• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS Light after pickup from Body Shop

I had my NSX at the body shop for some wetsanding and buffing. Before I dropped it off, I made note of the mileage. When I went to pick it up yesterday, it tacked on about 3-4 miles. Is this necessary for just surface work???! The EPS light was on and of course my power steering is off. My first reaction was to pull the clock fuse. It went away and came back on. Today, it kicked back on leaving the bank. Now, they somehow put about 4 miles on the NSX during the day. Should I suspect foul play or was it just due time for my unit to go out? I have ~31,000 miles on the car. First my climate control unit and now this. I must have electronic gremlims. Is this even worth fighting with the shop to get them to replace it? All of this just occurred yesterday.

I know there is a warranty on the unit, but I am far past the 8 years. As far as steering goes, the only difference I notice is when I am at a dead stand still or backing out of a drive way slowly, cause you don't want to scrape. I can do without the PS, I mean all of you 91-94 manual guys do it. Will this harm the system at all? Can I disable it manually, the light... etc. I am viewing all options right now because I really do not want to foot an expensive bill for something that is not needed and should be covered. I guess this what happens when you get any old car, regardless of mileage. More luxuries, more problems... I have yet to even take out my CCU and send it off.

Sweet. Two birds with one stone. PM me the total for the CCU and EPS if you don't want to post it out. I will try and pull the code??? At a local autozone? I hope it's a code 22

Sweet. Two birds with one stone. PM me the total for the CCU and EPS if you don't want to post it out. I will try and pull the code??? At a local autozone? I hope it's a code 22

You can pull the code yourself, jumper the blue connector under the glove box and turn on the key and count the long and short blinks of the EPS light. you are looking for 2 short and 2 long.

Ahhh.... that's right, I forgot about that. I need to find a paperclip now and wait for this light to pop back on. Hopefully it won't for while lol. Either way you will eventually get my CCU in the mail atleast =)

Ahhh.... that's right, I forgot about that. I need to find a paperclip now and wait for this light to pop back on. Hopefully it won't for while lol. Either way you will eventually get my CCU in the mail atleast =)

Why would you have to wait? Unless you have pulled that fuse and reset the ECU, the code will be saved so you can retrieve it at a later time.

Well I think the extra miles came from the ass-es joy riding it around the block a few times,, not cool at all,, there was a thread awhile back where the Acura Dealer Mechanic took the car for a "inspection test drive" and turned the TCS off while it was raining and wrecked the car,, called the owner told him the news and they said the mechanic wasnt insured under their insurance policy,, and that was the dealer!! and that owner got shafted hard!! I would bitch about it,, and now there is a problem with your car who knows what they did or what they ran over,, or how many curbs they took out!! not the mention how many inches of rubber they took off the wheels WHILE the TCS off,, peeling out,,, when you got in did the clutch feel different or did you smell clutch? I hate people that dont respect another mans treasure you worked hard for that toy!! makes me mad!!

Last edited:
maybe the extra miles came from testing to see if the new paint will come off??? :mad:

Perhaps they went to a car wash before returning it to you. :redface:

Yes, I do not know how why it has the extra miles on it. It was supposed to be moved around the back to the garage and then back to parking. That does not take 3 miles or even half a mile. I really don't understand what the urge to joy rides cars that you are professionally working on. I would like to catch them in the act. The shop is about 1 mile away from home. Just pull up beside them and say nice NSX. Wait, I have the real keys right here... I wonder what their reaction would be.

The light has not come back on yet, so I really don't have a case to argue, til it comes back on atleast. Hopefully it will not come back on, even tho it's reared its head twice now...

i would go back, just for the principle of it, and tell them that not only they lost one customer but everyone you know will be warned. there is no f-ing excuse for joy rides, as a matter of fact, had they killed anyone while doing it your insurance company would get sued as well.

i would go back, just for the principle of it, and tell them that not only they lost one customer but everyone you know will be warned. there is no f-ing excuse for joy rides, as a matter of fact, had they killed anyone while doing it your insurance company would get sued as well.

I hear you on the principles thing. I comtemplated this, calling or stopping by to make a fuss. I def will never do business with them again nor would I recommend anyone with nice cars to go there. The thing is that if it was just normal car, like a Camry, they wouldn't think twice about taking it for a spin. Still is not right, no matter what car it is. The EPS light has not resurfaced and my car did not have any signs of abuse. I guess this is hard to tell when it was also detailed and cleaned.

I could probably blame this on the shop, but I am aware that the EPS issue is more related by design vs. abuse. I would not feel right trying to pinch a shop out of hundreds of dollars and just putting more stress on my part. They still had no right joyriding my car, but my car appears to be undamaged and abused, so I would like to believe they took it for spin, taking it easy, maybe got on it to get a feel for the power and just wanted to ride in it. They could have asked tho and I would have given them a ride. LOL. I will def be more specific next time whenever I drop my car off, taking photos of mileage and such; making sure that I will know if I my car is driven more than it supposed to.

