• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS light on: Power Steering Not Working

Hello,

I just replaced a battery in my car after it's been stored in a garage for the last 5 months.

I went for a drive and 15 minutes going in, the EPS light came out and the power steering stopped working. I restarted the car several times, but the light remained on and the power steering continued to stop working.

What a way to start the season!

Has anyone had similar issues?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Pull the clock fuse out....then put it back in, and re-start the car. This should work....if the problem continues to happen it may be more serious.

Same problem on my car, dead battery upon startup, after sitting for five weeks. Happened again after clock fuse reset, and new battery. Cleaned and tightened every ground I could find. Problem has not happened again.

I took out the clock fuse, waited for 10 min, put it back and restarted the car. The EPS light is still one :(

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer. The car is 2000. Would Acura provide any goodwill on this?

Last edited:
Pull the trouble code, then contact briank and see if it is something he can fix

Thanks so much for your help. Never had this issue before until I stored my car this winter.

Will pull the code and reach out to BrianK.

I used the OBD II reader to read the code, but there was no code stored!!!! I tried to clear the code, but no code to clear and the EPS stays on. :mad:

The car has only 40k miles and the only thing that I did in the past 4 months was to change the battery yesterday.

I would be really shocked if the car needs a completely new power steering rack.

I used the OBD II reader to read the code, but there was no code stored!!!! I tried to clear the code, but no code to clear and the EPS stays on. :mad:

The car has only 40k miles and the only thing that I did in the past 4 months was to change the battery yesterday.

I would be really shocked if the car needs a completely new power steering rack.

I would send the EPS to Brian for testing and repair first:):). This is a easy swap if required. Just LMK and I can talk you through it.

Regards,
LarryB

Refer to the service manual for your year for how to pull the codes....... you have a pm:wink:

I would send the EPS to Brian for testing and repair first:):). This is a easy swap if required. Just LMK and I can talk you through it.

Regards,
LarryB

Thank you, Larry, for sharing your input.

I am now wondering whether I tested this correctly. Someone told me that I would need to test the EPS with the SCS service connector in the passenger footwell, not with the OBD II reader.

Where can I get the SCS service connector?

The 2 pin BLUE connector is located just under the right side of the glove box, just above the carpet.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks so much, Larry.

Both Don (nsxter) and BrianK reached out to me and gave me pointers.

Hopefully, I can get this sorted out.

Thanks again.

fyi...there is a technical service bulletin (TSB 97-037) regarding a fault in the electronic power steering applicable to cars with VIN ranges thru JH4NA....VT000309 that may be applicable to your car.

I had the same problem for over a year.

I finally had to change my battery and found that the negative terminal was not tightened all of the way that entire time.

I installed a new battery and now the light is off.

Just a thought, check your battery terminals and make sure they are tight.

Back