in this forum. I finally replaced a new battery after 2 years of its life, the EPS no longer lighted up!!! Fast and easy way to repair it!!!:cool:

APPLEBLUES said:
ok i drove my car to work and what i noticed is if i idle the car for like 5 minutes withouttrning the wheels, eps light wont light up. on my way home after i start my car and steers my car for an inch the eps light went back on. anyway i called acura this morning and told them the problem and i think there is a slight possibility that my eps is going to be fixed for free because of the mileage they brought the matter up to their manager. i'll be getting a phone call tomorrow. question, is there any relation to my idle when i removed the fuse on the clock and put it back on the idle went down to 5000 rpm. now i'm really worried

Sounds like a voltage drop when the current goes up; in turn the EPS light turning on. While it could be internal or the PSU, more likely its the battery or wiring- often the ground for the EPS rack located top center on the front cross member. It would be worth a cursory check to eliminate those prior.

I had a problem with my EPS unit, so I sent it away to a company who repaired it for free because they'd never done one before and needed the practice.
Often the problem is just a faulty relay.

Cheers,

James.

APPLEBLUES said:
parts alone will cost $1300. plus 1 hour labor which is $65. i'm paying $744.33 everything.

Are you going to Falconi's on Sahara? I'm not a big fan of them. They seem to be really expensive and do marginal work.

Papalazarou said:
I had a problem with my EPS unit, so I sent it away to a company who repaired it for free because they'd never done one before and needed the practice.
Often the problem is just a faulty relay.

Cheers,

James.

james,
can you give me the info on the company who you sent it out to. i would greatly appriciate it.

Back