One thing that I will mention is that the EPS light was coming on when I had been trying out my recently purchased 15/16 wheels for the 91-93 style. I own a 95, so its supposed to run 16/17 with larger fronts. Perhaps the smaller diameter fronts had something to do with it? They had the stock A022H1 and boy did they ride loud and rough. Wheel wobble/roar (don't confuse with vibration, cause there was none really) was terrible at speeds of 25mph to 50mph. I even had they rebalanced and still no difference. I did have them inflated to 35 front and 44 rear, so maybe this was too much pressure? Perhaps this was triggering the EPS test failures? IDK, but I have 17/18s on now and so far so good. I will update if things change and pull codes.

Sorry this happened to you. :frown:

It's easy to say after the fact, but everyone needs to get in the habit of telling the service manager "I wrote down the exact mileage, if there is so much as 1 extra mile on this when I come back, we're going to have a serious talk. If you need to road test it, call me and I'll come back and ride shotgun."

No excuse for joy rides. If I wanted monkeys to drive my car, I'd take it to the zoo.

Same thing just happened to me the guys at the car wash hit the curb as his hands slipped of the steering wheel. Messed up my Shine GT lip and made the EPS light go on and now after reseting the clock fuse twice it still comes back on:confused:
What can it be?

Same thing just happened to me the guys at the car wash hit the curb as his hands slipped of the steering wheel. Messed up my Shine GT lip and made the EPS light go on and now after reseting the clock fuse twice it still comes back on:confused:
What can it be?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the eps as it won't go away and after 10 mins of driving the tcs n check engine light also come on.

Pull some codes and see what you get. If you get a code 22, BrianK says he can help fix it. Sounds like you may have damaged your steering components if you hit something tho. Perhaps Briank can explain more into depth about the code 22, cause I'm sure if its actual physical damage and not electronic malfunction, then I believe it will get quite expensive, as you have labor and new parts involved. I'm guessing if its a code 22, then he will go in and fix the electronic malfunction.

From what I read the ECU does a check up on the EPS during warm up for about 15 secs or so checking for actual physical malfuctions or faults in the system. If you move the steering wheel during this test, the EPS light will go on and shut off the PS. Eventually this test gets screwed up for whatever reason, worn electrical board? The test will start shutting off EPS even if there are no problems with the actual EPS system. A new ECU is needed or the board needs to be repaired? That's my guess, I'm sure BrianK can explain further. If it's not a code 22 and something else, then it may be actual damage to your steering components. So I will also guess that a code 22 is for moved steering wheel during test supposedly. Any other codes from the EPS light and it will try to specify the area of malfunction. I do not know the codes for EPS tho, as I have only found the codes for the CEL.

Last edited:
I had that same problem with EPS light coming on periodically..one time after coming out of the shop. So my initial reation was...they did something to my car :frown: but then it went away by itself the next day or after I reset the ECU. It happened like once a month or something like that. Then after about 3 months....my speed sensor went bad. Turns out...bad speed sensor can affect your power steering. So I think my speed sensor was starting to go bad which cause EPS light to go up. After I changed out my speed sensor...haven't had EPS light problem:biggrin:
Eric

I agree with Ferrarikiller. I used to have intermittent EPS drop-outs which gradually became total dropout, until I replaced the speed sensor, which cleared up the problem. It hasn't recurred for several years now.

Last edited:
Where do I buy the speed sensor? It's probably that as now when the eps light goes on after about 30 mins of driving my speedometer reads 0 the RPM still work just not the speedometer. And than also the check engine light goes on and tcs. This really sucks because till now my nsx has been more than relaiable. Now this an the ac/heater unit not blowing is killing me. I need to fix it asap.

Call Ray Lak's Acura (1-888-RAY-LAKS) and ask for Tim. He will hook you up with a 25% discount plus free shipping. I think he has had several orders on these recently and should be familiar with what you need.

Yeah...it's $129 shipped anywhere in US. That would fix your EPS light problem but I'm not sure about check engine light or TCS thhough. Hopefully it will take care of itself?:) I have a remote start alarm in mine and everytime I remote start the car the TCS light went up but then went away next time when I started with the key.
You might want to bring it to the shop for them to change out the Speedsensor...the dealer quoted me $210 for labor..maybe it will be cheaper somewhere else. It did it myself..took me an hour and a half! and scraped up my hand a bit. It's not hard...just a simple unplug and unscrew two screws but it's in a very tight spot to get to.

Eric

Call Ray Lak's Acura (1-888-RAY-LAKS) and ask for Tim. He will hook you up with a 25% discount plus free shipping. I think he has had several orders on these recently and should be familiar with what you need.

Yeah...it's $129 shipped anywhere in US. That would fix your EPS light problem but I'm not sure about check engine light or TCS thhough. Hopefully it will take care of itself?:) I have a remote start alarm in mine and everytime I remote start the car the TCS light went up but then went away next time when I started with the key.
You might want to bring it to the shop for them to change out the Speedsensor...the dealer quoted me $210 for labor..maybe it will be cheaper somewhere else. It did it myself..took me an hour and a half! and scraped up my hand a bit. It's not hard...just a simple unplug and unscrew two screws but it's in a very tight spot to get to.

Eric

Thanks, I will order that part. Did your Tcs/check engine light also come on 30 mins after driving wiht the eps light? It started to do that lately on mine.

Back