• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ever use your NSX for a good cause?

I am amazed sometimes at how excited some people get when they see my NSX. Now that its supercharged and has some nice mods on it, I am sure it will be even more intriguing.

I am in the big brother/big sister program, and my "little" brother's jaw drops everytime he sees the car. He is just 8. Very cute and a very cool kid. He begged me to pick him up from school once in that car. I am sure it will make him look cool in his friends' eyes for a long time.

But I was wondering if there is an even better way to put this car to even better use. For example I remember watching TV and some kid with cancer in a hospital was talking about how he loved sports cars. It really made me want to be there, and take him for a ride in the NSX. Maybe then this hunk of metal that I pay so much attention to will actually have some real value.

I was even thinking about having a raffle... at a local school or something... a $10 donation and the winner gets to get a ride around a track (I am concerned with liabilities here but perhaps I can get the local police involved even, they seem to like my car). I would even let someone drive it if they drove well enough and were calm enough. I am pretty sure that where I live, this would be the coolest car to be in at a high school prom or something. I could then put that money to some good use.

I know there are some events where a bunch of guys do a car show for a charity, but those seem impersonal to me and I don't really know where that money is going. I would like to do something where the person being affected by people's generosity is known first hand. Someone local that really needs help.

So I am looking for ideas or some feedback if anyone has ever done such a thing.

Turbo, I have been looking to do these type of events for some time. I've actually been highly considering joining a big brother type of program but am not sure how it would work out with my schedule since I work almost everyday. I too feel exactly the same about doing charity events to raise money and have not a clue where all the money would go. I guess we can only do so much. How often do they require you to be with the kid in those programs?

Every year we participate at Kids Day at Watkins Glenn. Many Boston area members also make the trip. We take kids from camp Good Days (kids with terminal cancer) for parade laps around the track. I've done it the past 3 years. The kids are bussed in the cars are lined up (everything from Ferarris, NSX's, Porsches, Vettes, etc),they get to choose which car they want to go in for a ride, we take 2-3 parade laps with the child, than drop them off, and take the next one for laps. The smiles on their faces almost match the smiles on our faces, the rewards are huge!!! It's in July, see the following link and be there!!!

https://www.trackmasters.com/Page.asp?Script=1

Once, I was contacted by a girl who wanted to make her boyfriend happy buy letting him experience a NSX once. He had recently lost his CRX which was a car he had put a lot of work into and the NSX was his favorite car.
So, one day, without the guy knowing anything, I showed up at their door, rang the bell and asked politely if they had ordered a taxi.
The guy was close to tears when his girlfriend told him what was in store for him. Spend the whole afternoon there and even got a picture-book as a present will all the pictures of that day.

Last year, I participate with lots of other NSX-drivers at a Racing Against Cancer-event where you take kids of have cancer (and their relatives) around the track in your NSX. Also a very rewarding experience.

Like Turbo2Go, I am sometimes surprised by the level of excitement the NSX can generate with some people. The NSX is a very special car to me and means more to me than any car before that but it always feels a bit strange to see the car stirring up that kind of emotions in someone else.

As Roger mentioned there is Kids Day at the Glen and I have also done events for Ronald McDonald House which appeared on the Morning show here in NYC. There was also the Toys for tots Hosp car show.

From Kids Day at the Glen

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73391&highlight=kids+day+photos

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55797&highlight=kids+day+photos

NYU Hosp Exotic Car Show Toys for Tots

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95809&page=12&highlight=toys+hospital

Ronald McDonald House Rides for kids run

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83956&page=4&highlight=ronald+mcdonald

Last edited:
Turbo, I have been looking to do these type of events for some time. I've actually been highly considering joining a big brother type of program but am not sure how it would work out with my schedule since I work almost everyday. I too feel exactly the same about doing charity events to raise money and have not a clue where all the money would go. I guess we can only do so much. How often do they require you to be with the kid in those programs?

Unit-x, I would definitely recommend it, I really like it. All you have to do is see the kid one hour every 2 weeks. Thats only 2 hours a month. Of course I do more because I like it. If you are on vacation or holidays, you just let them know that week you won't be there and then make it up later. The kid will always want to see you... you have to put some limits on it. But its not a huge commitment at all.

I find mine is starting to ask me questions he probably wouldn't ask others. Its a special relationship and worthwhile. If you own an NSX you are like God to some of these kids already. They will always talk about how "cool" their big brother/sister is.

The SS #... they will ask you some confidential questions. Its done so they can do a background check to make sure you are not some type of child molester I guess. Its not a credit check and its kept very confidential. You have to understand they don't want to hand kids over to just anyone.

Unit-x, I would definitely recommend it, I really like it. All you have to do is see the kid one hour every 2 weeks. Thats only 2 hours a month. Of course I do more because I like it. If you are on vacation or holidays, you just let them know that week you won't be there and then make it up later. The kid will always want to see you... you have to put some limits on it. But its not a huge commitment at all.

I find mine is starting to ask me questions he probably wouldn't ask others. Its a special relationship and worthwhile. If you own an NSX you are like God to some of these kids already. They will always talk about how "cool" their big brother/sister is.

The SS #... they will ask you some confidential questions. Its done so they can do a background check to make sure you are not some type of child molester I guess. Its not a credit check and its kept very confidential. You have to understand they don't want to hand kids over to just anyone.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and sign up for it as i have been looking to for awhile but your post really made me get up and do it.

I just got inspired and signed up for BBBS.
I always wanted to do that too.

Wow thats cool guys! I am really happy that three others are looking into it now because of my post. There are a lot of good kids out there with no dad and no brothers, no one to look up to and learn from. You make a big difference in their life. They will never forget you.

My little already asked me the other day "do you think we can be friends forever?"... lol....

This would be great especially for a good cause. My brother had been taking my car to his high school numerous times and took his gf in it to prom. Yes everyones' mouth drop. :biggrin:

that is such a cool ride
001st0.jpg

i bet that kid gets all the ladies :)

Back